Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carbonmotion

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2004
San Francisco, CA
Hello forum,

I'm going on vacation in Tibet in a month and a half, I have a Nikon D40 with a 18-55mm kit lens, should I get a 50 mm 1.8 to complement that? I understand there is no AF. But I need bokeh, good glass, and, slightly better low light abilities on the cheap. I also can't do manual metering.

also, is 100 dollars a good deal for the thrifty fifty?

thanks in advance for answering...

-CM

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
As the Sigma 10-20 is probably too expensive for you, I'd go for Autopano Pro, budget compact tripod legs, and a Panosaurus.

carbonmotion

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2004
San Francisco, CA
As the Sigma 10-20 is probably too expensive for you, I'd go for Autopano Pro, budget compact tripod legs, and a Panosaurus.

I have a tripod, but I will be on the move, so setting up might not always happen.
also, I have no filters right now and when i take pictures the sky is always washed white, what colors should i get to max my saturation

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
I would have thought that a decent UV filter would also be absolutely essential at those altitudes.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
AFAIK, an UV filter is not necessary with digital. I would go for a small QPcard.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
Good grief, how often are you going to Tibet? You want to come back with a bunch of bad photos because, sniff, you are so poor (going to Tibet)(?).

You will not miss the money after a while, but you will feel terrible forever if you miss good shots. No regrets, no time to be on a budget.

You need the 18-200 VR zoom and a wide angle. The VR part is important what with all the twilight mountain shadows and all. That zoom is a Nikon-only product and they make that super wide zoom as well, but you could use an aftermarket product. Lots of stuff in Tibet is far away, so a long zoom is good. The wide ange would be great for street scenes, village shots, interiors, people, etc. rather than panoramas of mountains. You have seen those shots where everything is small and far away. Not usually so great. But, what the heck, digital is free and you can toss stuff out.

With those lenses you would not need a tripod and that will be very welcome. You will also have a minimum amount of equipment to attract attention.

Why bother with a 50mm? Some mostly mythical better quality? No, you need to get the shots! Rent those lenses, get a loan and sell them when you get back, whatever, and get insurance! You could sell your equipment on ebay in about 10 minutes, before the credit car bill even comes!

Years later you will not miss the money, but if you don't get what you need you will have to explain your pile of bad photos with tiresome poor stories that nobody will want to hear. Sleep on piles of yak dung, eat entrails-whatever, but do this right.

You also need extra storage in the form of cards, ipods or something, and at least one extra battery. And the recommended polorizer. Investigate what kind of electrical power is available, or not, and get what you need to recharge your stuff.

Lastly, learn how to use your stuff now so that you get all your equipment has to offer. There are landscape modes and such that may be of help. There are also people that suggest different default settings to get more saturation and that may be good at altitude. Check out Ken rockwell's site for that.

Do this right!

TimTheEnchanter

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2004
Minneapolis, MN
Good grief, how often are you going to Tibet?.....You need the 18-200 VR zoom and a wide angle....You also need extra storage in the form of cards, ipods or something, and at least one extra battery. And the recommended polorizer. Investigate what kind of electrical power is available, or not, and get what you need to recharge your stuff......

A bit blunt, but right on target Carlgo. I went to China this past August and purchased the 18-200 VR and also took my 11-18 wide (absolute must for Tibet). These 2 lenses were all I needed (although I did pack them but never left my hard case). Pack light! You really don't need to bring it all, just extra batteries, charger & universal plug-converter (China has 2-3 plug standards), cards, polarizer, flash, decent monopod or lightweight tripod, and if you can swing it a laptop & ext. drive (iPod) for backing-up. If this is a "trip of a lifetime" I suggest getting an extra body for "just in case", my D70 died on the 3rd day there but luckily I had another body available.

Rugged & beautiful part of China. Post some pics when you get back and enjoy yourself!
TTE :)

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I would have thought that a decent UV filter would also be absolutely essential at those altitudes.

The lens in the lens itself filters UV as does the filter laminated over the CCD sensor. Also, if the scenes do become to blueish you can make a white balance adjustment. If this were afilm camera I might agree.

The only filters likely needed will be a polarizer and possibly a graduated nuetral density filter but the ND Grad filter is best if using a tripod because it takes some effort to set up.

18mm may be wide enough for you. You can always resort to panorama if you have to. the 50mm lens is good for people shots. It will work like a medium telephoto lens on the d40 but I guess you know that having a 55mm zoom.

You might consider replacing the 18-55 with an 18-70 and taking the 50mm f/1.8 the 18-70 was the kit lens from the D70 and they show up cheap on the used market. I like it. It is faster then the 18-55, has manual focus override, and the filter ring does not rotate making it usable with polerizing filter. If yuo do buy the Pol filter you will like the non-rotating ring.

I have a small camera case and keep only the 18-70 and either the 85mm or 50mm lens plus a flash. I have more leses but I try to keep the number of them I take with me down

jayb2000

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2003
RI -> CA -> ME
yeah, see if you can rent some expensive glass 14-24mm f/2.8G ED, 18-200 and 400mm f/2.8G ED VR

That should cover anything you need and give you some low light capabilities.

Instead of the 50 1.8, I would look at the 35mm f/2D. I have the 50 1.8, and it is nice, but it is also a bit longer than I would like for indoor shots, party shots, etc. The 35 would be better for those, due to the multiplier effect.

have fun and be sure you keep a photocopy of receipts for everything, in case you get hassled by customs for importing those lenses anywhere. Don't want to have to pay tax!

seany916

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2006
Southern California
50 is a great lens (use if for low light)

but you'll definitely want a wider lens and although people LOVE primes, zooms are simply more flexible and lighter for travel (just get some higher quality zooms)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.