Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Re: Re: Hmm, I wonder...

Originally posted by pcmankey
What mouse are you using? And do all the functions work? I also have a new Al PB and would like to get a BT mouse that is not a cyclops. I read the Apple warning about doing Frimware update and it states that you will not be able to use Windows products if you do it.

I think there are only two or three BT mice out there... the Apple one of course; Logitech's Presenter (not really a mouse); and Microsoft's "Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer for Bluetooth". The latter is the one I have. It's a trifle bigger than I'd like, but otherwise I'm really pleased with it.

I guess that's what I'm wondering - does a MS mouse count as a "Windows product"???

Oh, almost forgot the other part of your question. Left-click and right-click work, as does the scrollwheel. There are two extra side buttons that I haven't even tried to set up. Right-click seems to be mapping to control+left-click by default, which works great.

jorisx

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2002
europ
Don't use this update with other bt-dongels then the listed ones, I had to learn it the hard way, it f***up mine ... had to get a new one today ... bummer..

blurtigo

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2003
United Kingdom
Originally posted by srobert
Hello blurtigo. Just a little question. Does the D-Link adapter fits under the cube or did you have to plug it in another usb port?

Thanks

I have it plugged into a hub, but it would fit under the Cube if you have a USB port free.

srobert

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2002
Originally posted by blurtigo
I have it plugged into a hub, but it would fit under the Cube if you have a USB port free.

Thanks for the reply.

I intend to retire my cube as a "couch-Potato-A/V-Unit". I will plug it to my TV through a VGA converter and components cable. No other dislay. I will wire the sound through the iMic and Audio Line it on TV. I will sit it on a shelf next to my TV. I want to control it via bluetooth because my TV is kinda far from my couch. I only need the two USB port on the bottom (1 for sound, 1 for bluetooth)

No matter how old my cube will get, I could never give it, sell it or throw it away. It's too beautifull.

When it get's too old to serve as my A/V unit and TV internet surfing thingy, I'll convert it into a Juke box using Apple Remote Desktop.

srobert

blurtigo

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2003
United Kingdom
Cool, that's pretty much what my Cube is doing now. Holds all my music, and have it running through the TV with wireless keyboard/mouse. Replaced the standard USB amp you get with the Cube with an Edirol sampler to get optical digital out as well. That goes straight into my A/V amp.

I'd never get rid of my Cube either. Beautiful bit of design. Hope it does come back as an anniversary model sometime. An aluminium G5 Cube would be quite funky... ;)

srobert

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2002
Originally posted by blurtigo
Cool, that's pretty much what my Cube is doing now. Holds all my music, and have it running through the TV with wireless keyboard/mouse. Replaced the standard USB amp you get with the Cube with an Edirol sampler to get optical digital out as well. That goes straight into my A/V amp.

I'd never get rid of my Cube either. Beautiful bit of design. Hope it does come back as an anniversary model sometime. An aluminium G5 Cube would be quite funky... ;)

Nice! could you provide me with a link for that that Edirol Sampler? Is it hooked into one of your USB port or Firewire?

I hear you my friend. I would also love top see a headless G5 (aluminum Cube). When the G5 tower came out, I sketched a G5 cube. You can see what it looks like here: G5 AlCube

blurtigo

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2003
United Kingdom
They are USB, so it's as easy as unplugging the Apple amp that comes with the Cube and plugging in the Edirol one. This is the one I've got:

http://www.edirol.com/products/info/ua20.html

24-bit sampler/midi-interface with digital optical out, and a nice blue LED :) Use it to sample vinyl, and had some excellent results.

There's also this 16-bit sampler as well:

http://www.edirol.com/products/info/ua1x.html

Much prefer having digital sound rather than running it into the amp from the headphone jack.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.