Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Original poster
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Everything you wanted to know about how OS X installation and licensing works...let's try to keep discussion here in this thread and I'll try to keep this first post updated with new questions and refined answers as they pop up. Keep in mind that these answers are based on what is known about the upcoming Leopard release and and how things currently work with Tiger. There are no guarantees that Leopard will be treated in exactly the same way as Tiger, so this is simply the best guess based on available information.

I just bought a computer that came with Tiger installed on it. Can I upgrade to Leopard for free or at least cheaply?
If you purchased your Mac on or after October 1st, you can qualify to upgrade to Leopard for US$9.95. For more details on the program, see Apple's site.

Is it possible to get preinstalled Leopard on a new Mac and get a family pack (but only with 4 installs) version of Leopard for a discounted price?
No. The version of Leopard that comes with your new Mac is tied to your specific model of machine and also includes the bundled software that comes with your machine. The retail version of Leopard is considered completely separate.

Does OS X require a serial number or activation code in order to install on my machine?
No. Simply pop in the disc and select the type of installation you want to do (upgrade, archive and install, erase and install), enter your computer's password when prompted, and let the installer do its thing.

What is the "family pack?"
The family pack allows you to install OS X on up to five computers that are primarily housed at a single address. Students who are away at college are also permitted to participate in a family pack in conjunction with other users at their permanent residence. From Apple's Leopard Pre-Order Page:
The Family Pack Software License Agreement allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple software on up to a maximum of five (5) Apple-labeled computers at a time as long as those computers are located in the same household and used by persons who occupy that household. By “household” we mean a person or persons who share the same housing unit such as a home, apartment, mobile home, or condominium, including student members who are primary residents of that household but reside at a separate on-campus location. This license does not extend to business or commercial users.

Can unrelated roommates take advantage of a family pack?
Users are not explicitly required to be members of a single family, so roommates would be able to take advantage of the family pack. Keep in mind that you only receive one disc, and should a roommate move out, they would no longer be permitted to use the OS under the family pack license.

Four of my friends and I, not living in the same residence, want to split a family pack amongst ourselves. Is this allowed under the terms of the license?
No.

Will the family pack be available at brick-and-mortar Apple Stores at the release events (Friday, October 26th at 6 PM)?
See this thread for discussion of the topic, but your best bet appears to be calling your local Apple Store ahead of time to check.

Will Apple know if I violate the terms of the license?
Probably not. In the case of Tiger, there are no serial numbers that need to be entered, and the software does not contact Apple to verify licensing.

So why should I adhere to the licensing terms?
In short, because you agree to do so in purchasing the software. Apple relies on the honesty of their users to use the software in accordance with the terms. Users are rewarded with a very simple installation process and no worries about problems reinstalling the software on the same machine whenever necessary.

What are the penalties for violating the license terms?
Violating the terms of a software license in not a criminal offense, so you won't be going to jail. It is, however, a civil matter, and should Apple discover the license violation and decide it was worth pursuing in a court of law, they could certainly do so and attempt to recover damages from you. While the likelihood of this occurring is extremely low, it is not zero, so it is something you should be aware of. Widespread license violations also increase the chances that Apple will be forced to turn to Microsoft-style activation in the future, inconveniencing all users. So please, for your conscience and for the benefit of all users, stick to the terms of the license. :)

Retired
May 16, 2006
Thank you for this WildCowboy, there have been tons of threads on this subject in the last few days...unfortunately I think those creating them won't bother to search for this :(

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Thanks WildCowboy.

It gets tedious answering the same thing over and over.

Not that my post count minds. :rolleyes:

Thank you for this WildCowboy, there have been tons of threads on this subject in the last few days...unfortunately I think those creating them won't bother to search for this :(
It's a sticky. ;)

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Original poster
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
It's a sticky. ;)

Which guarantees that it won't be seen. ;)

But I'd like to keep as much as possible in this thread, so please let posters of new threads on this topic know about this sticky and let the mods know so that we can handle things appropriately. Thanks.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Which guarantees that it won't be seen. ;)

But I'd like to keep as much as possible in this thread, so please let posters of new threads on this topic know about this sticky and let the mods know so that we can handle things appropriately. Thanks.
Heh, I hope this thread isn't doomed yet.

Testing thread tag

I'll just try to memorize the thread number. ;)

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Great idea WildCowboy.

Can we add a link to Apple's terms and conditions page if readers have more questions about the license?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Original poster
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Can we add a link to Apple's terms and conditions page if readers have more questions about the license?

I've quoted the footnote from Apple's pre-order page regarding family pack terms, but AFAIK, no additional Leopard license terms have been made public. Feel free to point me in the right direction if anybody knows more...thanks.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
I've quoted the footnote from Apple's pre-order page regarding family pack terms, but AFAIK, no additional Leopard license terms have been made public. Feel free to point me in the right direction if anybody knows more...thanks.

I just meant something like this page so that readers can read whatever they want for themselves. There is a clear explanation of the upgrade process and such towards the middle of the page, so it might be nice for those who are in a somewhat grey area in terms of which version to buy.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Original poster
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Great...thanks. That's a very helpful site for those who've recently purchased a Mac. :)

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Great...thanks. That's a very helpful site for those who've recently purchased a Mac. :)

No problem. Glad I could help.:)

Oh, one more little thing :)o) could we have a little line at the bottom, under What are the penalties for violating the license terms? that says,

"Please be honest. Do not engage in Piracy." or something?

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
This thread's a great idea. Let's just hope it slows the stem of the repetitive threads at least a little bit. :)

Veri

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
EULA vs copyright law

WildCowboy said:
So why should I adhere to the licensing terms?
In short, because you agree to do so in purchasing the software. Apple relies on the honesty of their users to use the software in accordance with the terms.

Hypothetical: I buy a new Mini with Leopard to use as a home server, but Tiger suffices for my needs; so I install my iMac's copy of Tiger on it, and then move the Leopard install to my iMac. The EULA in the box with my Tiger preinstall appears to disapprove of this, but it is unreasonable to give me extra terms after I've paid. I can't sell you a couch with a piece of paper under the cushion telling you that you agree not to use it for sleeping on. Only copyright law really binds what I can/cannot do.

(If I still feel uncomfortable about ignoring the EULA, I should at least be entitled to a full refund. But Apple does not even provide this option: in the UK, there's a restocking penalty, which they claim to be a transit fee, but it does not cost over $100 to ship a Mini.)

Widespread license violations also increase the chances that Apple will be forced to turn to Microsoft-style activation in the future, inconveniencing all users. So please, for your conscience and for the benefit of all users, stick to the terms of the license. :)

"Forced" suggests that activation is some sort of solution - indeed, the only solution - to unauthorised copying. I have a paid-for retail copy of Windows XP Pro, yet I have been sure to break activation/WGA on my install. These methods do not prevent unauthorised copies except on a small scale - but they do tip the balance of power in favour of Microsoft, which is what Microsoft is all about. If Apple implement activation, it'll be because they're interested in eliminating your perception of ownership of your own computer, not to prevent unauthorised copying.

I think it's more convincing to argue against making unauthorised copies of OS X by appealing to the purpose of copyright law, i.e. Apple won't develop anything if no-one pays for it, but not by appeal to "licensing terms" or threats of Microsoft activation. You only agree to terms before payment if you're an ADC member.

Nordichund

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
Oslo, Norway
Thanks for that. However concerning the first point about those purchasing Macs on or after October 1, does anyone know if this applies to everyone or only for residents of the USA and Canada?

I asked the question on another thread but received no definate answer.

jqc

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
Burning the disc - leopard family pack sharing

Id like to take advantage of the family pack so my sister an mom, both recent converts, can upgrade too. The problem is I live in NYC ad TRH live in Toronto, so I want them to have a copy of the disc. Does anyone know if itsest, or even possible, to burn copies of the disc for them? And if so, how easy is it?

Thx

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Original poster
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Yes, it is technically possible (and legal) to make a backup of the disc, but only for your own purposes. The family pack license requires that all computers reside in the same household, so the license would not permit the scenario you propose. See the first post in this thread for more info on family pack licensing.

Sbrocket

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2007
/dev/null
Yes, it is technically possible (and legal) to make a backup of the disc, but only for your own purposes. The family pack license requires that all computers reside in the same household, so the license would not permit the scenario you propose. See the first post in this thread for more info on family pack licensing.

Not quite: "...including student members who are primary residents of that household but reside at a separate on-campus location..."

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Original poster
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Not quite: "...including student members who are primary residents of that household but reside at a separate on-campus location..."

True...sorry, I was speaking in broad terms and trying not to complicate things with the "student away at school" provision that didn't appear to apply in this situation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.