Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Jan 21, 2008, 09:59 PM   #1
mwp98223
macrumors 6502

using a component video switch

Does anyone have success and/or tips on using a component video switch?

I have a tv with only one HD component video port and two that play 480p. The tv is "ancient" with no HDMI ports. I have my DTV/cable box connected to the HD component input. I want to use a switcher to put both the DTV and AppleTV into the switch and that input into the HDport on the tv. I just purchased a Philips Component video switcher that is supposed to "auto" switch depending on the unit sending a signal.

I can get both units to play on tv in 1080i. But I can't get the unit to auto switch. I'm suspecting the unit, but thought there might be others trying this with AppleTV that would have advise for me.
mwp98223 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2008, 10:54 PM   #2
gkarris
macrumors 604

I got the Pelican one from Gamestop for $79 way back that only has manual switching. I decided to forgo the complexity of auto-switching or one with a remote.

I would make sure your TV, if in sleep mode, switches when it wakes...
Old Jan 22, 2008, 12:22 AM   #3
natasha69
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwp98223 View Post
Does anyone have success and/or tips on using a component video switch?

I have a tv with only one HD component video port and two that play 480p. The tv is "ancient" with no HDMI ports. I have my DTV/cable box connected to the HD component input. I want to use a switcher to put both the DTV and AppleTV into the switch and that input into the HDport on the tv. I just purchased a Philips Component video switcher that is supposed to "auto" switch depending on the unit sending a signal.

I can get both units to play on tv in 1080i. But I can't get the unit to auto switch. I'm suspecting the unit, but thought there might be others trying this with AppleTV that would have advise for me.
the one from audio authority works very well. it auto switches and is flawless. i'm now working with HDMI and i wish they made one that was as simple as that.

PM me if you want to buy my used one. i'm going to stick it on ebay otherwise. check www.avsforum.com for unbiased recommendations.
natasha69 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2008, 08:02 AM   #4
mwp98223
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by natasha69 View Post
the one from audio authority works very well. it auto switches and is flawless. i'm now working with HDMI and i wish they made one that was as simple as that.

PM me if you want to buy my used one. i'm going to stick it on ebay otherwise. check www.avsforum.com for unbiased recommendations.
What model is that? I might be interested. I'm taking the Philips back to Best Buy.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 08:03 AM   #5
mwp98223
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkarris View Post
I got the Pelican one from Gamestop for $79 way back that only has manual switching. I decided to forgo the complexity of auto-switching or one with a remote.

I would make sure your TV, if in sleep mode, switches when it wakes...
That could be, how to I check sleep mode?

I think this may not be it, because it wouldn't switch from AppleTV to the cable box when I turned it on and appleTV off.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater