Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

View Poll Results: What Do You Think?
Yes, the MacBook Air is the perfect replacement for the 12 inch PowerBook G4 45 38.46%
No, the MacBook Air is not the perfect replacement for the 12 inch PowerBook G4 58 49.57%
I am not sure yet... 14 11.97%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 16, 2008, 05:16 PM   #1
iDAG
macrumors 65816

Is the MBA a Good Replacement for the 12" PB?

Now that there is a new Apple Ultra Portable, will 12 inch PowerBook users upgrade to the MacBook Air?

EDIT: Please explain why you do or don't think it is a good replacement.

Last edited by iDAG; Jan 16, 2008 at 05:30 PM. Reason: I wanted to :)
iDAG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2008, 05:18 PM   #2
notengolegs
macrumors member

Sure, considering that the latest 12" Aluminum PowerBook sold for $1,699 when it came out.
notengolegs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2008, 05:25 PM   #3
bektravels
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDAG View Post
Now that there is a new Apple Ultra Portable, will 12 inch PowerBook users upgrade to the MacBook Air?
It's a no from me. I'd like to upgrade my 12" powerbook, but not to a MBA. Bottom line: The PB suits my needs, MBA doesn't.
bektravels is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2008, 05:25 PM   #4
iDAG
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by bektravels View Post
It's a no from me. I'd like to upgrade my 12" powerbook, but not to a MBA. Bottom line: The PB suits my needs, MBA doesn't.
What don't you like about it?
Old Jan 16, 2008, 05:27 PM   #5
djellison
Banned

It's not ANY sort of replacement for the 12" PB, let alone a good one.

A replacement for the 12"PB should be a 12" MBP. Proper, large HDD, Firewire, Optical Drive, Discreet graphics.

The PB range (and the MBP range) are a productivity tool. The MBA is a lifestyle product.

Doug
djellison is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2008, 05:27 PM   #6
Queso
macrumors 603

Quote:
For me it's the small storage capacity, the unexpandable memory, the lack of FireWire port and that you can't carry two batteries around and swap them when one is depleted. All things the PB12" has.
Queso is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2008, 05:36 PM   #7
marchingant4
macrumors newbie

Its funny that this thread came up, because my 12" pb died a week ago and I was waiting on mwsf to see what to get. Honestly, I like the macbook air and I can see where it fits into the market, but its just not for me. I don't need a computer that THAT thin, the macbook would do fine. I was really holding out for a 13.3" macbook pro with standalone graphics and a >2.0ghz c2d. Oh well, I guess al 12" pb lovers were holding out for a reincarnated verson, and while I don't think the macbook air is a bad computer, I wouldn't choose it to replace my pb.
marchingant4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2008, 05:37 PM   #8
TimJim
macrumors 6502a

I think it is. Similar screen size, same idea when both were launched.

a MB or a MBA are good replacements for a 12" PB
TimJim is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2008, 05:39 PM   #9
taylorwilsdon
macrumors 68000

Hell to the no. Its a good replacement to the clamshell. Form over substance is a big no no.
taylorwilsdon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2008, 05:49 PM   #10
Polish97
macrumors member

People are being greedy...

Everyone wants what they had and more...

...but do you use all that you have?

The key to this ultramobile is the accessories. If you buy the $1800 config, expect to by:

- $20 USB Hub (for the mouse you like, 3G connection, etc)
- $30 ethernet dongle - For speedy intercation with the network at job.
- $250 80GB iPod Classic - For the 45GB of music and videos you have.

It's missing firewire, optical drive, and what 5lbs.

Give specifics to it's short comings to you, and why. There maybe better and cheaper solutions to your problems the MBA might solve.
Polish97 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2008, 06:04 PM   #11
bektravels
macrumors regular

Quote:
It's not that I don't like it. I just don't think it'll suit my day-to-day use as well as my PB still does.

The PB is my secondary computer, but I still need a dvd drive/burner, I need firewire and ideally 2 usb ports. Otherwise the MBA sounds fine (and would be easier to lug around on my push bike).
Old Jan 16, 2008, 06:07 PM   #12
iMpathetic
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to iMpathetic
I'd say to stick with the PB as long as you possibly can. My old language arts teacher had an 867MHz that had a broken hinge, five dents, and one RAM slot broken but still refused to get a new computer. Now that's devotion.

I think that the 4:3 ratio actually makes a computer feel tidier and smaller, IMHO. If that's gonna be your second computer, you'll do fine with it.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 06:10 PM   #13
Ryox
macrumors 6502a

The MBA is not for me. Personally I need a bit more from my note books.
As a replacement, in my opinion its good, but not good enough. I love the light thin design but not so drawn to it because of the lack of power
Ryox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2008, 06:13 PM   #14
CrackedButter
macrumors 68040

The MB is the best replacement for the 12" PB, I had a 12" PB and upgraded from it to a MB.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 06:13 PM   #15
bektravels
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMpathetic View Post
I'd say to stick with the PB as long as you possibly can. My old language arts teacher had an 867MHz that had a broken hinge, five dents, and one RAM slot broken but still refused to get a new computer. Now that's devotion.
I love a beat up powerbook - it adds character... Mine has a nice upward bend on the front/bottom left from when I dropped it from shoulder height. Bet the MBA couldn't take that
Old Jan 16, 2008, 06:32 PM   #16
hakuryuu
macrumors 6502

I say yes, but only for people who don't want it for productivity. If all you need it for is music, the occasional ripped movie, internet(browsing/email), and maybe even some photoshop it is fine. As long as you don't do video editing(firewire is killer here for connecting to cameras and storage) or need constant access to a disc, it would be perfect. But no doubt it is limited compared to an MB or MBP for productivity purposes. I myself may get one for my wife(not any time soon though, she won't allow herself to get a new laptop until her current windows one which is less than a year old dies.. plus I want to get a Mac Pro) who never does anything strenuous or disc based with her laptop.
Mac Pro 3.7GHz | 12GB | D300
hakuryuu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2008, 06:42 PM   #17
HLdan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by notengolegs View Post
Sure, considering that the latest 12" Aluminum PowerBook sold for $1,699 when it came out.
Actually it was $1799, same as the Air.
HLdan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2008, 06:50 PM   #18
HLdan
Banned

Well, I voted that the Air is the perfect replacement of the 12" Powerbook, here's why:

When the 12" Powerbook came out it fit the needs of what was going on or was about to happen in the industry of computing. It was a small form factor for the business class.
It had an option for a Superdrive and burning DVD's was relatively new at the time. It was a pro model in the sense of the aluminum because it was the first full aluminum notebook along with the 17" and it had an option for wireless since wireless was still relatively new.

The Air is the perfect replacement because it fits the needs of what's going on or about to happen in the industry of computing. It's fully wireless, it's sooo wireless that it will even read the optical drive of another computer to install software wirelessly.

It fits the business class very well in terms of size and speed. It's still aluminum. It has an option for a Superdrive, it finally has the backlit keyboard (missing on the 12" PB), it has extensive trackpad touch capabilities and it runs two of the best OS's natively which makes it even better for anyone, it has more ram than the 12" Powerbook could even max out at.
HLdan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2008, 06:53 PM   #19
dentedG4
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bektravels View Post
I love a beat up powerbook - it adds character... Mine has a nice upward bend on the front/bottom left from when I dropped it from shoulder height. Bet the MBA couldn't take that
Mine has the bend on the front right corner I definitely do not think it is a good replacement for my 12 incher. Requisites for this title would have to be dedicated graphics, superdrive and latest processor. Basically, I want a MBP 13 inch ~$1500. That's the sweet spot.
dentedG4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2008, 06:53 PM   #20
meagain
macrumors 68020

iDAG - if you've been here the last 2 days, you should know that your question/poll is moot. That the contingent here would vote down the MBA no matter what you compared it to - be it a pencil, rock, or soda can.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 06:55 PM   #21
Roba
macrumors 6502

I am still hoping for one day for a fully functional 12-13 Pro notebook that would be speced along the lines of the specs that djellison mentioned already.
Roba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2008, 07:08 PM   #22
thejadedmonkey
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to thejadedmonkey
If the MBA had firewire, a 2nd USB port, and ethernet, it would be the PERFECT replacement for the MacBook.

It's lacking almost every port imaginable, however, so it won't work for anyone who just wants a desktop replacement.

If it won't work as a desktop replacement, it'll never work for the pro crowd..

So, that leaves us with the consumerist who's no more advanced then your average tween. My dad, for one, would see it, think it looks wicked cool, never ever know what firewire is.. and get it.

Actually, most people probably would. Heck, I would, if I could afford it.

and then he'd have to get another mac when he finds out he can't use his camcorder with it...

PS4 Custom Windows 8.1 Desktop WP8.1
"Good judgment comes from experience,
experience comes from bad judgment."
- Mulla Nasrudin
thejadedmonkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2008, 07:32 PM   #23
tdhurst
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to tdhurst Send a message via Yahoo to tdhurst Send a message via Skype™ to tdhurst
Opinions

I am a proud owner of a 1.5ghz, 12" powerbook and the MBA is most decidedly NOT a worthy replacement for me.

I use my powerbook as my main (okay, only) machine and replacing it with a macbook air severely reduces the functionality I would have. Part of the reason I've always like Apple laptops is that you get full featured machines in a portable form.

HOWEVER, if I was also an iMac or Mac Pro (or powermac G5) owner, the MBA would most assuredly be my next purchase, as I would have my desktop to rely on.

That being said, the MacBook Air is not a bad machine, it's just a niche machine. It's great at what it does (satisfy a hefty chunk of most computer users' needs in a lightweight, easily transportable case), but nothing more.

Very cool, but I'll be looking more at the MacBooks when it's time to replace my baby.
tdhurst is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2008, 07:34 PM   #24
tdhurst
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to tdhurst Send a message via Yahoo to tdhurst Send a message via Skype™ to tdhurst
Quote:
Originally Posted by djellison View Post
The PB range (and the MBP range) are a productivity tool. The MBA is a lifestyle product.

Doug
Perfectly said here.

I think the Macbook Air is the laptop version of the iPod touch. Has some of the cool, high end features, but sacrifices others.

Looks awesome though.
tdhurst is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2008, 08:04 PM   #25
bc008
macrumors 68000

i would say no.
take that same money and buy a blackbook for a lot less

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air