Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Nov 13, 2007, 03:00 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

MakeiPhoneRingtones 1.3

With the return of methods to create free ringtones to the iPhone, RougeAmoeba has reintroduced their MakeiPhoneRingtone application which automates the manual process of renaming your AAC files and reimporting them into iTunes.
Quote:
Drop any AAC file on MakeiPhoneRingtone and it will be processed and passed off to iTunes, where it will be handled as a Ringtone. The file will show up in iTunes' Ringtone sub-library as well as the Ringtones tab in the iPhone section, where you can sync it to your iPhone. Once it's on your iPhone, you can use the file as a global ringtone, per-contact ringtone, or even an alarm clock sound.
The application is only available for Mac.

Article Link
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2007, 03:07 PM   #2
tothecore
macrumors newbie

how long do we think this will work for? will this possibly make my phone a brick?
4GB iPhone
tothecore is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2007, 03:34 PM   #3
CWallace
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by tothecore View Post
how long do we think this will work for?
Should be forever since Apple is no longer actively denying custom ringtones since the iPhone 1.1.2 firmware.

Quote:
Will this possibly make my phone a brick?
I am guessing it does not write data to the system software section (since it would have no reason to), so it should be perfectly safe.
CWallace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2007, 03:48 PM   #4
bmg97
macrumors newbie

Okay, I have a question ! I updated itunes last night. Think it was a bad idea becuase I finally learned how to use garageband and convert all that crap. Now the ringtones will not load. I have 1.1.1. What the hell to I do ? I have itoner if needed. everytime I catch up something changes !!! I should go back to my old Nokia from 1998 !
bmg97 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2007, 04:18 PM   #5
tothecore
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWallace View Post
Should be forever since Apple is no longer actively denying custom ringtones since the iPhone 1.1.2 firmware.

I am guessing it does not write data to the system software section (since it would have no reason to), so it should be perfectly safe.
thx
4GB iPhone
tothecore is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2007, 05:03 PM   #6
rtcruz1
macrumors member

works for me!

works perfectly for me.. I was waiting for this! I was using it before, and was so disappointed when it stopped working after the 1st firmware update. Now it's back! yipee!

Thanks Rogue Amoeba!
rtcruz1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2007, 06:26 PM   #7
bmg97
macrumors newbie

How come the ringtone works when I play it. Then when I transfer it with itoner to the phone there is no sound from the ringtone on the phone ?
bmg97 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2007, 07:22 PM   #8
Me1000
macrumors 68000

There was an apple script that would let you automaticly import a song from itunes into garage band, you could edit it there, then it would send it to MakeiPhoneRingtone and then back to iTunes.

Anyone got a link?
Me1000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2007, 09:14 PM   #9
ross.32
macrumors 6502

I take it that this will not work for DRM tracks?
ross.32 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2007, 10:29 PM   #10
pilotError
macrumors 68020

They've made my wife very happy.
pilotError is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2007, 12:58 PM   #11
chr1s60
macrumors 65816

I still can't believe that Apple has allowed this free ringtone stuff to go on as long as it has. It seems crazy after they way they acted the first time free ringtones were discovered.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 01:35 PM   #12
Red Dwarf
macrumors newbie

Not me

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtcruz1 View Post
works perfectly for me.. I was waiting for this! I was using it before, and was so disappointed when it stopped working after the 1st firmware update. Now it's back! yipee!

Thanks Rogue Amoeba!
Not working for me. It loads the ring tones into the folder on itunes, but it does not sync to the phone.

Nice idea, but it just does not work.
Red Dwarf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2007, 01:45 PM   #13
bondsbw
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmg97 View Post
Okay, I have a question ! I updated itunes last night. Think it was a bad idea becuase I finally learned how to use garageband and convert all that crap. Now the ringtones will not load. I have 1.1.1. What the hell to I do ? I have itoner if needed. everytime I catch up something changes !!! I should go back to my old Nokia from 1998 !
Have you considered iPhone update 1.1.2? That's what this post was about, not 1.1.1...
bondsbw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2007, 06:23 PM   #14
sacsig
macrumors newbie

works for me!!!!!!

The weird thing was that when I synced my phone it said the file could not be copied to the phone, but it did anyway!
sacsig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2007, 07:22 PM   #15
daffymcg
macrumors newbie

iphone ringtones 1.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dwarf View Post
Not working for me. It loads the ring tones into the folder on itunes, but it does not sync to the phone.

Nice idea, but it just does not work.
it aint workin for me either. appears in the subfolders in itunes and iphone, but does not appear in the sync ringtones tab. any suggestions?
daffymcg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2007, 11:33 AM   #16
fribhey
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffymcg View Post
it aint workin for me either. appears in the subfolders in itunes and iphone, but does not appear in the sync ringtones tab. any suggestions?
the songs have to be 30 seconds or less for it to appear in the sync ringtones tab. it works perfectly with the latest itunes and iphone update.
fribhey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2007, 12:51 PM   #17
IgorRudy
macrumors newbie

iPhone does not work in the cold weather when the users hands are cold

iPhone does not work in the cold weather when the users hands are cold (news from Ukraine). At least 1 out of 100 Ukrainians can not use iPhone if his/her hands are cold (below 36.6C) - screen just does not respond to the touches. Interestingly, number of not working iPhone cases, especially high among Ukrainian politicians
http://www.sostav.ua/news/2007/11/15/8/4307/
IgorRudy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2007, 01:20 PM   #18
taybo20
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgorRudy View Post
iPhone does not work in the cold weather when the users hands are cold (news from Ukraine). At least 1 out of 100 Ukrainians can not use iPhone if his/her hands are cold (below 36.6C) - screen just does not respond to the touches. Interestingly, number of not working iPhone cases, especially high among Ukrainian politicians
http://www.sostav.ua/news/2007/11/15/8/4307/
And why exactly did you post this in this thread?
taybo20 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2007, 01:26 PM   #19
ross.32
macrumors 6502

Because if they cannot use their iPhone with cold hands, then they will not be able to answer someone's call when their custom ring-tone starts going off.
Old Nov 15, 2007, 08:33 PM   #20
pooryou
macrumors 65816

I understand dead people have a lot of trouble answering their phones also, even with really loud ringtones...
pooryou is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2007, 09:04 PM   #21
daffymcg
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fribhey View Post
the songs have to be 30 seconds or less for it to appear in the sync ringtones tab. it works perfectly with the latest itunes and iphone update.
thanks. it worked. under 30 is the trick.
daffymcg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2007, 02:52 PM   #22
MacKraut
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooryou View Post
I understand dead people have a lot of trouble answering their phones also, even with really loud ringtones...
That's because unless cremated, a dead person's hands are below, what was it, 36.6 C?
MacKraut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2007, 02:56 PM   #23
ross.32
macrumors 6502

I guess they could just plug in the ear phones and use them to answer it. That way they do not have to worry about touching the screen. Not to get back on topic or anything, but this app only works with songs that are not bought from the iTunes store, correct?
Old Nov 16, 2007, 03:00 PM   #24
MacKraut
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffymcg View Post
thanks. it worked. under 30 is the trick.
I was thrown out by that one as well, even though I had read the comment on Rogue's website, clearly stating that ringtones would not get sync'd if they were 40.4 seconds in length, but 40.3 worked.

It appears the limit is not 30 seconds (I have ringtones that exceed 35 seconds)

My confusion stemmed from the fact that when I used GarageBand (I had never used it before, I'm not the music creative type (sigh)) changing the bottom display to show time, I spliced 35 seconds of a song, or so it said at the bottom, but when playing in iTunes after importing the excerpt, it exceeded 40 seconds of play time. I first thought I had forgotten to delete around the spliced section, but confirmed I had not.

Any GarageBand user knows why that is?

I suspect something like a setting for "beat"/"speed", but I'm clueless.

In any case, on Rogue's site it states 40.3 seconds will syn, 40.4 will not, although the logic for this is unknown.

Thanks you Rogue for releasing this new version.
Thanks Apple for making us happy by allowing custom ringtones from our collections of sounds, custom and otherwise legally acquired and owned music.
Old Nov 16, 2007, 03:02 PM   #25
MacKraut
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ross.32 View Post
I guess they could just plug in the ear phones and use them to answer it. That way they do not have to worry about touching the screen. Not to get back on topic or anything, but this app only works with songs that are not bought from the iTunes store, correct?
I suspect it works for all non DRM songs.

I assume that any iTunes+ song should thus work, but can't confirm. I have not bought DRM free iTunes tracks, or converted those that are now available.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion