Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
At risk of drawing the ire of the rumor-faithful, it seems a few stars have aligned again amongst the whispers of rumors across the net.

MacBidouille claims that they were told from several souces to check Apple's website on Monday... presumably hinting at an update of sorts... unfortunately, they have no more details.

Meanwhile, Apple "We are not a rumor site" Turns chimes in with a "recklessly unconfirmed" rumor that the iPod may hit 40GB -- also as early as Monday. While mostly a satirical site, Apple Turns does occasionally play in the rumor-sandbox -- despite their most adamant denials. :)

Finally, AppleInsider publishes a small blurb claiming G4 PowerBooks as early as next week -- but dissenting a bit with the 9th (Tuesday) or 10th (Wednesday) as possible dates. Their notes confirm some previous notes but place the speed of the 15" at 1.25GHz, and adds a few minor case revisions to the mix.

Other items expected from Apple (but without a known timeframe) include iPod Peripherals and an Apple Wireless Keyboard and Mouse.

freaky57

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2003
Michigan
AGHHGAH!

Perhaps the New Powermac G6? Expected delivery date 2010?
OMG! AGGH! I just want the DAMN Dual G5!! Per my order back will ya!@ I NEEEEEEEEEEEEED IT NOW!
I dont care about stupid bluetooth mouse or keyboard or crap about updates! At least give me a new powerbook that will be in my hands before Christmas! MacBidouille is like 99% wrong anyway.

Trust me with all the predicts they have made wrong I could have guessed more right. Oh Yeah we'll see... Monday Yeah Right...

Okay I have my composure back, sorry about that little ranting and raving I just want to cry...9/2 pushed back to 9/23 this really sucks. The part that is really bad is that there is a 100% chance that I will check the Apple site Monday just in case... :(

two_tail

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2002
Maybe it's time for the iPod Peripherals? This certainly seems possible. Many people waiting for the new iTrip know that at least one of the reasons for the wait is a forthcoming iPod Software Update. This would be a good time!

Also, it could even be the Bluetooth-base Wireless Mouse and Keyboard, though this could be doubtful if 10.2.6 does not currently have support for it. Of course, if 10.2.7 is released the same day then that would be possible.

My personal hope would be an announcement as to exactly what is going on with the dual-processor G5 delays! :D

P.S. When I was trying to get in contact with the ADC Hardware Purchase Program I was informed (via answering machine) that everyone there was in a day-long meeting. Maybe this is part of it? :rolleyes:

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Hmm...

Wrong about what?

Does this mean that Motorola is ready with the 7457s, or that Apple will go ahead and release a 7455 rev3.4 machine rather than hope Motorola will be ready in October.

Puppies

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2003
*SIGH*

Oh well, at least I have something to YET AGAIN pretend to look forward to. Technically every week that goes by, it gets more and more likely we'll see an update.

Unfortunatly now I'm less sure about buying a PowerBook than I was two months ago. Because of what I use it for, I'm actually thinking an x86 notebook would by the more logical choice :( But I've basically decided to at least wait for Apple to update before I make up my mind.

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
I hope it's the keyboard and mouse, although I doubt it, as the last 10.2.7 build still had bugs in it.

Maybe it will be updated Safari and iSync, as development on those has slowed to a halt.

AppleMatt

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
i swear i will kill someone at apple if it is just a software update. :mad:

hopefully it will be and iPod AM/FM radio with microphone.

trog

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2003
Re: AGHHGAH!

Originally posted by freaky57
I just want the DAMN Dual G5!!

I hear ya. As far as I'm concerned now, Apple should shut up, close shop and just finish what they already started.
Take the iPod group, and the software group, give them some tools and get them on that G5 production line!
Gimme my order already, its going on three months. If I hear one more time from some Apple exec about how "The G5s are shipping..." I'm going to kick someone in the nuts.:p

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
Originally posted by AppleMatt
No don't do that.
It's illegal.

AppleMatt

lol. the next time i will update my computer's software is when panther comes out. i won't upgrade. it will already be built for panther anyway.

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
Meanwhile Apple Turns reports a "recklesly unconfirmed" rumor that iPods may hit 40GB on Monday.

argh! there is no 40GB iPod! there wont be a 40GB iPod unless the sky is always purple.

i dont want a 40GB iPod. that is the same size as my computer''s hard drive.
some people still have 20GB. do you want more space on you iPod than you laptop or even desktop? i think maybe, but 40GB now is too soon.

Waluigi

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2003
Connecticut
Originally posted by bennetsaysargh
argh! there is no 40GB iPod! there wont be a 40GB iPod unless the sky is always purple.

i dont want a 40GB iPod. that is the same size as my computer''s hard drive.
some people still have 20GB. do you want more space on you iPod than you laptop or even desktop? i think maybe, but 40GB now is too soon.

So what! Apple has to stay competitive in the MP3 player market. The other guys have 60GB hard drives for a lot less money (yes they are inferior in quality though). This would be great if apple upgraded their capacity across the board. Progress is a good thing.

--Waluigi

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
This one seemingly just in from Apple Insider news blurb posted a few hours ago.

7:02PM EST
Apple may announce and start taking orders for a revamped line of PowerBook G4s as early as next week, one source tells AppleInsider. The tip comes amongst recent recent rumors that have pin-pointed Motorola for failing to deliver sufficient quantities of the PowerPC 7457 to support a successful product launch.
According to the source, Apple management feels that supplies of the faster chips are now ample and the new units could full-fill backorders and be shipping in quantity by mid to late September. Included in the new breed of PowerBooks is said to be a 1.25 GHz aluminum 15" model that sports a back-lit keyboard, ports on the side (as opposed to the rear), and an updated track pad and mouse button.

Sources could not confirm a date or time for the official announcement, but did mention September 9th or 10th as likely candidates. It should be noted that the deployment schedule for the aforementioned units has slipped several times over the past month, while channel inventory of several configurations has remained depleted. Meanwhile, the initial packaging and marketing material for the new portables was said to have been completed over a month ago.

spudnik187

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2002
Austin, TX
It is a 40 GB iPod. I can guarantee it will happen. I heard it from a very reliable source within Apple. I'm not saying that there won't be a PB announcement or other new announcements. They could happen as well, but I know for sure there will be 40 GB iPods. Sweet!

Puppies

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2003
LOL! Yeah, screw the Radeon 9600 or Geforce 5650, I want an updated track pad!

Err, actually I won't even use the trackpad :D

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
i wish apple would put a itty bitty bluetooth chip on the ipod, wow i can only imagine how cool that would be.

iJon

bobindashadows

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2002
Originally posted by iJon
i wish apple would put a itty bitty bluetooth chip on the ipod, wow i can only imagine how cool that would be.

iJon
AHHHHH!!!
What would you use the bluetooth for?!?! Bluetooth is very, very slow. Slower than USB 1.1. Why on earth would you want it? I guess maybe for syncing notes and contacts, I'll give you that much.

[edit] A while ago, way back before iPod 3G, there was leaked data about a 40GB drive from Toshiba, I believe, who made all the drives before that. [/edit]

PowerBook User

macrumors regular
May 29, 2003
Originally posted by DHagan4755
This one seemingly just in from Apple Insider news blurb posted a few hours ago.
How would they change the trackpad and clicker? It seems fine to me. I hope they FINALLY announce the new 15" PowerBooks (even though they probably won't ship for a couple months).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.