Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Oct 28, 2007, 11:28 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

iPhone in Canada on December 7th?

BoyGeniusReport posts an image which supposedly represents a leaked flyer promoting the iPhone for launch on December 7th in Canada.

The ad is for Rogers network, and claims that pre-orders start on November 20th.

Article Link
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2007, 11:40 PM   #2
ventro
macrumors 6502a

This has already been confirmed fake by multiple Rogers reps and the like. Way behind the ball, MRiPB.
ventro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2007, 12:25 AM   #3
11thIndian
macrumors regular

This is getting ridiculous. Two iPhone Canada fakeouts in as many weeks.

Personally, with me having my old phone die and therefore having to pick up a new one, I'm happy to live without the iPhone for a bit so justify the money I just spent- but truthfully whenever it does get released I'll be all over it.

It's just maddening...
11thIndian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2007, 12:39 AM   #4
graymccarty
macrumors member

So fake it's not even funny..

When I read the title of the article I almost had a seizure.

Patiently awaiting the REAL announcement.....
Old Oct 29, 2007, 01:30 AM   #5
KD7IWP
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to KD7IWP
still no lowered data rates...
Old Oct 29, 2007, 02:57 AM   #6
Darkroom

if apple/rogers sells the iphone for more than $399 in canada (or without an acceptable contract/plan), there are gonna be a whole lot of unlocked iPhones pop up in december...
Darkroom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2007, 05:29 AM   #7
BillyShears
macrumors 6502

Rogers reps have been wrong before

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventro View Post
This has already been confirmed fake by multiple Rogers reps and the like. Way behind the ball, MRiPB.
When the iPhone was announced, weren't Rogers reps saying it would be available in Canada at different times? Not sure I'd consider them reliable. But that doesn't really prove this is legit.
BillyShears is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2007, 07:14 AM   #8
wiseguy
macrumors member

Forget it, very bad design...

First the logo is wrong, the Rogers circle is on top without the name, also, this layout is so badly done graphically, we should see a full picture of the iPhone, and nothing is justified, meaning the text doesn't balance, left and right ending are not aligned with anything, I wouldn't hired the person who did this fake, very very bad design.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 07:32 AM   #9
Orng
macrumors 6502

Doesn't look like a Rogers ad. Rogers likes to have professionals do their ads, this one looks like student work. First-year student work. It's off-brand and off-message. Too cluttered. Too ugly. The logo is separated from the Rogers name. The student probably got a "B-" for this.

Put it this way, Rogers, as much as I may dislike them, sends me a brochure for home phone service every six weeks or so, that makes me WANT a bright red 70s-style tabletop phone. This ad makes me want to look at something else.

Rogers wouldn't drop the ball like that.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 08:35 AM   #10
Drumjim85
macrumors 68020

it also says pre order... Which jobs hasn't/won't do with the iPhone.
Drumjim85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2007, 09:33 AM   #11
Tsuius
macrumors member

***fake***

***FAKE***

There is no point to advertise the iPhone without data pricing.
Also I don't recall seeing Steve Jobs in Toronto or at Rogers headquarters announcing the iPhone.
Tsuius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2007, 09:39 AM   #12
jesteraver
macrumors 6502

Send a message via ICQ to jesteraver Send a message via AIM to jesteraver Send a message via Yahoo to jesteraver Send a message via Skype™ to jesteraver
If only the iPhone had HSDPA it could get 1GB of data for $65/month. You could use 33 MB a day of data. I know it is still expensive. Though it is better then the data plans Rogers has for EDGE.
jesteraver is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2007, 09:43 AM   #13
themanfromvlad
macrumors 6502

Everyone reading this: The iPhone will not be coming to Canada for a long time. The Canadian cellphone market is just not mature enough right now, and is a virtual oligopoly.

The earliest we will see a carrier with an iPhone deal is before christmas 2008. And that only if there is a significant sea of change in the industry.

There's only one GSM provider in Canada (Rogers owns Fido) and Apple cannot recreate the bidding war it has in other countries.

If Apple were to release a CDMA iPhone (Anyone who thinks a CDMA version doesn't exist in a lab in Cupertino is clueless) for the Japan market, that might help start a bidding war between Rogers and Bell for Canadian rights.

If that doesn't happen, and Rogers is the only game in town, I think it would be more likely that Apple releases an unlocked iPhone for Canada at a higher price point.
themanfromvlad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2007, 10:08 AM   #14
Tsuius
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themanfromvlad View Post
Everyone reading this: The iPhone will not be coming to Canada for a long time. The Canadian cellphone market is just not mature enough right now, and is a virtual oligopoly.

The earliest we will see a carrier with an iPhone deal is before christmas 2008. And that only if there is a significant sea of change in the industry.

