Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

russellelly

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2006
Glasgow, UK
I don't think this has been covered:

If I update my Tiger iMac installation to Leopard can I then install Tiger on my iBook (currently running Panther)? Both Panther and Tiger came installed with their respective machines.

Both in terms of physically and legally. Thanks :)

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
I don't think this has been covered:

If I update my Tiger iMac installation to Leopard can I then install Tiger on my iBook (currently running Panther)? Both Panther and Tiger came installed with their respective machines.

Both in terms of physically and legally. Thanks :)

I don't think it is legal to install Tiger onto your iBook because your Tiger disk was intended only for that iMac. Sorry.:eek:

Virgil-TB2

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
contracts and laws

... I can't sell you a couch with a piece of paper under the cushion telling you that you agree not to use it for sleeping on. Only copyright law really binds what I can/cannot do....
You are wrong here.

The difference is only that the EULA is a contract and the Copyright law is a "law." You are right in that the copyright laws are the only "laws" in play, but not that they are the only legal binding agreements.

The contract is still the contract and while you likely won't get arrested for breaking it, it still binds what you should/shouldn't do.

You are maintaining that the only thing you have to worry about to "be in the right" is the copyright, but you are still a dick if you break the EULA. Still equally "in the wrong," and eminently sue-able.

You are mixing up the fact that you probably won't be arrested or sued (or ostracised by your fellow humans), with the idea that this would be an okay thing to do. It's the classic, modern, "if they don't see me, it ain't illegal" argument and it's totally specious.

It's pretty clear when and if you should purchase a copy of Tiger or Leopard and they are both fairly inexpensive as well. Apple has set it up so that you can do what you want of course, but don't intimate that there is some kind of moral argument for your position because there isn't.

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
if you buy a single user version, will it theoretically install on another mac computer i own? legal issues aside?
Legal issues aside, there is no "lock" or "serial number" or "product activation" with Leopard, so yes, the same disk can be used to install Leopard on any number of computers.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
if you buy a single user version, will it theoretically install on another mac computer i own? legal issues aside?

Legal issues aside, there is no "lock" or "serial number" or "product activation" with Leopard, so yes, the same disk can be used to install Leopard on any number of computers.

True. However, please don't do it. Apple doesn't do this at this point because it trusts its customers. By resorting to illegal means, you will harm others by forcing them to bother with activation codes, etc. Keep it above board, please :)

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
True. However, please don't do it. Apple doesn't do this at this point because it trusts its customers. By resorting to illegal means, you will harm others by forcing them to bother with activation codes, etc. Keep it above board, please :)
Agreed.

traceshot

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2007
Question:
Just bought the retail version of Leopard and installing it on my Imac.

Still waiting for the cheaper upgrade which I bought seperately for my Macbook (Guess it's coming tomorrow or Monday.).

Could I use the DVD which I bought today for my Imac and install with that ALSO Leopard on my Macbook ?
Since the required original license & DVD is arriving on Monday, Could this potentially give any conflict, because there could be some hidden 'ping' features checking licenses within a given network ???

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Question:
Just bought the retail version of Leopard and installing it on my Imac.

Still waiting for the cheaper upgrade which I bought seperately for my Macbook (Guess it's coming tomorrow or Monday.).

Could I use the DVD which I bought today for my Imac and install with that ALSO Leopard on my Macbook ?
Sure, why not! If you're getting the UTD disk anyway, I don't see any real objection to doing that.

Since the required original license & DVD is arriving on Monday, Could this potentially give any conflict, because there could be some hidden 'ping' features checking licenses within a given network ???
Generally Apple software does not "phone home" to do any sort of check like this like Windows XP/Vista does. I don't think its an issue.

Veri

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
The contract is still the contract
I tip-toe into my local Retailer Ltd and purchase an oPuter with GenerOS 10.5, written by Pear Inc. No terms have been presented before exchange of consideration (money for computer+software), let alone agreed upon. Whether Pear Inc, a third party, can later present terms that must be agreed upon to use a product already purchased, is a legal grey area. It is also morally distinct from the question of making unauthorised copies. I am not passing judgement - I am clarifying the distinction.

I am missing details that may weight the argument: e.g. a notice presented before purchase that license terms which are forthcoming must be agreed to or the product returned for full refund. AFAIK, Apple doesn't offer this in the UK if the hardware is in good order.

I recommend all users who regard an EULA as a regular ol' contract treat it precisely as such, reading through their full license in the company of a lawyer. Find out whether you (a) genuinely understood every legal term on all 6 pages, before this exercise; (b) were able correctly to recognise which terms do not apply in your jurisdiction (many indicate that they may not apply, but don't say where); (c) fully agree, in spirit and letter, with everything Apple's asking. Then click "Agree".

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Sure, why not! If you're getting the UTD disk anyway, I don't see any real objection to doing that.

The low cost upgrade is specific to the model you are purchasing, and by accepting the low cost upgrade, you agree to the contract, so there's my objection :p

Dabisu

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2006
My dad is purchasing the family pack, and we were under the impression that there would be serial keys required. I am going to college, but I live off campus. So even if we did use the 5 user family pack, we would still be breaking the licensing agreement, correct?

I'm coming to the conclusion that both using the 5 user family pack and sharing the one user pack will break the licensing agreement, right?

Not sure what I should do now... I'd like to act morally, but both of the more economically feasible options result in breaking the license agreement.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
My dad is purchasing the family pack, and we were under the impression that there would be serial keys required. I am going to college, but I live off campus. So even if we did use the 5 user family pack, we would still be breaking the licensing agreement, correct?

I'm coming to the conclusion that both using the 5 user family pack and sharing the one user pack will break the licensing agreement, right?

Not sure what I should do now... I'd like to act morally, but both of the more economically feasible options result in breaking the license agreement.

Your situation is one of the "grey" areas of the agreement. :eek:

If you're living at home right now, and you install Leopard while at home, then you're within the terms set by Apple to use the Family Pack. You mentioned that you're going to college, but you seem to indicate that you live somewhere off campus that isn't with your parents. Under the strictest terms, this would not be a proper use of the Family Pack. However, I think it's fair to say that if you visit home frequently enough, and a great deal of your possessions are there, you're within the right to use the Family Pack. After all, you'd be living at 'home' when you visit for the longer Christmas holidays right?

vansouza

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2006
West Plains, MO USA Earth
You are still part of the family

Do you still get mail of any sort delivered at your family address; then the license is fine.

Dabisu

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2006
To be honest, I don't get anything delivered to my old address and most of my stuff is here in my apartment. I tried discussing the matter with my father, he doesn't seem to really understand what I'm talking about.

He only has 2 Macs up where he lives, yet he's buying the 5 user pack, which is kind of a waste. He was planning on giving one to me, but I feel like I should just buy my own at my university's computer store.

vansouza

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2006
West Plains, MO USA Earth
quandry

To be honest, I don't get anything delivered to my old address and most of my stuff is here in my apartment. I tried discussing the matter with my father, he doesn't seem to really understand what I'm talking about.

He only has 2 Macs up where he lives, yet he's buying the 5 user pack, which is kind of a waste. He was planning on giving one to me, but I feel like I should just buy my own at my university's computer store.

I would have been cheaper for you to buy at school and share with the family; even a family pack. Since he already got the family pack, just use his. There are no serial numbers. Lots of people buy the single and use it as a family pack. There is no difference except on the label, mine says family pack and costs more and some one else's will say single or whatever and cost less.

Stop worrying, ego te absolvo.

Dabisu

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2006
I would have been cheaper for you to buy at school and share with the family; even a family pack. Since he already got the family pack, just use his. There are no serial numbers. Lots of people buy the single and use it as a family pack. There is no difference except on the label, mine says family pack and costs more and some one else's will say single or whatever and cost less.

Ok, thanks. He ordered the family pack from Amazon, so it's a bit cheaper and no taxes.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007

There is a great difference in the legal arena. However, this poster is very much in the grey areas of the contract. However, considering the fact that he claimed to not have mail delivered, or have many possessions at his father's home, I'd say he is no longer a "resident" of his father's address. However, considering the fact that college students are rarely permanent residents of any one place for too long, I think in his case it's allowable.

If only it was your permission that he needed ;)

MacMan33

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2007
Chicago
do i have to go into the store to buy this??? I thought i could just pay and download it and upgrade? Please advise, thanks

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
do i have to go into the store to buy this??? I thought i could just pay and download it and upgrade? Please advise, thanks

No, Apple does not have a download option. You must either order a copy online and have it shipped to you or go to a retail store and buy one.

MacPhilosopher

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2005
Phoenix
Upgrade to Family Pack Option?

Is there an option to upgrade from a single user to a family pack? I like it enough on my desktop that I have decided to upgrade my PB. What are my options?

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Is there an option to upgrade from a single user to a family pack? I like it enough on my desktop that I have decided to upgrade my PB. What are my options?

I don't think so. I think your only bet is to buy a second copy. You might try calling Apple and asking them if there is a low cost upgrade, but I've never heard of one.

mikeulus

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2007

Hi...

I hope someone can answer this question. I have two macbook pros, regardless of the legal stuff, can I install a single user copy of leopard onto both laptops without any future drawbacks?

Thanks.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Hi...

I hope someone can answer this question. I have two macbook pros, regardless of the legal stuff, can I install a single user copy of leopard onto both laptops without any future drawbacks?

Thanks.

"regardless of legal stuff" haha um no not gonna disregard it

i dont want to help you steal from the company that many of us own a part of. you would be essentially stealing from us

i really wish we could report EULA violaters as there are so many hypothetical questions if it would work. the person asking the question always say i wont do it but just want to know "if its possible".....bull sh** i wasnt born yesterday

im getting tired of these questions to be honest

mikeulus

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2007

just relax man.

Apparantly you can use the single user version on one desktop, and one laptop. How about two laptops?

An extra fifty dollars is a waste of my valuable money!!! lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.