Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/20854

This came up in my RSS feed from versiontracker. Any thoughts?

It's a kernel extension that replaces the current drivers in the iBook and PowerBook G4. It enables vertical scrolling, horizontal scrolling, mapping the hardware button to left- and right-click (!!!) and mapping the trackpad to left- and right-click.

It's a beta, however. Any thoughts on this product?

Edit: from the same folks that brought you MenuMeters! :D

asphalt-proof

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2003
Magrathea
Wow,
As a PC user this renders my last excuse for not buying an ibook or powerbook obsolete. I hate the one button mouse and dreaded the thought of using it. But I'm now ready to go out an buy the new 15" (when it comes out).

amin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2003
Boston, MA
Wow, this is fantastic. Just being able to vertical scroll with right side of my pad makes this worthwhile. I hope they don't add any new features to complicate things. I will buy this when it expires (unless it's really expensive).

The only issue I'm having is that when I swipe too close to the right edge, it thinks I want to do a vertical scroll and gets stuck. Guess I'll have to avoid the right edge of the pad unless I'm trying to scroll.

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
I thought you all would like this. I mainly posted here because I wanted to hear a bit about it before I install, since it can cause kernel panics. Glad you all enjoyed it! :D

dcbendi

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2003
Los Angeles
two button mice

Why are people so hung up on the one button mouse thing? I have a two button mouse with scroll wheel (dial?) on the mac, works great.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
This is very useful. Whenever I don't have my mouse with me, I always miss the lack of a scroll wheel. Now I don't have to worry about it :)

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
Re: two button mice

Originally posted by dcbendi
Why are people so hung up on the one button mouse thing? I have a two button mouse with scroll wheel (dial?) on the mac, works great.

I'm not worried about not having a two-button mouse since I bought one for $10 and got another for free after rebates.

I'm more frustrated about having a single-button trackpad, which is harder to replace than a mouse.

dstorey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2002
Although I'd like a two button mouse with scroll to come with a Mac (yeah you can buy seperate bt why buy seperate when already paid for a mouse when buy comp and other mice dont have Apples design and look ulgy to me) but on a laptop whats the difference between control click and right click when your hands are already right next to the keyboard, except for being more obvious for novice users?

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
Originally posted by dstorey
Although I'd like a two button mouse with scroll to come with a Mac (yeah you can buy seperate bt why buy seperate when already paid for a mouse when buy comp and other mice dont have Apples design and look ulgy to me) but on a laptop whats the difference between control click and right click when your hands are already right next to the keyboard, except for being more obvious for novice users?

i could care less about the right click function. i find it gets in the way on trackpads anyways. what makes this program great, imho, is getting the SCROLL function we should have in the FIRST place. i really don't see why apple doesn't at least give the option.

sjk

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Eugene
Re: two button mice

Originally posted by Daveman Deluxe
I'm more frustrated about having a single-button trackpad, which is harder to replace than a mouse.
I was surprised how quickly I got comfortable with the one-button trackpad on my iBook 600 after some initial "flying cursor" static issues disappeared. I've struggled more trying to use the one-button Apple mouse on Macs at stores and know I won't use one when I get a desktop Mac sometime after Panther is included. I'll use my Wacom tablet more then since I can leave it permanently attached.

I've never used a two-button trackpad much because the one on my wife's Toshiba notebook generates "random" (and potentially dangerous!) left clicks, regardless of preference tweaking. At times it seemingly happened even when I wasn't touching the trackpad at all(!) So the mouse has been a permanent peripheral for a couple years.

A few weeks ago while repairing a friend's Windows worm/virus-infested Toshiba notebook I quickly discovered it had the same random-click-trackpad behavior(!) I dunno what it is with those trackpads but they're usable for me. It may be I've overlooked something "obvious", and writing this inspires me to google a bit for info about it after posting here. :)

I'll be interested to try SideTrack on my iBook tho' probably not 'til it's out of beta since I'm not doing anything risky with my system before an upcoming holiday. I like MenuMeters... just wish the menubar wasn't maxed-out crowded now. I'd give up the vertical space to have a second, separate, always-visible menu bar for various "menu extras" that won't be obscured by application menus. Hmm, that would be an interesting utility... maybe a future Unsanity haxie? :D

Schiffi

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2003
Missouri
It's really sad at the number of people not buying iBooks/Powerbooks dues to the one button mouse thing. Frankly I hope Apple never retires the one button mouse.

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
On further thought, yeah, it is better to have a single-button mouse. Having the scroll function is REALLY nice though. I always hated scrolling through long documents when away from my PowerMate before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.