Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Sep 29, 2003, 05:43 AM   #1
riwanami
macrumors member

Angry 15" PowerBook Trackpad Problem

I'm about to purchase the new Al 15" PB, and I went to check it out at an Apple authorized store in Tokyo. (yes in Japan). I tried typing on keyboard on the 12", 15", and the 17" PBs using MS Word, and I found a problem on the 15". Whenever I typed for a few seconds, my right palm (near the base of my thumb) would touch the trackpad and move the curser to a different part of the screen, making it extreme difficult, if not impossible to type up a document longer than 3 words.

I turned off the ability to click using the trackpad in the control panel, which solved the problem, but the 12" and the 17" PBs didn't have this problem even when this setting was turned off.

Has anyone experienced this problem? This will be my first PowerBook since the PowerBook 180c that I bought 10 years ago for $4500 which was with the academic discount. (with 8mb of RAM)! In any case, thanks for your advice.
riwanami is offline   0
Old Sep 29, 2003, 05:54 AM   #2
5300cs
macrumors 68000

There's an Apple Store coming to the Ginza next year sometime.

I have an old 550 TiBook and that trackpad problem happens a lot .. mostly when I'm writing an email, I'll accidentally highlight a paragraph of text and type over it. Mind-shreddingly annoying at times. I've selected the same option as you under Mouse in System Preferences but it's made little to no difference.
I still like the TiBook though, and I, personally, would buy another one any day (if I had money, look at my signature.)
I've never had this problem with an iBook though,,,
Old Sep 29, 2003, 07:13 AM   #3
F/reW/re
macrumors 6502

Have the same problem on my iBook. There is a option to "turn off trackpad while typing" It might solw it..?
F/reW/re is offline   0
Old Sep 29, 2003, 02:26 PM   #4
joeyjojoe
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to joeyjojoe
I don't see that option unless its the same as "Ignore Accidental Trackpad Input".
joeyjojoe is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers