Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NicoMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2002
Malmö, Sweden
Re: AtAT is NOT a rumor site

Originally posted by Photorun
Jack at AppleTurns reads other rumor sites and writes (great) humor based on it. Hence it's moronic at best that macrumors posts "rumor site Apple Turns..." Then again, macrumors actually doesn't itself uncover any new dirt but rehash someone elses (usually highly inaccurate) reports so I guess in some twisted Bizarro logic even Zippy would rebuke, one could loosly call AppleTurns a rumor site.

But you'd still be wrong.
I think the reference to AppleTurns on that MR item was just harmless humour. I could be wrong though.
But anyway, my experience with MR (which only goes back a year or so) is that their OWN rumours are quite accurate. I guess that when MR doesn't have any of those OWN rumours, they just compile other sites' items. But would you rather they stayed silent??? Outlandish rumours are always entertaining, IMHO...

Nutzoids

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2003
Philly
Re: A two-button trackpad compromise

Originally posted by bikertwin
They could even make it a rocker button so that it still appears to be a single button, but a click on the left is different from a click on the right. Apple's good at that sort of trickery.:cool:

I like the way you think... Go Rocker Dual Button Mouse!

MacIke

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2003
The Frigid Wasteland of MN
Originally posted by Puppies

Unfortunatly now I'm less sure about buying a PowerBook than I was two months ago. Because of what I use it for, I'm actually thinking an x86 notebook would by the more logical choice :( But I've basically decided to at least wait for Apple to update before I make up my mind.

I have though the same thing. I am really hoping for something great in France.

MacIke

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2003
Originally posted by applemacdude
Nothing. All the stuff is comin' out in the Paris Expo

Do we really think that Apple will release something a mere six or seven days before a Steve keynote?

The only that may happen on Monday is a price drop to clear out the rest of anything that is left.

Where I have to admit if 17" would come down to $$$ to a 15" I would buy on the spot.... new updates be darned.

MacIke

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2003
Originally posted by esheep2001

I will have won the lottery and the alien invasion will have truly begun in earnest.

e.

Okay... can I borrow $10 to pay off the aliens. I mean really, i am not ready for the invasion I have nothing to wear. I must go out and by some new clothes.

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
Only a matter of time before this rumor is proven false. I still think there will be G5 Powerbooks at Paris. I will not order a Powerbook G4 until they are shippig, cause with Moto, another delay is likely. I don't want to finallly get it at Thanksgiving and then at MWSF a G5 PB comes with the 90nm G5's. And Apple will do that.

ozlow

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2003
pacific NW
Maybe that's true. But the US is special.

Originally posted by F/reW/re
A woman in a Apple resellerstore in Europe said to a guy I know that he should wait to get his PowerBook because it's a new comming pretty soon! Around 16th is the date she gave.
If it's thrue i dont know, but why would she tell if it was not thrue?

The U.S. will get them on Monday. SJ said he will bring some with him as carry-ons when he does Mac Expo Paris. He told me he's only bringing 10 and there's going to be a chaincage wrestling match to see who gets them. Should be fun to watch. They're going to show it live feed via quicktime. Can't wait.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by AHDuke99
Only a matter of time before this rumor is proven false. I still think there will be G5 Powerbooks at Paris. I will not order a Powerbook G4 until they are shippig, cause with Moto, another delay is likely. I don't want to finallly get it at Thanksgiving and then at MWSF a G5 PB comes with the 90nm G5's. And Apple will do that.
lol, dont get to excited, go look at the heat sinks in the g5's, i doubt they have found a solution for those in the powerbooks yet. rumors and tech notes have already shown that these processors are too hot, and not battery and power effiecient for the powerbooks yet. but you keep waiting, hopefully it will come soon (a year)

iJon

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: AtAT is NOT a rumor site

Originally posted by Photorun
Jack at AppleTurns reads other rumor sites and writes (great) humor based on it. Hence it's moronic at best that macrumors posts "rumor site Apple Turns..." ....

But you'd still be wrong.

For an Apple Turns fan, you're taking things surprisingly seriously. ;)

arn
Mac "We ARE a rumor site" Rumors

yujini

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2003
LA, CA, USA
Originally posted by iJon
lol, dont get to excited, go look at the heat sinks in the g5's, i doubt they have found a solution for those in the powerbooks yet. rumors and tech notes have already shown that these processors are too hot, and not battery and power effiecient for the powerbooks yet. but you keep waiting, hopefully it will come soon (a year)

iJon

Heh again another person talking about heat/power problems with the G5.
If you've read other threads and the IBM site itself that describes the tech specs about G5, one would have realized by now that heat/power is NOT the issue to put a G5 in the powerbook.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by yujini
If you've read other threads and the IBM site itself that describes the tech specs about G5, one would have realized by now that heat/power is NOT the issue to put a G5 in the powerbook.
well, i guess we can resume this next week when we will no for sure (that is if the rumors are true about powerbooks coming outsoon). but like you, i dont know anything about whats gonna happen. i just highly doubt g5 powerbooks will be ready, but we will see.

iJon

bobindashadows

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2002
Sorry to hijack the thread momentarily, but I've been seeing this "^H^H^H^H" a lot, what the hell is it? I used to consider myself W3l1 \/31253|) 1|\| |)4 1337 5|>34|<... but maybe I don't.

Is bluetooth fast enough to stream music? Yeah, the songs only generally go up to 320Kbps. What's the bluetooth transfer rate, and how much overhead is there? And how much would a bluetooth enabled deck cost for your car?

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by bobindashadows
Sorry to hijack the thread momentarily, but I've been seeing this "^H^H^H^H" a lot, what the hell is it? I used to consider myself W3l1 \/31253|) 1|\| |)4 1337 5|>34|<... but maybe I don't.

^H = backspace.

arn

PHGN

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2003
London
The Answer

In Paris Jobs will, of course, be announcing the new iPod. It is expected to be avalible in 4 or 6 processor configurations. Featuring a new phyc-aural wireless technology, it will beam sounds sights smells and other sensory information directly to the users mind. It is also expected to have a revolutionry case design: early reports say it is "big" and "boxy" and made from "beige plastic".

Delivery is expected to begin in "Late January*"

(*2062 -- about when Motorola have made enough G4s to relase the new Powerbook range).

MacIke

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2003
Re: The Answer

Originally posted by PHGN
In Paris Jobs will, ... be announcing the new iPod.... Featuring a new phyc-aural wireless technology, it will beam sounds sights smells and other sensory information directly to the users mind....
Delivery is expected to begin in "Late January*"

I am personally waiting till the ipod can read my thoughts and play the song I want at that moment.

That should be in the June annoucment.

PHGN

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2003
London
Re: A two-button trackpad compromise

Originally posted by bikertwin
The whole two-button mouse/trackpad thing really freaks Steve out. But control-clicking is incredibly annoying, especially considering just about all apps use the right mouse button nowadays.
How about a compromise, Stevie?
They could even make it a rocker button so that it still appears to be a single button, but a click on the left is different from a click on the right. Apple's good at that sort of trickery.:cool:

Mmmm.....

I was thinking along the same lines -- with the current Pro mouseis sould be easy-- two micro switches and a different hinge design.

Otherwise you wind up having to buy an aftermarked mouse or trackball.
Microsoft make some nice ones. :)

NicoMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2002
Malmö, Sweden
Originally posted by yujini
Talking just about the processor is pointless. The G5 comes with a new chipset, a new type of RAM, a faster memory bus, etc... Do you have more information than we do, to be so adamant about power/heat issues of the G5 in the PB? Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a PBG5, but let's remember that we are just speculating here.

L8rz!!

chazmox

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2003
Originally posted by MacIke
Do we really think that Apple will release something a mere six or seven days before a Steve keynote?

The only that may happen on Monday is a price drop to clear out the rest of anything that is left.

Where I have to admit if 17" would come down to $$$ to a 15" I would buy on the spot.... new updates be darned.

If Apple has been ready to pull the trigger for several weeks now on a new PB and is just waiting for yields of the 7457 to build to an acceptable level, then I would bet that Apple would not wait until Paris.

Powerbooks are a very respectable part of Apple's revenue and that revenue may have a shortfall this quarter if the low stocks at resellers and distributors are of any guide. Therefore, if they wait for Paris they only get 2 weeks of sales in this quarter and if they release this Monday they get three weeks. One extra week may not be much, but it IS 50% more than if they released in Paris and may be enough of a motivation to release as early as possible!

If Jobs has Panther, ITMS Europe and new iMacs to talk about then this may be enough for Paris.

BTW, I think NicoMan has it right. I see many time where people make a chain of speculation and then claim that they have proved something. There are alot of possibilities to have a G5 PB happen now - there are alot more that have it happen later. Just because we can speculate on a chain of events doesn't mean it's true or even likely...

yujini

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2003
LA, CA, USA
Well I was talking about the processor's power/heat issue.
excluding all the other factors.
I never said the next pb will have the G5. Though I hope it does, I'm sure the possibility is very low.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Apple, please do NOT boost the resolution. Cramming tinier pixels in is a good thing for a very small number of users. But for most people--even those who like the "sound" of 1600x1200--tiny pixels just means eyestrain if you use your laptop for hours at a time.

Higher res would be fine as an option, if Apple can afford to make that many different screens. But ONLY as an option--higher res should not be standard.

People sitting at my 1024x768 14" G3 all say the UI and text is too small. All current PowerBooks have even smaller pixels than that already. That's OK, it fits more windows--but don't take things to an extreme!

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
i cant stand anything but 1024x768 on my imac. it's a crt one, so its the max. i find it odd how the 12" ibook and the 14 inch ibook both have a max resolution of 1024x768

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Originally posted by nagromme
Cramming tinier pixels in is a good thing for a very small number of users.

And a good thing for those who can adjust the system font size so that they get the same size text - just sharper and crisper!

And, more important, the higher resolution screen is much better for those photos from your 4 or 5 megapixel digital camera.

-as

ps: Very happy owner of Dell D600 with 14" 1400x1050 screen....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.