Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Apple released the Bluetooth Firmware Updater 1.0.2 which provides "updated firmware for DLink modules revision B2 or later, and Apple Bluetooth internal modules on PowerBooks and PowerMacs."

The Bluetooth Firmware Updater 1.0.2 provides improvements in the update installation process, better performance when waking the computer from sleep, and support for additional key commands during startup.

This firmware update will improve connectivity between the computer and the Apple Wireless Keyboard and Mouse. Use this updater for the modules specified above; this updater is unsupported with any other Bluetooth modules.

pb1212580

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2003
just a thought, this wouldn't have anything to do with iPod's possibility of syncing some functionalities via Bluetooth, would it? anyone?

dho

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2003
California
If laptops didnt exist this might push me over the edge and cause me to purchase a wireless keyboard

I think I will just save up my money and buy a laptop instead.

smada

macrumors member
May 7, 2003
well im using an apple wireless bluetooth keyboard and it doesn't show up for me. You have to have internal bluetooth or the d-link adapter. If you have a belkin or some other brand of adapter, this might not show up.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Originally posted by pb1212580
just a thought, this wouldn't have anything to do with iPod's possibility of syncing some functionalities via Bluetooth, would it? anyone?
Slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow. :D

I guess it'd be ok for syncing contacts and whatever, but I'd want it to sync tunes, and Bluetooth would be way slow for that.

Some 802.11 capability would be certainly be welcome though ;)

holo2015

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2003
there's a firmware update that comes with the bt wireless mouse. it's on the cd with the drivers(??) that i didn't bother to install. but i did install the firmware update on my powerbook 12" 1ghz. mouse worked perfectly before and after the update.

not sure if this is the same firmware version or not, i haven't had the software update window come up lately.

blurtigo

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2003
United Kingdom
Just updated my 12" Powerbook and Cube, worked fine. Although make sure bluetooth is turned-on or it can't find the device. The installer hung on me first time on the Powerbook.

Using the new D-Link bluetooth adaptor on the Cube, and this update has made the wireless keyboard & mouse work *alot* better. The mouse-pointer used to be a bit jerky before, and the keyboard would ocasionally 'stick'. Now the pointer is as smooth as using a USB mouse, even with Airport going at the same time.

Very happy :)

anidel

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2003
I did have to install the firmware update found on my apple bt mouse. My 12" 867Mhz powerbook won't work with the mouse without it.
I downloaded this one too and tried to update the firmware of my 12" but it says that it's already up to date.
So I think it's the same update found on the CD-Rom...dunno why it took a while to Apple to put it on-line.

Anidel

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
Note: if you install this firmware it will make it inoperable with any windows system

brettsea

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2003
Melbourne, Australia
Download and tried to install the firmware update on my new 15" AlPB. Updater froze during "Preparing to update device...." state. It's been like that for the last 30 minutes. Contemplating re-boot.

iJed

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2001
West Sussex, UK
Originally posted by MattG
I guess it'd be ok for syncing contacts and whatever, but I'd want it to sync tunes, and Bluetooth would be way slow for that.

It would also be rather cool for streaming audio to other devices (should any devices that support this ever be made.) I think the BT data rate is just about high enough...

anidel

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2003
well if it says "preparing" than it should be safe to reboot it...but, ehm :) who knows...
Check the processes with the "ps xauwwww" command in Terminal. Seek for the updater process and try to figure out what is doing...

Anidel

blurtigo

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2003
United Kingdom
Brettsea, mine hung on the Powerbook at that stage first time as well. Check you have bluetooth turned-on, I didn't, doh! The installer doesn't find the device.

Forced quit it, rebooted and the installer worked fine second attempt.

brettsea

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2003
Melbourne, Australia
Originally posted by brettsea
Download and tried to install the firmware update on my new 15" AlPB. Updater froze during "Preparing to update device...." state. It's been like that for the last 30 minutes. Contemplating re-boot.

Forced re-boot and thankfully Bluetooth still lives. Don't think it would have updated though. Not game to try again.

mxpiazza

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2003
cleveland, oh

You need to make sure the bluetooth IS ON. otherwise, the updater won't work.

brettsea

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2003
Melbourne, Australia
Originally posted by mxpiazza
You need to make sure the bluetooth IS ON. otherwise, the updater won't work.

Bluetooth was definitely on. I was using a Bluetooth mouse to initial the installer (but stopped using it when the installer started because the connection was lost.)

stacked actors

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2003
Does anyone else think its bull that D-Link's DWB-120M doesn't work with the Apple Wireless Mouse or Keyboard? I bought this thing in an Apple Store, it should work with Apple products one would think.

blurtigo

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2003
United Kingdom
If it's found the device correctly and are using a bluetooth mouse or something, it asks you if you want to proceed.

When mine hung the first time it just dropped the connection but didn't pop up the window first.

Stacked, I had the original D-Link bluetooth adaptor and although it works with the keyboard it doesn't find the mouse at all. Guess that's cos the mouse would make most use of the new frequency-hopping thing. This updater also won't update the old adaptor, only the new one.

brettsea

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2003
Melbourne, Australia
Bluetooth was definitely on. I was using a Bluetooth mouse to initial the installer (but stopped using it when the installer started because the connection was lost.)

Went into Bluetooth Preference turned Bluetooth Off then On again and made sure I didn't touch my mouse to regain a connection. Ran updater after this. Worked fine this time. (Thanks for the replies to my original posting guys.)

captain stubing

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2003
north east
I tried to install the firmware and now it is stuck "searching for a device to update". It has been like this for 45 minutes. How do I force the installer to quit (I tried the dock, but no luck)? This is my first post so please be patient. Thanks

srobert

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2002
Originally posted by blurtigo
Using the new D-Link bluetooth adaptor on the Cube, and this update has made the wireless keyboard & mouse work *alot* better.

Hello blurtigo. Just a little question. Does the D-Link adapter fits under the cube or did you have to plug it in another usb port?

Thanks

dukemeiser

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2002
Iowa
Is there something I missed? I keep getting a "The firmware is up to date" message. This isn't the same firmware that came with my mouse (It's 1.0) I definately need to update.
Anyone else getting this? I'm running Mac OS X 10.2.8, with an Apple Wireless Mouse, and a D-Link DBT-120 rev. B3 adapter. I don't see why it shouldn't update. Anyone????

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Hmm, I wonder...

... if this affects me at all. I've been using a Microsoft bluetooth mouse with my new Al PB. I'd hate to apply it and find I can't use my mouse anymore!

I picked the MS mouse mainly because of the scroll wheel. I didn't used to see the point of them - then I tried a mouse that had one. :)

pcmankey

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2003
Middle California
Re: Hmm, I wonder...

Originally posted by Westside guy
... if this affects me at all. I've been using a Microsoft bluetooth mouse with my new Al PB. I'd hate to apply it and find I can't use my mouse anymore!

I picked the MS mouse mainly because of the scroll wheel. I didn't used to see the point of them - then I tried a mouse that had one. :)

What mouse are you using? And do all the functions work? I also have a new Al PB and would like to get a BT mouse that is not a cyclops. I read the Apple warning about doing Frimware update and it states that you will not be able to use Windows products if you do it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.