Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sananda

macrumors 68030
May 24, 2007
Out of interest does anyone know what happens if you exceed the limit? Do you have to pay for the extra data, or will they cut you off or will they do like most ISPs and just slow you down?

from o2:

Regarding the fair use policy, since we don't expect the vast majority
of our customers to reach this limit, we will deal with customers that
go over it on a case-by-case basis. We will be flexible with the limit
and point out to customers where they have gone over, but we will not
cut off their service.

MacMonkee

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2007
UK
* The Data Max 1024 subscription package allows you unlimited use of O2's 3G/GPRS Mobile Data Services. Fair usage policy applies and average monthly usage is expected to be below 1024MB. O2 reserves the right to apply extra charges or to withdraw the Data Max 1024 service from any individual at any time in the case of suspected overuse or abuse of the service. Any charges introduced shall be binding and final between You and O2 and shall not be the subject of mediation or arbitration.

I just found this for business users on the O2 website - they get a much better deal on data usage! However, when I looked at the Blackberry for consumers they only get 200MB as well. But we get a better deal than them because they don't have WI-FI - suckers! :p

sananda

macrumors 68030
May 24, 2007
Ok I've just had a thought - has 200MB been confirmed for the iPhone's data plan or is this for other O2 users?

yes 200Mb has been confirmed for iphone. and it is also the same fair use policy for the bolt on for other plans.

mkjj

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 2, 2003
Liverpool
Mind you, feel so much better now TMobile have announced (almost) the German tariffs, ouch!

100 mins and 40 txts for approx £35:eek:

danielforman

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2007
If O2 think that 200mb is going to be enough they are going to have a big wake up call on the first weekend of the iPhone being available becuase it would not surprise me if a lot of people go over 200mb in the first few days.

New product + curiosity and need to play with it = a lot of data usage

I plan to get one on nov 9 and i bet i spend a lot of time over that weekend surfing the web, emailing, using google maps and you tube. I bet a lot of other people will do as well.

After the intial few days or weeks of the launch in the UK then the data usage may subside a bit as people may not play with the internet as much as they did when they first got it. But I cant see 200mb being enough in my opinion.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
If O2 think that 200mb is going to be enough they are going to have a big wake up call on the first weekend of the iPhone being available becuase it would not surprise me if a lot of people go over 200mb in the first few days.

New product + curiosity and need to play with it = a lot of data usage

I plan to get one on nov 9 and i bet i spend a lot of time over that weekend surfing the web, emailing, using google maps and you tube. I bet a lot of other people will do as well.

After the intial few days or weeks of the launch in the UK then the data usage may subside a bit as people may not play with the internet as much as they did when they first got it. But I cant see 200mb being enough in my opinion.

All very good points.

That's exactly how I'll be approaching it.

Then I'll be contacting Ofcom when I get that 'fair usage' policy email from O2. 'Unlimited' should mean more than a zip disk's worth of data imo.

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
If they market it as unlimited I expect unlimited.

The word unlimited itself is define as

# having no limits in range or scope; "to start with a theory of unlimited freedom is to end up with unlimited despotism"- Philip Rahv; "the ...
# outright: without reservation or exception
# inexhaustible: that cannot be entirely consumed or used up; "an inexhaustible supply of coal"

So to have a 200MB limit means that it is false advertising and misrepresentation, plain and simple. I hope they are sued to high hell.

Is there any precedent set in law? Perhaps those broadband 'unlimited' 'up to 8MB' offers?

sananda

macrumors 68030
May 24, 2007
If they market it as unlimited I expect unlimited.

The word unlimited itself is define as

# having no limits in range or scope; "to start with a theory of unlimited freedom is to end up with unlimited despotism"- Philip Rahv; "the ...
# outright: without reservation or exception
# inexhaustible: that cannot be entirely consumed or used up; "an inexhaustible supply of coal"

So to have a 200MB limit means that it is false advertising and misrepresentation, plain and simple. I hope they are sued to high hell.

Is there any precedent set in law? Perhaps those broadband 'unlimited' 'up to 8MB' offers?

it's one thing to offer unlimited and then apply a fair use policy that kicks in when you've exceeded a high figure, but to call it unlimited and then apply a very low level limit is just unfair.

it's certainly oxymoronic but whether it amounts to false advertising or a misrepresentation depends on whether they make the fair use policy clearly known to customers. at present they have set out the policy to me in an email but they haven't put it on their website.

dogtanian

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2007
Bournemouth, UK
If everyone is so irritated, i'd direct you to OFCOM and their complaints service. I'm going to make a complaint because they should not be able to make such wild claims in such a regulated market.

Looking at the Deutsche T-Mobile plans make me feel better though :eek::p

I think the only option for the early iPhone adopters that will believe they will exceed the 'Unlimited' but still limited 200MB per month often would be to unlock it or buy it unlocked from France when its out. Wish the UK had the same rules of unlocking as much of Europe has. If we did of course we'd be contacting OFCOM complaining about the unjustifiable price hike of the Sim Free version being sold!

For those who think the data plan is misleading for the product:

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/complain/mobile/company/misselling/?itemid=286240

Nicolasdec

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2006
São Paulo
If everyone is so irritated, i'd direct you to OFCOM and their complaints service. I'm going to make a complaint because they should not be able to make such wild claims in such a regulated market.

Looking at the Deutsche T-Mobile plans make me feel better though :eek::p

I think the only option for the early iPhone adopters that will believe they will exceed the 'Unlimited' but still limited 200MB per month often would be to unlock it or buy it unlocked from France when its out. Wish the UK had the same rules of unlocking as much of Europe has. If we did of course we'd be contacting OFCOM complaining about the unjustifiable price hike of the Sim Free version being sold!

For those who think the data plan is misleading for the product:

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/complain/mobile/company/misselling/?itemid=286240

Thanks for the link, Please every body make a complaint about o2 Fake advertising.

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
While 200Mb doesn't sound a lot, interestingly from the replies coming in from US users in the other thread about this it may well be enough for most people. The 60 hours cloud fair use limit seems fine - if you can spend more than that surfing the web at hotspots in a month you mustn't have a job! :)

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
While 200Mb doesn't sound a lot, interestingly from the replies coming in from US users in the other thread about this it may well be enough for most people. The 60 hours cloud fair use limit seems fine - if you can spend more than that surfing the web at hotspots in a month you mustn't have a job! :)

I personally dont think I will use tht much just over EDGE. But that isn't the point. They should advertise it as 200MB of data, not unlimited data.

dogtanian

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2007
Bournemouth, UK
Anybody know what the fair use policy with the US AT&T tariff is? Can't find much mention of it anywhere. Also, how strict are they with it?

Thanks in advance :)

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
This is a common problem with ISPs at the moment and while they continue to get away with it, other companies will follow suit.

dombookpro

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2007
For all those who are pissed off about the fair use limit - As I think we all are - I recommend getting urself down to McDonalds to cane their free Wifi. A nice hot chocolate and a surf ought to do it. And there are a LOT of McDonalds restaurants around... ;)

CD3660

macrumors 603
Jun 6, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom.
Thanks for the link, Please every body make a complaint about o2 Fake advertising.
Another possibility is to complain to the Advertising Standards Authority. As I understand it, however, the adverts won't start for another week or so.

When O2 start running them they are bound to be claiming 'unlimited data' whilst hiding the fair usage limits in very small print.

http://www.asa.org.uk/asa/how_to_complain/complaints_form/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.