There's only one GSM provider in Canada (Rogers owns Fido) and Apple cannot recreate the bidding war it has in other countries.

If Apple were to release a CDMA iPhone (Anyone who thinks a CDMA version doesn't exist in a lab in Cupertino is clueless) for the Japan market, that might help start a bidding war between Rogers and Bell for Canadian rights.

If that doesn't happen, and Rogers is the only game in town, I think it would be more likely that Apple releases an unlocked iPhone for Canada at a higher price point.

I agree. CRTC has created a no competition zone in Canada for Rogers. If Fido was not owned by Rogers the iPhone would have been here in June.
Tsuius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2007, 10:30 AM   #15
jesteraver
macrumors 6502

Send a message via ICQ to jesteraver Send a message via AIM to jesteraver Send a message via Yahoo to jesteraver Send a message via Skype™ to jesteraver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuius View Post
I agree. CRTC has created a no competition zone in Canada for Rogers. If Fido was not owned by Rogers the iPhone would have been here in June.
I know what you mean. The CRTC is just BS crap, just helps the corporations. Quebecor (Videotron) wants to have them open the Frequencies for mobile phones, but Rogers is pissed about that.

Honestly **** the government body, the CRTC can not regulate ****.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 10:47 AM   #16
slicecom
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy View Post
First the logo is wrong, the Rogers circle is on top without the name, also, this layout is so badly done graphically, we should see a full picture of the iPhone, and nothing is justified, meaning the text doesn't balance, left and right ending are not aligned with anything, I wouldn't hired the person who did this fake, very very bad design.
Agreed. If I had handed this in in the first semester of my program, I would have failed. Whoever made it did a horrible job.
slicecom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2007, 03:12 PM   #17
Darkroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by themanfromvlad View Post
Telus Mobility!!!!!! afterall, Telus is the most similar to Apple in regards to their marketing aesthetic... even their stores are galleryesque like Apple stores. down with Bell and Rogers!
Darkroom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2007, 03:14 PM   #18
Eric Lewis
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkroom View Post
Telus Mobility!!!!!! afterall, Telus is the most similar to Apple in regards to their marketing aesthetic... even their stores are galleryesque like Apple stores. down with Bell and Rogers!
if there was a CDMA then telus would win

there stores are apple with purple/green/white instead of white/silver
Eric Lewis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2007, 04:25 PM   #19
chuckles:)
macrumors 6502

I agree, the CRTC has ruined many canadian industries through regulation (Cellular, radio, telivision, WiMAX to name a few). The problem here isn't rogers, its the government supporting and ENFORCING monopolies.
chuckles:) is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2007, 05:21 PM   #20
monke
macrumors 65816

$499? What, is that before the 2 month price drop?

That's a joke. $499, yet our dollar is worth more.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 07:34 PM   #21
RafMac
macrumors regular

2 things....

First, The ad is a fake, as I design loyalty program coalition email ads for Rogers, as per Rogers specifications, you're not allowed to split their logo (rogers circle top right and rogers wordmark at bottom right), secondly this is not a Rogers style ad and typography and font sizes would not be approved by legal dept. Even, if someone tipped about Rogers iPhone release date, the ad would not look like this. Whoever designed this amateurish ad was probably tipped and wanted to jump the gun first.

Second, CRTC which stands for "Communism Radio and Telecommunications Commission", they simply tell what Canadians can watch and hear, and what we should have and pay for. This is BS democracy, in democracy you should be able to watch what you want. Instead we get communist monopoly!
RafMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2007, 08:00 PM   #22
HowEver
macrumors 6502a

As Elaine said to Jerry, "Fake, fake, fake, fake. Fake!"

And annoying.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 08:45 PM   #23
im_noahselby
macrumors member

http://www.canada.com/topics/technol...85d1d0&k=46211

Rogers has already confirmed that this ad was fake. End of story...
im_noahselby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2007, 09:10 PM   #24
jesteraver
macrumors 6502

There is another ad online now
Old Oct 29, 2007, 09:12 PM   #25
jesteraver
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by RafMac View Post
First, The ad is a fake, as I design loyalty program coalition email ads for Rogers, as per Rogers specifications, you're not allowed to split their logo (rogers circle top right and rogers wordmark at bottom right), secondly this is not a Rogers style ad and typography and font sizes would not be approved by legal dept. Even, if someone tipped about Rogers iPhone release date, the ad would not look like this. Whoever designed this amateurish ad was probably tipped and wanted to jump the gun first.

Second, CRTC which stands for "Communism Radio and Telecommunications Commission", they simply tell what Canadians can watch and hear, and what we should have and pay for. This is BS democracy, in democracy you should be able to watch what you want. Instead we get communist monopoly!
**** I would rather have Directv in Canada then Bell Expressvu. Hopefully will change soon muhahahah god bless technology.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion