Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ColoJohnBoy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 10, 2003
Denver, Colorado
I've been having trouble with my AirPort network. Mine is always on, but somebody else in my building has a Wi-Fi network, and whenever they switch it on, mine is interrupted, and I'm forced to turn off AirPort, put my computer to sleep, wait, and then wake up and restart. I have my preferences set to join a specific network, and I'm not seeing any options that will prevent this from happening. Any ideas?

ColoJohnBoy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 10, 2003
Denver, Colorado
I haven't done that yet, mainly because I'm not sure how. :D Can you give me some instructions, or where I might find info? I checked Help but it's very vague and doesn't refer to this problem specifically.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Open your Airport Admin utility. Click on Configure when your base station shows up. Then click Show All. Under the Airport tab, you should see a drop down menu that says Channel. Change it to any other channel than the one you are on.

See if that helps. I had to change mine because of my cordless phone. Every time it would ring my Airport would go out, but I changed the channel, and it works perfectly now.

legion

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2003
Channel changing helps with signal interference, but you may have a bridging problem. All the airports have a network bridge built in (to help setup quickly a large wireless grid.) It may be trying to bridge to the other Airport base station. Have you checked with the other owner of the other wifi network if they are experiencing similar problems?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.