Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scator87m

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Ok so here it goes...

I have a Powerbook G4 15" which I've had since they were first released. The only thing I've changed was updating the Ram to 1 gig, and am still running OS X.

As of about six months ago my Powerbook would randomly put itself into sleep mode, weather it be while I was working or while I was away from the computer. Sometimes I coulkd wake it up, but lately it will not awake from hibernation and I have to remove the battery and wait for it to shut off before I can restart it.

I have tried some simple fixes, inlcuding changing every sleep and hibernation option, re-installing OS X, and even running the Powerbook in safe mode for a while. Sometimes the probem won't occur for weeks, then it will occur everyday for days in a row.

I have no idea whats going on, any ideas?

Thanks

scator87m

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Thanks for the guide.

I'll try it tonight and hopefully it'll work, sounds like it should.

mymacpb

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
Hi,
I have the exact same problem. My Powerbook G4 (1,67Ghz), is going to sleep randomly and for no reason. Sometimes I even have trouble waking it again.

I already tried the enerysaver, re-installing OS X, resetting PRAM, NVRAM and PMU. None of these have solved the problem :-(!

Does anybody have any further solutions???????

agentphish

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2004
It could also be a BAD pmu as well... which is a tough repair to do yourself unless you're pretty comfortable tinkering inside a laptop like a powerbook from what I have gathered.

I thought I had a bad one and looked into it but it turned out to be something else.

The part is like 70-100 bucks or something. Research it on google.

mymacpb

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
Hi there,
thanks for your help. I was just given the advice to check my heat sensors and discpvered that its registereing 206°C on the trackpad temperature :-((((!
Is there anyway to disable this sensor? or any other way to avoid an expensive repair by apple itself?
thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.