Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Jan 22, 2008, 06:38 PM   #1
zechmann
macrumors member

Reading Pages File on Windows

How do you read a pages file on windows? also, how do you print a pages file in windows... thanks!
zechmann is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2008, 09:58 PM   #2
PeggyD
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by zechmann View Post
How do you read a pages file on windows? also, how do you print a pages file in windows... thanks!
Pages files (actually packages) can only be read on a Mac with Pages. To send the files to a Windows user, export as Word or PDF.
PeggyD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2010, 11:08 PM   #3
lucifiel
macrumors 6502a

This is a 2 year old thread, and I'm aware of this, but for those who might stumble upon this, it is actually possible to print and read .pages files in Windows, or on a OS X (if one does not have pages).

The internet was most helpful, and I discovered this page:http://blog.cleverly.com/permalinks/346.html.

Essentially, the .pages is the same as a zip file, so if one renames the file from "XX.pages" to "XX.zip" in Windows, then one will be able to see the contents of the file.

There will be 3 files generally: 1) QuickLook (which is a folder); 2) a .plist and 3) index.xml (or some xml file.

If you want to read or print the pages file (i do not know how to edit it) you can open the QuickLook folder and inside should be a file called Preview.pdf. This you can open in windows, and print/read.

I hope this helps people in future.
Old May 31, 2011, 09:29 PM   #4
psuomega
macrumors newbie

Still works

I registered for the forum just to give a thumbs up! It's great that on a old thread, there's still valuable and relevant information. Thanks for the tip. I recently received a Pages file from my grandmother. It was much easier to get the information I needed from the PDF file than walking her through saving it in a different format.
psuomega is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2011, 07:47 PM   #5
psuomega
macrumors newbie

Even Easier

I stumbled across an even easier way to view the contents (but not edit) and print a .pages file. Simply email it to yourself on your GMail account. Google Docs is able to read .pages files! You can even print it directly from Google Docs. Hope this helps someone else.
psuomega is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help