Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VegetaPunk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2002
AZ
I do some programming and other things for school so I kind of need windows, it sucks, but its also life. (;) Kind of nice for games too) anyway VPC just didnt cut it, if you have a program that takes 1-2 hours (remember that im learning this) it might take be 2-4 on VPC its slowness adds up!!! I got feed up and built my own PC which is pretty damn good for $509 (I love newegg) This plus about $30 for a KVM Switch, for those who dont know what this is, it attaches two computers to one monitor and keyboard. (iogear has the only small usb one that I could find for those interested this one costs $50) now I get to use my mac and when I want to go into "super vpc mod" I just hit the "scroll lock" button twice and in two seconds im in Windoze world @ full speed to play games, program for school, or to get headacks from troobleshooting problems.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
That sounds pretty sweet. Not only that, but it doesn't cost that much more than just getting VPC considering the vast usefulness and performance you get with that kind of setup. Good luck with that and enjoy your system, I bet it is pretty useful to switch back and forth when you need to without penalty.

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
ha ha. i knew what this thread was about as soon as i read the title. :D

anyway, it is good to have a cheap PC sitting around. as soon as i get my PowerBook i'm going to keep this Celeron 333. :p

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: The Ultimate VPC!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Use VNC or Microsoft Remote Desktop.

Then you can access your PC from your Mac in a window. No switch needed.

arn

stoid

macrumors 601
this is a great idea

so I could take my new 15 inch AluBook into my programming class, and then when I needed to I could have it pluggedinto the tower that at the desk already and just switch over whenever I needed to??

sign me up, where do I buy??

VegetaPunk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2002
AZ
arn I heard that the remote desktop slows it down :( since you are running @ the speed of your network... right?? this way I dont loose anything at all :)

bbarnhart

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2002
Originally posted by VegetaPunk
arn I heard that the remote desktop slows it down :( since you are running @ the speed of your network... right?? this way I dont loose anything at all :)

Obviously, its not as fast as actually sitting in front of a PC or using the KVM switch. It's not for playing games either. However, for most regular apps it works great. I use it to "fix" my wife's PC at home and I use it at work so I don't have to get up and use a PC in the other room. All of my PC's are on my main workstation.

ewinemiller

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2001
west of Philly
Re: The Ultimate VPC!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just hit the "scroll lock" button twice and in two seconds im in Windoze world @ full speed to play games, program for school, or to get headacks from troobleshooting problems.
How does that new iogear KVM work? I have been looking at it, but loath to buy because my current KVM also uses scroll lock as the hot key and when you hit it, the shutdown dialog comes up on the Mac. The Mac also loses the keyboard and mouse when you come back from the PC. Does the iogear work better?

beefcake

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2003
Baltimore
I found a guy who would sell me an Athlon 800 with a GeForce II MX and half a gig of ram, with a 15" CRT for $50. Sorry VPC, but I see no reason to pay several times more for a poorly performing slower program.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001

true, for games and graphic intensive stuff, prob not the best option... for everything else, works very well

arn

VegetaPunk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2002
AZ
How does that new iogear KVM work? I have been looking at it, but loath to buy because my current KVM also uses scroll lock as the hot key and when you hit it, the shutdown dialog comes up on the Mac. The Mac also loses the keyboard and mouse when you come back from the PC. Does the iogear work better?

Its pretty good, im using os x and I dont have any problems at all!!! The only thing I ran into is when I shut windows down and hit the button on the key board to switch nothing happened (my mac was in sleep mode) but all I had to do was hit the power button on my mac and it switched it for me :) I am having Windoze problems though... not related to the switch, I just need to learn how do fix and how to do things on this OS.

StealthRider

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2002
Here and there!
Originally posted by beefcake
I found a guy who would sell me an Athlon 800 with a GeForce II MX and half a gig of ram, with a 15" CRT for $50. Sorry VPC, but I see no reason to pay several times more for a poorly performing slower program.

Especially if you have a G5...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.