Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Nov 26, 2007, 01:06 AM   #1
Zwhaler
macrumors Demi-God

iPod Can't find me home Wifi network

For some reason, all of a sudden my iPod can't seem to find my Wifi network, even though it is less than 10 feet away from the router itself. It is hacked, but when I go to wifi, nothing comes up, and if I type in the info under "other" it says it can't find my network.
Old Nov 26, 2007, 09:24 AM   #2
andybno1
macrumors 68040

I know this sounds like a simple suggestion but I find it works for me at home sometimes, try pointing the touch's antena (the black bit on the back) towards your router see if that helps
andybno1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2007, 10:56 PM   #3
Zwhaler
macrumors Demi-God

That does work, except only when a few feet from my router. Once I get even into a different room (10 feet away) it loses signal. Even when it is right next to the router, the signal strength before joining the network is 1 bar out of three. I'll contact apple I guess...
Old Nov 27, 2007, 01:20 AM   #4
Merkuryy
macrumors regular

Sounds weird, I usually don't have any problems with Wi-Fi, even in school (Many laptop have problems with the network in my school, but my Touch handle it pretty well, I can even go to Macrumors)

My suggestion is, first, make sure your router really work. And then make sure your Touch can really get into others network, and then we will see. When I first got a TP-Link at home, it took me pretty much time to get used to it
Old Nov 27, 2007, 01:55 AM   #5
andybno1
macrumors 68040

you could also have a short range router
andybno1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2007, 09:54 PM   #6
Zwhaler
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybno1 View Post
you could also have a short range router
It's an airport... I got a replacement recently maybe that has something to do with it.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 12:41 AM   #7
Zwhaler
macrumors Demi-God

Strange... for some reason my iPod seems to get full signal. Hopefully that won't happen again, it was kind of annoying
Old Jan 25, 2009, 01:55 AM   #8
Tassell
macrumors newbie

Ipod touch can't find networks

I have been in three airports with WIFI in two countries and now my home network and my IPOD touch just keeps searching for a network, but never finds it. Did not have this problem two days ago... And it has worked perfectly from my home before. Anyone have an idea what's wrong?
Tassell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2009, 05:28 PM   #9
Gleadr
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to Gleadr Send a message via Yahoo to Gleadr
This happens to me a lot. It says my network then it says unable to connect. SO the only thing that i have found to get it working again is to turn off the router, and unplug the modem, then turn everything back on and once i do that the internet works fine
Gleadr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2009, 01:03 PM   #10
kotsios21cy
macrumors newbie

cant find networks

hi,suddendly my ipod touch cant find any network..not even mine!! its searching but cant find!! im trying everything (restore,reset network settings etc) but still nothing!! please somebody...
kotsios21cy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2010, 11:17 PM   #11
Whippet96
macrumors newbie

Still can't connect with iPod Touch

I am using a Airport Express router that has no issues. We have three Laptops (2 PCs and 1 Mac) and an iPhone that regularly connect (I'm using my Mac through the WIFI right now), however the iPod Touch can only randomly find the network. Sometimes it can't even find it when standing next to the router (we have tried this with several different networks with the same results. Does any one have any more ideas???

Thanks in advance
Greg
Whippet96 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2010, 12:25 PM   #12
Mugwumper
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to Mugwumper Send a message via Yahoo to Mugwumper Send a message via Skype™ to Mugwumper
Try switching off the "Wi-Fi Networks" setting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whippet96 View Post
I am using a Airport Express router that has no issues. We have three Laptops (2 PCs and 1 Mac) and an iPhone that regularly connect (I'm using my Mac through the WIFI right now), however the iPod Touch can only randomly find the network. Sometimes it can't even find it when standing next to the router (we have tried this with several different networks with the same results. Does any one have any more ideas???

Thanks in advance
Greg
I've had all the symptoms this group is posting, and the only solution that
seems to work is to do Settings -> Wi-Fi Networks -> Off and then back On.

It seems to lose track of the automatic connection when I do a backup and
synch, or update apps, or add music. Occasionally, I've even had to go back
and re-enter the WPA password. I'm in my den, about 15 feet from the
wireless router - the Settings on my Touch shows 2 bars, but when it gets
connected, it shows full strength.

At one point, I also removed this home network setting from the list, and
re-entered everything. Seems a little more stable after that.

Hope this helps . . .
Old Apr 15, 2010, 03:09 AM   #13
Mazda6gyrl
macrumors newbie

Has anyone been able to fix this prob?? I can't connect to my wifi at home but at work I can. Also I don't think that it's a prob with the modem cause I can log on to my wifi with my bfs Iphone. (which has no phone service at the moment).

Anyone have any ideas?? Thanks
Mazda6gyrl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 09:33 AM   #14
kas23
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda6gyrl View Post
Has anyone been able to fix this prob?? I can't connect to my wifi at home but at work I can. Also I don't think that it's a prob with the modem cause I can log on to my wifi with my bfs Iphone. (which has no phone service at the moment).

Anyone have any ideas?? Thanks
Why don't you try following Apple's official advice of a) making sure your router is turned on and/or b) move closer to your router.

Seriously, make a Genius appointment to get a replacement. Apple is not going to take this problem seriously until it begins to affect their bottom line. For a device that solely depends on WiFi for 95% of its functional abilities, the WiFi should work perfectly.
kas23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 08:34 PM   #15
Mazda6gyrl
macrumors newbie

I tried resetting the modem....sat right next to it and it still don't work...I would take it to an apple store but I live on an island which doesn't have an apple store.
Mazda6gyrl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 08:38 PM   #16
Intell
macrumors P6

For a good number of the posters/readers on this site the nearest Apple Store is around 2-3 hours away. I do think that after you tried restoring it and setting it up as a new iPod and it still doesn't work. Call Apple Support and see what they say.

Last edited by Intell; Apr 15, 2010 at 08:54 PM.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2011, 03:11 PM   #17
rars2
macrumors newbie

Thumbs up Fixed

Okay, I had this problem because my dad set up a new router...for 25mB speed (virgin media rulez)
He set it so the capacity was too high for any of my mobile devices i.e. ipod and HTC Hero to even detect....
so we set it down from 5gHz and now it's completetly fine!
just fiddle around with the administrator settings for the network and you should be able to find it
rars2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2011, 12:51 AM   #18
smigit2002
macrumors newbie

This has happened to me a couple times.
The problem has always been solved by simple turning the iPod off and on again.
Remember, actually turn it off, don't just tap the power button. It takes a minute or two, but my wireless will usually pop right back up once it's restarted.
smigit2002 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2011, 08:05 PM   #19
willpatt
macrumors newbie

my ipod wont find any routers even when im standing right next mine and the bluetooth wont even work it has been like this for awile and it is realy starting to bug me as i have tried everything on most sites that i have been on
willpatt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2011, 12:17 PM   #20
michaelgmaloy
macrumors newbie

@ willpatt
may be you should check your iPod wi-fi settings? or the capacity of the router you're trying to connect to.

Last edited by michaelgmaloy; Apr 22, 2011 at 02:50 PM.
michaelgmaloy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2011, 01:12 PM   #21
BlackMagik
macrumors newbie

iOS software version? If not lastest, I'd start by updating it...
BlackMagik is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2011, 08:11 PM   #22
Beach004
macrumors newbie

Thumbs down Home network, also

I'm having exactly the same problem; after several months of no problem at all, logging automatically into my home network, suddenly this morning I can't connect; take the iTouch to work, and it connects automatically without a problem; come back home, no connection. I have rebooted the router; I have turned the iTouch off (at least, I guess that's what happens when I press the button on the top and the screen goes black). This is really odd, and frustrating.

Never mind! I asked my techy daughter about this mystery; turns out while I was out of town for the weekend she dropped by and changed my home network to not broadcast its name. Be nice if she had told ME...

Last edited by Beach004; Apr 19, 2011 at 10:30 AM. Reason: New information
Beach004 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2012, 10:54 AM   #23
ctaylor215
macrumors newbie

My iPod was stolen and I went onto iCloud to try to search for it. The iPod says it's offline and can't be located...what do I do now?
ctaylor215 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2012, 10:58 AM   #24
miles01110
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctaylor215 View Post
My iPod was stolen and I went onto iCloud to try to search for it. The iPod says it's offline and can't be located...what do I do now?
Buy a new iPod...
Old Feb 4, 2012, 12:37 PM   #25
yeah
macrumors 6502a

Maybe you should try resetting the network settings (Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings)

Or erase your iPod and take it in to the Apple Store

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch