Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Nov 19, 2007, 08:17 AM   #1
khunsanook
macrumors 6502

trouble adding fonts to MS Word

Hi,
I'm trying to add Thai fonts to Microsoft Word (Office Mac 2004). These are fonts that are in the OSX Leopard font book (Ayuthaya, Krungthep, Thonburi, etc.), but when I add them to the Font folder of Office, they do not show up when I reopen Word. The Thai fonts "just work" in other applications. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks.
khunsanook is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2007, 08:29 AM   #2
MisterMe
macrumors G4

I have no additional fonts in my Office fonts folder, yet all of my installed fonts show up in my Office font menus. You should not need to add fonts to the Office fonts folder. Placing them in one of the standard MacOS X fonts folders should suffice. You may add them manually or you may use Font Book.
MisterMe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2007, 08:43 AM   #3
khunsanook
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMe View Post
I have no additional fonts in my Office fonts folder, yet all of my installed fonts show up in my Office font menus. You should not need to add fonts to the Office fonts folder. Placing them in one of the standard MacOS X fonts folders should suffice. You may add them manually or you may use Font Book.
Hmmm, well that's good news i guess. But since these fonts are already in my osx system fonts folder I guess the next step would be to reinstall office and hope they show up again in MS WORD.

Thanks for you reply
khunsanook is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2007, 12:50 PM   #4
MisterMe
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by khunsanook View Post
Hmmm, well that's good news i guess. But since these fonts are already in my osx system fonts folder I guess the next step would be to reinstall office and hope they show up again in MS WORD.

See if this helps.
MisterMe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2008, 11:39 PM   #5
Jonathryn
macrumors newbie

Here's how I did it

Download the font, go to "Window" in Safari, click "Downloads," click the font folder, copy it (Ctrl-V), go to Finder, then Macintosh HD, then Library, then Fonts, then paste it there. It should be immediately available to your Word document, even if it's still open. Hope this helps.
Jonathryn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2008, 05:53 PM   #6
baummer
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to baummer
You're probably placing them in your user fonts folder as opposed to the system font folder.
baummer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2009, 11:40 AM   #7
Nanners
macrumors newbie

Khun-ngong

Khunsanook (love the name by the way) - did you ever get this to work out, and if so, how? I'm curious because I'm dealing with the same problem.
Nanners is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2011, 03:00 PM   #8
darknightnf
macrumors newbie

Yeah, did anyone resolve this? I am also having the same problem. I am using Snow Lepoard and using Microsoft Word for Mac 2011
darknightnf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2011, 08:14 AM   #9
fireandsalt
macrumors newbie

Clear your font cache for MS Word.

/Users/XXX/Library/Preferences/Microsoft/Office2008/Office Font Cache(12)

Find the above file and delete it, then restart your Mac. It will rebuild your font cache for Microsoft.

If your afraid to delete it right out, just move it to a different folder or rename it.
fireandsalt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:40 AM   #10
klikes99
macrumors newbie

This didn't work for me

Everything worked except for using it in word. I have a new 2012 MAC os x version. Please help! I'm needing walt disney font for grandson's invitations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathryn View Post
Download the font, go to "Window" in Safari, click "Downloads," click the font folder, copy it (Ctrl-V), go to Finder, then Macintosh HD, then Library, then Fonts, then paste it there. It should be immediately available to your Word document, even if it's still open. Hope this helps.
klikes99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2012, 01:26 PM   #11
deep diver
macrumors 6502a

Is it disabled in FontBook? I've had some disabled fonts show up in other applications but not MSWord. If that's the case, enable it in FontBook and you should be good.
deep diver is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:28 PM   #12
Conscom
macrumors newbie

I have tried everything to have new fonts added to MS Word without success. I believe MS purposely limited any additions from outside source. That's the very reason I quit using a PC!! Any fonts downloaded will work in a Mac app.like text edit. Forget MSOffice and get iWork from Apple. I'm cutting the umbilical cord to MS altogether!
Conscom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2014, 11:17 AM   #13
lankfordrocks
macrumors newbie

Found A Solution For Myself

I'll be the first to say Microsoft is the devil.

I do not doubt they will run Hell. Granted, with incompetence, but still...

Anyway, I have been FRUSTRATED BEYOND WORDS about the font issues I have with Microsoft Word. Every program I run on my computer (MBP, 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, Mavericks 10.9.2) uses the fonts I install through Font Book FLAWLESSLY (including Adobe CC).

I finally found help with a free utility which searches out the font caches on your computer (all font caches, not just my MS caches) and clears them out (http://jamapi.com/pr/fn/). I have nothing to do with the guy who created Font Nuke, but dang -- I ran the program once and it solved all my font issues with MS Word.

Which is awesome. I can now use MS Word without homicidal tendencies.

I ran Font Nuke, then restarted the computer twice, and then opened MS Word. The font cache was re-written, and the new fonts which had not worked loaded up and are working normally. I recommend this method if you've tried everything else and nothing worked.
lankfordrocks is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store