Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Oct 29, 2007, 03:06 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

One Click Jailbreaks for iPhone and iPod Touch

Over the weekend, a couple of one-click web-based Jailbreak solutions were published for both the iPhone and iPod Touch.

One that received a lot of attention, and provides some answers to common questions is published at http://www.jailbreakme.com/. Before you visit the site with your iPhone or iPod Touch, read on.

The features list is as follows:
Quote:
1. Jailbreaks iPhone/iPod Touch on 1.1.1
2. Patches Springboard to load third party apps
3. Activates non-AT&T iPhones automatically, while leaving already activated phones alone
4. Fixes YouTube on non-AT&T iPhones automatically, while leaving already activated phones alone
5. Installs Installer.app v3.0b5 on the iPhone/iPod Touch
6. Fixes Apple's TIFF bug, making your device MORE secure than it was without AppSnapp!
The site uses the known TIFF exploit which allows individuals to execute arbitrary code on the iPhone or iPod Touch by simply loading a TIFF image with Safari. Normally this is considered a "bad thing" in that virues, or other comprimising code can be deployed to unsuspecting users.

In this case, the exploit offers users a simple way to jailbreak and install 3rd party apps. It even claims to fix the TIFF exploit it used to hack your iPhone/iPod.

Obviously we need to be cautious about these exploits as it's possible that someone with more sinister motives could deploy a similar site to unsuspecting users. This particular url appears to have been tested by a number of sites, but proceed with caution.

Article Link

Last edited by longofest; Oct 29, 2007 at 03:44 PM. Reason: background link
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2007, 03:41 PM   #2
iSee
macrumors 68040

Nice.

Apple, though, has me scared. I'm afraid to crack my iPhone at all for fear of it getting bricked at some point in the future.

Geeze, all I want is a custom ringtone and maybe a few games...
iSee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2007, 03:45 PM   #3
TitoC
macrumors 6502

Well, after taking all of my 3rd party apps off and doing a complete "Restore" to my iPhone since my native as well as 3rd party apps were starting to act "Buggy" under 1.1.1, I got to say, this new and improved version is really nice. Not only because of the ultra-simple install process, but also because everything seems to be quite stable now. Very nice. And VERY quick I might add.

Been using it now all day and everything seems to be working just like it did in version "1.02 days."

One word of advice though: If you plan on installing via this method, I highly recommend doing a "Restore" beforehand if you already have AppInstaller and 3rd party apps on you phone since older preference files and such need to be updated. I have heard of users who did NOT do a "Restore" beforehand (users who had already had 3rd party Apps on 1.02 as well as 1.1.1 phones) and were having problems with many Apps not running correctly or not at all.

Apparently, the new method of installing does not update some older files necessary for some apps to run smoothly. Just my advice.
TitoC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2007, 03:54 PM   #4
AppleSJ511606
macrumors member

I tried this on my iPhone and any application launches for 2 seconds then suddenly quite & goes home.

Any fix????
AppleSJ511606 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2007, 03:57 PM   #5
Angelo921
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitoC View Post
Well, after taking all of my 3rd party apps off and doing a complete "Restore" to my iPhone since my native as well as 3rd party apps were starting to act "Buggy" under 1.1.1, I got to say, this new and improved version is really nice. Not only because of the ultra-simple install process, but also because everything seems to be quite stable now. Very nice. And VERY quick I might add.

Been using it now all day and everything seems to be working just like it did in version "1.02 days."

One word of advice though: If you plan on installing via this method, I highly recommend doing a "Restore" beforehand if you already have AppInstaller and 3rd party apps on you phone since older preference files and such need to be updated. I have heard of users who did NOT do a "Restore" beforehand (users who had already had 3rd party Apps on 1.02 as well as 1.1.1 phones) and were having problems with many Apps not running correctly or not at all.

Apparently, the new method of installing does not update some older files necessary for some apps to run smoothly. Just my advice.

restore back to 1.0.2 or 1.11 before running http://www.jailbreakme.com? I currently have 3rd party apps on my 1.1.1 but the phone is acting funny and some of the apps dont work well as well as the phone shuts down sometimes. I want to go the http://www.jailbreakme.com route.
Angelo921 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2007, 04:03 PM   #6
AppleSJ511606
macrumors member

I fortunately DID restore 1.0.2, then upgraded to 1.1.1, then used Apptapp (jailbreakme.com) and my applications STILL seem buggy
AppleSJ511606 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2007, 04:14 PM   #7
TitoC
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo921 View Post
restore back to 1.0.2 or 1.11 before running http://www.jailbreakme.com? I currently have 3rd party apps on my 1.1.1 but the phone is acting funny and some of the apps dont work well as well as the phone shuts down sometimes. I want to go the http://www.jailbreakme.com route.
You're in exactly the same boat I was. I was running 1.1.1 with 3rd party apps and things were acting quite buggy.

Do a "Restore" which will restore your iPhone to the latest 1.1.1 firmware as well as get rid of any 3rd party apps, preferences, etc. Don't go back to 1.02 since I believe this new installer method runs best under 1.1.1.

After restoring, sync your iPhone to itunes to get all your photos, music and such back on.

Visit the http://www.jailbreakme.com route.[/QUOTE] site and follow the instructions.

After installing via this method, I immediately (via the "Installer App on my iPhone) installed BSD subsystem, Community Sources, Open SSH as well as Services (which lets you turn off or on your SSH).

P.S. Follow the instructions on the site. After installing via the site, Safari disappears and you return to the main Home screen, you're good. Just wait a minute more for your unit to restart--don't touch anything until you see the slide to unlock screen.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 04:29 PM   #8
yetanotherdave
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to yetanotherdave Send a message via MSN to yetanotherdave Send a message via Yahoo to yetanotherdave
I would like to use this, purely to get their tiff patch. Unfortunately it would probably mean undoing all the application downloading and stuff I've done to it previously. Any new on whether how else to apply this patch?
Old Oct 29, 2007, 04:37 PM   #9
badtzmaru
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAtheist View Post
I would like to use this, purely to get their tiff patch. Unfortunately it would probably mean undoing all the application downloading and stuff I've done to it previously. Any new on whether how else to apply this patch?
If you have installer on your iphone, there is an app under "Tweaks 1.1.1" that will fix the Tiff exploit. of course this means you have to have 1.1.1 running. i dont think theres a fix for 1.02
badtzmaru is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2007, 04:37 PM   #10
TitoC
macrumors 6502

One side note: Playing a song then going to any App will more than likely make your system "Buggy" (i.e. your App quitting, returning you to your home screen, making a game start over, etc.). This is because of memory allocations I believe. If you want to run an App, it looks like you must "pause" your song, then launch your App.

So far, this is the only thing I have encountered as far as things running stable or not with the current 3rd party Apps.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 05:14 PM   #11
megfilmworks
macrumors 68020

This exploit will not remain open. It is a wide open door to malware. These hackers that figure these things out are super smart (I'm sure Apple enjoys the free service they provide),
but I would not invest the time to use this exploit on my iPhone as it will have a very short shelf life.
DA42 - BE G58
megfilmworks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2007, 05:18 PM   #12
meagain
macrumors 68020

Can anyone advise? I'm a bit confused as to what exactly I should do in my situation with the following 2 phones:

My Phone: AT&T is NOT on this phone but youtube, etc. works due to using my husband's SIM to cheat it to work. It is hacked (installer) and has 1.0.2.

My husband's phone: unhacked 1.0.2 with AT&T.

I'm unclear what I should do with these 2 different iPhone situations. I want to end up with both running 1.1.1 and hacked. (hopefully the voice recorder and iTunes emailer thing is still available). I just don't want to muck this up. Appreciate it.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 05:45 PM   #13
jecapaga
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by megfilmworks View Post
This exploit will not remain open. It is a wide open door to malware. These hackers that figure these things out are super smart (I'm sure Apple enjoys the free service they provide),
but I would not invest the time to use this exploit on my iPhone as it will have a very short shelf life.
Agreed.. very short shelf life. software update tomorrow.
jecapaga is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2007, 05:49 PM   #14
Demon
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to Demon
This is not likely to last. There's no way Apple will allow such a simple security break to go uncorrected. Nevertheless, I wish I will wait till Apple properly unlocks the iPod... come on Apple, let me put software on my iPod PDA already!
Old Oct 29, 2007, 06:00 PM   #15
TitoC
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jecapaga View Post
Agreed.. very short shelf life. software update tomorrow.
This is nothing new. This exploit has been around since the beginning but most recently noticed in 1.1.1. Even if Apple were to release an update, all someone would have to do is to revert back to 1.02 or earlier to still have this exploit still around. It is embedded in all firmware versions.

Even after the heightened publicity during the early "TIFF-exploit" hacks of 1.1.1, Apple still did not release a fix. If they haven't done so already (1.1.1 has been around for more than a few days . . . ), I doubt they're going to now.

One reason someone might want to consider to use this AppTap installer is that it actually FIXES this TIFF exploit. Something Apple has not opted to do so far.

Now how's that for hacking! Use the TIFF exploit to install, then FIX the exploit. Pretty ironic.

Last edited by TitoC; Oct 29, 2007 at 06:04 PM. Reason: typos
Old Oct 29, 2007, 08:05 PM   #16
jarrodtb
macrumors member

anybody else try clicking the install link and it shuts down safari after just a couple seconds without finishing the install?

JB
jarrodtb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2007, 08:09 PM   #17
megfilmworks
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitoC View Post
... how's that for hacking! Use the TIFF exploit to install, then FIX the exploit. Pretty ironic.
Ironic and smart.
DA42 - BE G58
megfilmworks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2007, 08:19 PM   #18
EthanNixon
macrumors 6502a

I always wanted to have the native apps on my phone, so I tried this out for once. This isn't the first time I have done something like this either, I was big into it with the PSP. However, there really is no use for it with the iPhone... The applications are not nearly complete enough to be called an app from what I can see. So I just restored my iPhone. Now I know I can wait untill apple sends those applications out!
EthanNixon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2007, 08:40 PM   #19
chrissurra
macrumors member

I used the original method to jailbreak 1.1.1 and it was very buggy. I restored back to factory settings and didnt load my backup on the phone. I waited for itunes to activate the phone, then when I did the jailbreakme route it was MUCH more stable.

It hasnt crashed once and all my apps run like 1.0.2 Im VERY happy with this method.
chrissurra is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2007, 09:18 PM   #20
mustang_dvs
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrodtb View Post
anybody else try clicking the install link and it shuts down safari after just a couple seconds without finishing the install?
Having the exact same problem -- I wonder if it's the result of the site getting hammered.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 09:56 PM   #21
mustang_dvs
macrumors 6502a

Still no luck... but now, it seems, that my iToner 1.0.4-installed ringtones are gone... (poof)...
Old Oct 29, 2007, 11:16 PM   #22
strongesthylian
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by meagain View Post
Can anyone advise? I'm a bit confused as to what exactly I should do in my situation with the following 2 phones:

My Phone: AT&T is NOT on this phone but youtube, etc. works due to using my husband's SIM to cheat it to work. It is hacked (installer) and has 1.0.2.

My husband's phone: unhacked 1.0.2 with AT&T.

I'm unclear what I should do with these 2 different iPhone situations. I want to end up with both running 1.1.1 and hacked. (hopefully the voice recorder and iTunes emailer thing is still available). I just don't want to muck this up. Appreciate it.
Best thing would be to restore (not update) both iPhones to firmware 1.1.1, then use http://jailbreakme.com.

Since one of the phones won't be activated once updated to 1.1.1, there's a trick to access Safari so that you can access jailbreakme.com. Here's a link for that trick:
http://www.jailbreakme.com/safari.html

EDIT: I found a video of the whole jailbreakme process.
http://www.hacktheiphone.com/111/iph...rmation_1.html

Last edited by strongesthylian; Oct 29, 2007 at 11:20 PM. Reason: More information without doubleposting
strongesthylian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2007, 12:15 AM   #23
djkirsten
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang_dvs View Post
Having the exact same problem -- I wonder if it's the result of the site getting hammered.
thats what its supposed to do. When you go to the link it will "crash" your safari, DONT TOUCH IT, and it should go to sleep. When you wake it up you'll have the installer app. Read the TUAW page and it explains everything. This is so far the easiest way EVER to jailbreak the phone. I love not having to use a computer, terminal commands, ssh, iphuc, blah blah blah....

This is amazing!
djkirsten is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2007, 12:36 AM   #24
Angelo921
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrodtb View Post

JB
When i click on install nothing happens. Ive let my iphone sit for 10 minutes and none of the buttons work until I have to reboot. Anyone else have this problem?
Angelo921 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2007, 07:28 AM   #25
spazzcat
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang_dvs View Post
I am this issue too with safari closing, has anyone figured out why or how to get around it?
spazzcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion