Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Jan 12, 2008, 05:14 PM   #1
jpod89
macrumors member

Cleaning the new iMac glass

I've searched and found a 1-page topic on it, but it wasn't really that great of an explanation.

Can I use glass cleaners like Windex to clean the screen? Any special techniques or tips? Things I should watch out for?

I have a somewhat OCD problem that requires me to keep all my tech gear in the condition it was out-of-the-box for as long as humanly possible =(

Thanks ahead of time!
Old Jan 12, 2008, 07:49 PM   #2
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

I use Windex on normal LCDs and haven't ever had any issues. I imagine it'll be absolutely fine on the glass iMac screens too. I spray the Windex onto a cloth rather than directly onto the screen, though.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 08:19 PM   #3
SaSaSushi
macrumors 68030

Well, since the manual for my iMac specifically says to dampen the cloth that came with it (or a clean, soft, lint-free cloth) with "water only" that's exactly what I do. It cleans it perfectly. Yes, the display is glass so I don't see how a glass cleaner might damage it in any way so long as you don't spray directly on the display.

For me personally, since water only does the trick and that's what Apple recommends I am not going to use anything else.
SaSaSushi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2008, 08:22 PM   #4
SaSaSushi
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad jew View Post
I use Windex on normal LCDs and haven't ever had any issues.
I can definitely recommend against this practice. Windex contains ammonia which can wreak major havoc long term on LCDs.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 09:16 PM   #5
Theatrics
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to Theatrics
I have the same OCD... I was wondering about windex as well. I've stuck to wet cloth so far though.
Theatrics is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2008, 12:00 AM   #6
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 603

You're all wrong. You're supposed to clean the screen with the mouse pad that came with it.
JayLenochiniMac is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2008, 12:02 AM   #7
phungy
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLenochiniMac View Post
You're all wrong. You're supposed to clean the screen with the mouse pad that came with it.
Haha, great answer.

I use The Ultimate Cloth. I don't have an iMac but I use it to clean the invisible skin and screen protector on the Macbook. Works awesome. You can request a free sample too. Oh and I don't use any sort of cleaner
Old Jan 13, 2008, 12:03 AM   #8
WildPalms
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaSaSushi View Post
I can definitely recommend against this practice. Windex contains ammonia which can wreak major havoc long term on LCDs.
Absolutely and a mild tint on the screen can be permanently damaged.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 02:58 AM   #9
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaSaSushi View Post

I've heard that said many times but have never noticed any long term effect from years of doing it. Maybe I'm just lucky.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 04:36 AM   #10
brop52
macrumors 68000

It's glass. The LCD is beneath the glass. What's the difference. Clean it how you want just don't get water under like I did with tap water and the microfiber cloth given with the computer. (Not sure how it happened but I bought some Air Dusters, Suction Cups, and a Monster ScreenClean Display Cleaning Kit.

I should get them around Tuesday to clean the residue dried minerals on the inside of the glass at the very top. The duster is so I don't go crazy by having some dust under the glass.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 04:43 AM   #11
JohanCruyff
macrumors member

Same problem here.
I can't put it in my 24" Alu iMac in my washing machine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LAVATRICE%20REX%20RWN%2012480W.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	97665  
JohanCruyff is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2008, 05:15 AM   #12
g-7
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohanCruyff View Post
Same problem here.
I can't put it in my 24" Alu iMac in my washing machine.
You have to upgrade your washing machine to an Apple-certified model.
g-7 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2008, 06:14 AM   #13
JohanCruyff
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-7 View Post
You have to upgrade your washing machine to an Apple-certified model.
My next model will be this one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	machine.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	97667  
JohanCruyff is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2008, 12:50 PM   #14
Gunga Din
macrumors 6502

I think i've read windex can cause problems if your glass has anit-glare or reflective stuff on it.

Your suppose to use a damp lint free cloth. No paper towels because they can scratch glass.
Gunga Din is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2008, 01:07 PM   #15
Chris204
macrumors regular

From what I've heard, Windex leaves smudges and causes a light haze on the screen. I picked up some LCD cleaner at Staples for $9.99.

I also can't stress enough to people NOT to use cotton towels to wipe their screens. Just like on a car's clearcoat, cotton leaves thousands of little hairline scratches. I only use microfibre cloths.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 01:53 PM   #16
overcast
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad jew View Post
I use Windex on normal LCDs and haven't ever had any issues. I imagine it'll be absolutely fine on the glass iMac screens too. I spray the Windex onto a cloth rather than directly onto the screen, though.
Oh good god. NO ONE TAKE THIS ADVICE. USE A LIGHTLY DAMP MICROFIBER CLOTH, THAT IS IT. The things come with a microfiber for a reason, and no it's not a mousepad.
overcast is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2008, 01:55 PM   #17
overcast
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunga Din View Post
I think i've read windex can cause problems if your glass has anit-glare or reflective stuff on it.

Your suppose to use a damp lint free cloth. No paper towels because they can scratch glass.
Paper is not going to scratch glass. How often do you put newspaper/magazines on a glass coffee table. Use your brain.
overcast is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2008, 02:05 PM   #18
Gunga Din
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by overcast View Post
Paper is not going to scratch glass. How often do you put newspaper/magazines on a glass coffee table. Use your brain.
Micro Scratches. Do the research using your brain !
Gunga Din is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2008, 04:12 PM   #19
brop52
macrumors 68000

For the first time since my iMac was new it is now clean thanks to the Monster ScreenClean.

It is alcohol free, so I don't see what anyone is worrying about. The best part is the large microfiber cloth they give you to use. Great reviews on amazon.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 06:16 PM   #20
Mac.
macrumors 6502

I just use water

Mac. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2008, 10:16 PM   #21
brop52
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac. View Post
I just use water
It has to be deionized though. Otherwise you end up like me.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 10:09 PM   #22
bluedoggiant
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to bluedoggiant
Boo!

I give  a -100 on this one.

So I took my  cloth to the bathroom, and dampened it with the water from the sink. Went back into my bedroom, and wiped my screen with the DAMP  cloth. It left water droplets ALL OVER THE GLASS!!! How annoying.

So I wiped it with my shirt, dried up the  cloth, and spent 15 minutes, scratching the screen with the  cloth to get the water droplet marks (I already dried it with my shirt) off of it. All is well until...

I have a light next to my imac, shines right onto the screen, I don't notice the glare, but when i turn off the imac display, there are smudges ALL OVER IT. and the light is shining right on the smudges. I spent countless hours trying to get the smudges of with the  cloth, didn't work. Whenever I though i was successful, If I look at the imac screen from a different view, the smudges appear again, they are there no matter what, they won't come off. And they are visible when the display is switched off, when the imac looks the sexiest

Any thoughts?

Haswell MacBook Pro 15" - 16GB - 2.3GHz - 512GB - dGPU
Mid-2007 iMac 24" - 4GB - 2.8GHz - .5TB
Gold 64GB iPhone 5s
bluedoggiant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2008, 10:57 PM   #23
camarobh
macrumors 6502

I use Monster ScreenClean and the MicroFiber cloth that it came with. Works on all my electronic devices with screens.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 01:00 AM   #24
brop52
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedoggiant View Post

So I took my  cloth to the bathroom, and dampened it with the water from the sink. Went back into my bedroom, and wiped my screen with the DAMP  cloth. It left water droplets ALL OVER THE GLASS!!! How annoying.

So I wiped it with my shirt, dried up the  cloth, and spent 15 minutes, scratching the screen with the  cloth to get the water droplet marks (I already dried it with my shirt) off of it. All is well until...

I have a light next to my imac, shines right onto the screen, I don't notice the glare, but when i turn off the imac display, there are smudges ALL OVER IT. and the light is shining right on the smudges. I spent countless hours trying to get the smudges of with the  cloth, didn't work. Whenever I though i was successful, If I look at the imac screen from a different view, the smudges appear again, they are there no matter what, they won't come off. And they are visible when the display is switched off, when the imac looks the sexiest

Any thoughts?
Minerals give you a dried residue. You need to use deionized/distilled water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarobh View Post
I use Monster ScreenClean and the MicroFiber cloth that it came with. Works on all my electronic devices with screens.
The cloth they give you is terrible. It gives you hundreds of little fibers all over the screen. The cleaner itself is good though.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 01:02 AM   #25
SaSaSushi
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedoggiant View Post

You obviously put too much water. There should not be enough to leave drops, thus "dampen" is the idea.

Quote:
Mistake number 2 (and the biggest one): You should never wipe the glass with anything other than the microfiber cloth. That is how you end up with streaks and, depending on the material of what you are using to wipe, even scratches on the glass surface.

You should have dried the microfiber cloth sufficiently so that it could be used for the drying.

I apply a very small amount of water to one corner of the Apple cloth and then gently wipe the screen with it. Then I immediately clean the screen with the dry parts.

Quote:

Any thoughts?
I have one but I don't think you are going to like it.

It sounds to me like your shirt has scratched the glass panel. I was going to suggest you repeat the cleaning process as I outlined above and that should have done the job. That the "smudges" persist is not heartening.

Maybe you should take it by an Apple Store. Even if you crack a 24" glass panel they aren't as expensive as one might think. Someone in another thread who had his glass panel replaced recently in a London Apple Store mentioned that it only cost him $36:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...3&postcount=23

If it is just smudges and not anything physically wrong with the panel you should be able to clean it with just water and the microfiber. You didn't use anything other than water, right?? No Windex, etc

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac