Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Old Jan 16, 2008, 11:59 AM   #1
cvzyl
macrumors newbie

Run Mac mini without keyboard & mouse

I have set up my Intel Mac Mini in the living room to act as an "Apple TV" but every time I start it up it complains that there is no keyboard and mouse connected. I then have to attach a keyboard and mouse before it will continue booting.

Is there a way to disable keyboard and mouse completely? I will either control it remotely or use the remote control for Front Row.

Cobus
cvzyl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2008, 02:11 PM   #2
cvzyl
macrumors newbie

For anybody interested, found the answer to this problem on a site.

When OS X starts up and finds no USB keyboard and mouse it goes into a search for a Bluetooth device. This is actually the bugging screen where I got stuck. Disabling this "search if normal keyboard/mouse not found" under the advanced options of Bluetooth settings (system prefs) stops this annoying behavior and you can happily boot your mac without any keyboard or mouse attached.

Cobus
cvzyl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2008, 06:23 PM   #3
ray648
macrumors regular

Thanks for posting that find. I've been looking to get a mac mini soon for exactly the same use, so you've saved me the hassle of trying to find the solution myself.
ray648 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2008, 10:27 PM   #4
badtzmaru
macrumors 6502

I couldn't find this option. are you using leopard?
badtzmaru is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2010, 12:44 PM   #5
Ezra1107
macrumors newbie

Thumbs up Thank You!

Thanks for posting this tip! I'm using my Mac Mini for the same reason, I think it is a much better solution than the Apple TV and it solves the Hulu problem.
Ezra1107 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2010, 01:08 PM   #6
mrklaw
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by badtzmaru View Post
I couldn't find this option. are you using leopard?
same here. I have one that says 'open bluetooth setup assistant at startup when no input device is present' is that it?

I do use a bluetooth keyboard/mouse occasionally so I wouldn't want that to stop them working.

I found that using a 'remote' mouse via ipod touch works too (I use my mini as a HTPC usually, and it often pops this reminder up). Eg jaadu VNC, airmouse or other apps.
mrklaw is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini