Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Dec 28, 2007, 05:03 PM   #1
MarkW19
macrumors 65816

Sync Stuck!

My UK iPhone (not jailbroken) has been syncing fine since I got it on Nov 9th.

But, today, it's been refusing to sync. iTunes simply stays on "Syncing "iPhone"", and doesn't make any progress like it usually does. 30 minutes later, and it's still there.

I've tried rebooting my Mac, my iPhone, but it's just the same. I've not changed anything recently on either device, so I can't understand why this is suddenly happening.

Can anyone help, please?
MarkW19 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2007, 05:48 PM   #2
chrisblore
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW19 View Post
My UK iPhone (not jailbroken) has been syncing fine since I got it on Nov 9th.

But, today, it's been refusing to sync. iTunes simply stays on "Syncing "iPhone"", and doesn't make any progress like it usually does. 30 minutes later, and it's still there.

I've tried rebooting my Mac, my iPhone, but it's just the same. I've not changed anything recently on either device, so I can't understand why this is suddenly happening.

Can anyone help, please?
There have been numerous threads about this on the official Apple forums about this in the last few days and it seems to be a fairly recent and widespread problem. I've submitted a feedback report to Apple and am rather hoping that they will acknowledge the issue and release a quick fix as this renders my iPhone practically useless, particularly at the moment as I am annoyed about O2 and CPW being very sluggish in porting my number over.

Having received this thing as a Christmas present costing £269, one would expect it to do what it is supposed to do and instead I'm carrying around the equivalent of a Blackberry that only checks my emails every 15 minutes, albeit a very, very cool one.
chrisblore is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2007, 05:57 PM   #3
MarkW19
macrumors 65816

Well, I had a US iPhone (jailbroken, SIM unlocked) earlier in the year, and this same problem happened once with that, too.

I've sorted it out for now, anyway, by force-quitting iTunes, then relaunching. I tried this many times about an hour ago and it didn't change anything, so god knows why it's just worked again now.

I can't wait for the new update, whenever it comes. I love my iPhone, but it's far from perfect. I have a lot of random Safari crashes, and performance is sluggish a lot of the time - SMS delays when opening, as does Calendar, and others. I'd just like it to be snappier!
Old Dec 28, 2007, 06:09 PM   #4
alFR
macrumors 68000

I've been seeing this problem too, since installing the updated version of the latest security update for 10.4.11. The iPhone does sync, but it sits at "Syncing iPhone" for a few minutes before it starts to sync the contacts etc. I'm assuming that it's something to do with the security update: did your problems start after you installed that?
alFR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2007, 06:16 PM   #5
MarkW19
macrumors 65816

I haven't actually installed the security update yet, just 10.5.1
Old Dec 28, 2007, 06:19 PM   #6
alFR
macrumors 68000

Update - postings on the Apple support forum indicate that this may be a problem at Apple's end with one of the servers that iTunes tries to contact during the sync process. Try syncing without an internet connection and see if it works - I'm currently in an airport on WiFi and don't want to log out for now, so can't try this but will later on.
alFR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2007, 06:21 PM   #7
MarkW19
macrumors 65816

Ahh that makes sense, and is good news if it's right!

I've got it working now after force-quitting iTunes for the 10th time and it finally working, but if it happens again, I'll turn off my net connection.

Good work!
Old Dec 28, 2007, 06:23 PM   #8
chrisblore
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alFR View Post
Update - postings on the Apple support forum indicate that this may be a problem at Apple's end with one of the servers that iTunes tries to contact during the sync process. Try syncing without an internet connection and see if it works - I'm currently in an airport on WiFi and don't want to log out for now, so can't try this but will later on.
I can confirm that this is the work-around for the issue at the moment. Not great by any means, but sufficient until decide to get their butts in gear and fix it.

Cheers
chrisblore is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2007, 12:51 AM   #9
rasskull
macrumors newbie

Yep, this totally worked for me. woohooo
rasskull is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2007, 06:47 AM   #10
nsheikh80
macrumors regular

Also, you can quit the “MDCrashReportToo” process in Activity Monitor once the iPhone is connected.

More solutions can be found here: http://www.iphoneatlas.com/2007/12/2...e-sync-freeze/
nsheikh80 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2007, 04:36 PM   #11
MarkW19
macrumors 65816

It's just done it again, turning off my internet connection temporarily sorted it. Grr...
Old Dec 30, 2007, 01:51 PM   #12
dmetzcher
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW19 View Post
It's just done it again, turning off my internet connection temporarily sorted it. Grr...
http://discussions.apple.com/thread....218275#6218275
More information can be found at the link above.
We've been talking about this for a few days now and we're all hoping that Apple gets is corrected soon. Until then, the most-reliable way to get iPhone to sync is to disable your Internet connection (Airport or ethernet).

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting