Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Dec 7, 2007, 02:59 PM   #1
Sal Collaziano
macrumors regular

Send a message via ICQ to Sal Collaziano Send a message via AIM to Sal Collaziano Send a message via MSN to Sal Collaziano Send a message via Yahoo to Sal Collaziano Send a message via Skype™ to Sal Collaziano
How to connect iPhone to MacBook Pro?

I'd like to send a few files to my iPhone via bluetooth - but when I try to connect, I'm told there are no services on the phone that utilize bluetooth. What am I doing wrong? It's turned on, both devices (notebook and iPhone) are discoverable... They connect (I enter the passcode, etc) - I just can't do anything else..

Thanks in advance...
Old Dec 7, 2007, 03:07 PM   #2
gauchogolfer
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to gauchogolfer Send a message via Yahoo to gauchogolfer Send a message via Skype™ to gauchogolfer
Short answer: you can't.

No file transfer via Bluetooth, only syncing with iTunes. Bluetooth is only used for hands-free devices.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 04:41 PM   #3
ChrisK018
macrumors regular

Ah. That explains it. I was wondering the same thing.
ChrisK018 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2007, 08:24 PM   #4
Sal Collaziano
macrumors regular

Send a message via ICQ to Sal Collaziano Send a message via AIM to Sal Collaziano Send a message via MSN to Sal Collaziano Send a message via Yahoo to Sal Collaziano Send a message via Skype™ to Sal Collaziano
Thank you! That explains it.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 02:28 PM   #5
snlassen
macrumors newbie

Work around?

Is there a way to get around this? There are so many ways it would be useful!
snlassen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2010, 10:48 PM   #6
jhfrey83
macrumors newbie

I'm not finding any luck around this. I've researched in depth...I could be looking in the wrong places though. It makes no sense. I was able to transfer files via bluetooth on my LG Dare. Now that I have an IPhone I can not. A little frustrating.
jhfrey83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2010, 10:56 PM   #7
-aggie-
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhfrey83 View Post
I'm not finding any luck around this. I've researched in depth...I could be looking in the wrong places though. It makes no sense. I was able to transfer files via bluetooth on my LG Dare. Now that I have an IPhone I can not. A little frustrating.
The answer is still the same for a non-jailbroke phone. For a JB phone, IDK.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 11:01 PM   #8
pcs are junk
Banned

My Jailbroken iPhone and iPod Touch connect to my MacBook for about one second before they disconnect. I think its something to do with the Jailbreak, or something I installed. I can connect to my MacBook via Bluetooth, if I go into Settings > General > Network > Internet Tethering, and turning it on, while its not plugged into my MacBook. Then, on my MacBook, I need to go to the Bluetooth icon on the menubar, and hover over my iPhone, and select Connect to Network. Then I am connected without disconnections. This is really, really strange, and I wish someone knew the answer to this problem.
pcs are junk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2010, 11:15 PM   #9
-aggie-
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcs are junk View Post
My Jailbroken iPhone and iPod Touch connect to my MacBook for about one second before they disconnect. I think its something to do with the Jailbreak, or something I installed. I can connect to my MacBook via Bluetooth, if I go into Settings > General > Network > Internet Tethering, and turning it on, while its not plugged into my MacBook. Then, on my MacBook, I need to go to the Bluetooth icon on the menubar, and hover over my iPhone, and select Connect to Network. Then I am connected without disconnections. This is really, really strange, and I wish someone knew the answer to this problem.
I can do what you're describing on a non-jailbroken phone. Really. It's called tethering via bluetooth, instead of USB.

The OP wants to transfer files to his phone via bluetooth. That's not tethering.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 11:20 PM   #10
pcs are junk
Banned

No, I'm just saying Bluetooth in general. Its not working for me, on either of my devices.
pcs are junk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2010, 02:53 PM   #11
bhansensfd
macrumors member

I have an Iphone 3G (AT&T)(3.1.3) and just received my new (first) Mac Book Pro. Is there a way to connect the laptop and Iphone via bluetooth? I have searched alot of threads but am not up on all of the terminology. I see in this thread that it states you cant transfer files via bluetooth but one member states they have their non jailbroke phone tethered to their mac book. Is there a break down on how to do this. Any help is greatly appreciated.
bhansensfd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2010, 03:01 PM   #12
-aggie-
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhansensfd View Post
I have an Iphone 3G (AT&T)(3.1.3) and just received my new (first) Mac Book Pro. Is there a way to connect the laptop and Iphone via bluetooth? I have searched alot of threads but am not up on all of the terminology. I see in this thread that it states you cant transfer files via bluetooth but one member states they have their non jailbroke phone tethered to their mac book. Is there a break down on how to do this. Any help is greatly appreciated.
You said two things there, but I'll assume you want tethering. See this:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=795141

You need to downgrade to 3.0 or 3.0.1 (forget the 2.2.1 crap from TheSpaz). Then you just use the AT&T 6.0 Stealth hack and you're done.

You'll need to use a PC or you can use TheSpaz's method to downgrade on a Mac.

Edit: I hadn't read TheSpaz's post in awhile. Essentially he requires a PC anyway, so just do what I said.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 03:12 PM   #13
bhansensfd
macrumors member

Ok so the link you provided goes to a youtube video that says that it doesnt work anymore and to goto another link on youtube and downgrade to 3.1.2. Does the tethering for AT&T work with that firmware revision?

Last edited by bhansensfd; Mar 16, 2010 at 03:19 PM.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 03:24 PM   #14
-aggie-
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Ok so the link you provided goes to a youtube video that says that it doesnt work anymore and to goto another link on youtube and downgrade to 3.1.2. Does the tethering for AT&T work with that firmware revision?
I can't look at the video here at work. It's been awhile since I downgraded. However, it's unclear why it wouldn't work any more. Can you or someone else explain what's up?

Anyway, if it's saying you can only downgrade to 3.1.2, then you can't tether. You have to get to 3.0 or 3.0.1. Also, if it is saying that, I'm glad I never went to 3.1.3. FYI, I downgraded from 3.1.2. Unless the new firmware from 3.1.3 somehow makes it impossible, which was not my understanding from talking to others about it on MR.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 03:45 PM   #15
bhansensfd
macrumors member

The video now has a text screen in it that says it doesnt work anymore. It doesnt give anymore info than that so I am not sure the reasoning. Anyone that can help it would be appreciated.

If it is possible to go back to 3.1.2 can you then follow the link you posted to go back to 3.0 from 3.1.2?
Old Mar 16, 2010, 03:47 PM   #16
-aggie-
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
The video now has a text screen in it that says it doesnt work anymore. It doesnt give anymore info than that so I am not sure the reasoning. Anyone that can help it would be appreciated.

If it is possible to go back to 3.1.2 can you then follow the link you posted to go back to 3.0 from 3.1.2?
I don't see why not, but I'd have to see what those messages are in the video.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 03:54 PM   #17
bhansensfd
macrumors member

Thank you for your time and help. I will check back to see what you think of the comments in the video.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 04:01 PM   #18
sapporobaby
Banned

There is an app called Phoneview. I am using if for the moments I want to put files and stuff on the iPhone.

Go to: www.ecamm.com

You have to pay for it but what else is new?
sapporobaby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2010, 04:20 PM   #19
Small White Car
macrumors G4

Everyone should really just be using dropbox.com.

You get a free account online and then download the free application from the iTunes store.

On your computer you can use the web broswer to upload files OR you can download their software (Mac or Windows or Linux) that creates a folder on your hard drive that syncs with the service.

So you drag a file onto your dropbox folder on your computer and, bam, 1 minute later it's in the Dropbox app on your iPhone.

(If you have no internet on your computer, get something like 'Files' on your iPhone. You can start a wifi network on your laptop and use Files to connect to the computer over that network. Not NEARLY as easy as Dropbox but it's a good backup if you don't have internet at home or something.)
Small White Car is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2010, 10:51 PM   #20
-aggie-
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Thank you for your time and help. I will check back to see what you think of the comments in the video.
Okay, I went to the video and there weren't any comments. Weird. I also looked at the 3.1.3 to 3.1.2 video and it looks like that didn't require quickpwn like the 3.1.1 to 3.0 video did (now it is called 3.1.3 to 3.0....the one you said had comments).

What does this mean? IDK. Anyway, do what the video said to do in the one that you said had comments. You'll need to find the .ipsw for 3.0 or 3.0.1 (found here: http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/ ). If you get the 1015 error, then use quickpwn like the video said. Once you get it to 3.0.1 do what was said to get the Stealth hack and you'll have tethering.

If for some reason it doesn't go to 3.0 directly, then downgrade to 3.1.2 first and then go from 3.1.2 to 3.0.1.

I assume you're on 3.1.3? Let me know how it goes. If things get all screwed up for you, remember, YMMV.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 12:36 AM   #21
iPhoneVic
macrumors regular

Send a message via Yahoo to iPhoneVic Send a message via Skype™ to iPhoneVic
https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTIyOTg5ODM5

https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTIyOTg5ODM5
iPhoneVic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2010, 07:46 PM   #22
-aggie-
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Still waiting for how it went.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 12:06 PM   #23
justaround
macrumors newbie

wanted to bump the thread with the same question. I used drop box but that is only helpful if you have an internet connection.

if i don't have an internet connection, i want to be able to wireless connect my iphone/touch to my macbook pro and transfer files between the 2. suggestions?
justaround is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2010, 02:21 PM   #24
Creegan
macrumors newbie

With a JB iPhone use iBlueNova or iBluetooth, both apps are on Cydia, the first one is the "pro" version of the 2nd one, which means that you have to pay for it.

But it works pretty good and let you exchange files with other phones, laptops and pretty much whatever device that uses bt for file sharing.
Creegan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2010, 08:01 AM   #25
Lstamp
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to Lstamp
internet tethering

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcs are junk View Post
I do not see <internet tethering> in my settings, general, network,,, but mine is not jailbroke??
Lstamp is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting