Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twilightpress20

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2008
Dropped my iPhone into the toilet bowl today. WTF! Slipped out of me hand and down it went into the tasty bowl...........Hmmmm! Phone immediately shut down and was non responsive. Got a little response when I plugged it into itunes about 7 hours later. Tried to restore but failed. It only sat in the water for 2 seconds and the phone had on the ArtWizz case.

Any advise on what to do now. It's a brand new 1.1.3 software phone thats been active for only two weeks.

What do I do and how do I reset it? Please any advice.

I never thought it would happen to me. This could be anyone of us at anytime. I surely said to myself that I wouldn't let this ever happen. Well.................It did!!!!!!

Thanks guys!!!!:(:(:(:(

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
Keep it turned off, and let it dry out for longer...and keep your fingers crossed...

Some people swear by putting the phone into a sealed container (like a zip lock bag or tupperware container) filled with rice. The rice will help absorb the water from inside, and after a few days, you can try again.

In theory if you let it get dried out enough, you might get lucky.

Oh, and there is an indicator in the headset jack that turns pink and that will tell Apple that it got wet if you take it in to the Apple store...

That said, it maybe worth taking it in and seeing what they say. I'm pretty sure there is a flat rate cost for fixing damaged phones - something like $249 (ouch)...

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2007
If the battery wasn't "fixed" in place on the phone, you would have a greater chance of survival, but since it is, all you can do is pray.

ikare

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2008
Canton, Mi.
Sorry to give you bad news, but my friend dropped hers in the toilet and pulled it out right away, she had to get a new iphone....hope you have better luck :(

taylor200588

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2007
Arbroath, Scotland
i would take it back to apple and just say your phone started doing it and not mention dropping it in the bog

i had an iPod touch and tried to jailbreak it and it screwed up and it totally crashed and wouldnt go back on, so i took it back into HMV and was like "ERRRM it just wont go onnnn duuuuuuuh"

and they gave me a new one

MUHAHAHAHA

hope you get it fixed

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
i would take it back to apple and just say your phone started doing it and not mention dropping it in the bog

i had an iPod touch and tried to jailbreak it and it screwed up and it totally crashed and wouldnt go back on, so i took it back into HMV and was like "ERRRM it just wont go onnnn duuuuuuuh"

and they gave me a new one

MUHAHAHAHA

hope you get it fixed

This can backfire in the iPhone's case not sure about the touch. Basically the iPhone has an indicator in the headphone jack that indicate when the phone has been dropped in fluid. A circular ring-type-thingy in the jack turns from white to pink. Its also found in RAZRs i think.

If a well trained/inform tech support assistant notices this then you're SOL

bjett92

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
Indy, IN
This can backfire in the iPhone's case not sure about the touch. Basically the iPhone has an indicator in the headphone jack that indicate when the phone has been dropped in fluid. A circular ring-type-thingy in the jack turns from white to pink. Its also found in RAZRs i think.

If a well trained/inform tech support assistant notices this then you're SOL

Those are usually found in almost any cell phone. I know when mine went with me into a hot tub (MotoSLVR), I took it to a cell phone repair place, and they offered to clean everything, but said the stickers would remain pink. Unfortunately after having them clean it, it still didn't work right and I had to buy a new phone.

twilightpress20

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2008
So basically I'm screwed....................???????? I can't believe that this has happened. I was the one who said that I would never be so careless with this thing.

Oh well, so much for that thought. I'm trying the concealed rice container thing now. I'm going to let it set for a day or so to dry out. If it doesn't fix work, then I will try to take it to apple and see what they say.

Any other suggestions here would be appreciated gracefully.

:(:confused::mad:

rmcneill

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2008
Fountain Hills, Az
hahah..no I am not really laughing --Iphone and water

I have to agree with the post about letting it dry. My son's ipod went to washer and dryer and i let it dry out and it worked fine. I am laughing because as I was on the phone this morning and talking on phone and looked down and had this very instance flash in front of me...

Spizzo

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2004
Pacific NW
Kind of off topic, but does AT&T offer insurance on the iphone for an extra little bit each month? I know I have it on my cell phone with verizon, but it's not a 'smart' phone. And I've used the insurance more than once. Last time was when my phone went for a dip in the lake.

I hope the rice works and your phone comes back to life!! :(

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
At this junction...I will bring to your attention that Apple Store will pay you $150 for your damaged phone toward the purchase of another.

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
This is a perfect example of why NOT to use your phone whilst on the toilet. You can save yourself a lot of misery by just ignoring the addiction for those precious few minutes.

CD3660

macrumors 603
Jun 6, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48a Safari/419.3)

twilightpress20 said:
So basically I'm screwed....................???????? I can't believe that this has happened. I was the one who said that I would never be so careless with this thing.

Oh well, so much for that thought. I'm trying the concealed rice container thing now. I'm going to let it set for a day or so to dry out. If it doesn't fix work, then I will try to take it to apple and see what they say.

Any other suggestions here would be appreciated gracefully.

:(:confused::mad:

Let us know how you get on.

flyboym535i

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2008
This is the solution!

The solution is to stop yapping when you're pissing and put the phone in your pocket if you're pulling out the monster.

Everytime I hear of someone dropping their phone in a toilet, I wonder what, if anything at all, they were thinking.

Luis

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
Costa Rica
This happened to my dad and the iPhone is alive, so you have hope.

Do you happen to have an air de-humidifier (or however it is called)? If so, your best chance is to put it together with the iPhone in a small room and leave it in full power for the whole night. Also try to get some compressed air, and blow it in all the spaces of your phone. With some luck, it should survive.

brinycbri

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2007
i would try the following:

1) Does applecare insure this kind of stuff? If so, just buy it now, and say it was dropped after you bought it.

2) if you bought it using your credit card, perhaps they have something that can help you. For instance, American Express has a stolen or broken for 2 weeks and they refund you the whole amount. THey also insure that you can return it or have warranty.

3) Lastly, just try to get apple to give you a new one

Luis

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
Costa Rica
i would try the following:

1) Does applecare insure this kind of stuff? If so, just buy it now, and say it was dropped after you bought it.

2) if you bought it using your credit card, perhaps they have something that can help you. For instance, American Express has a stolen or broken for 2 weeks and they refund you the whole amount. THey also insure that you can return it or have warranty.

3) Lastly, just try to get apple to give you a new one

#1 won't work. The headphone jack has a water sensitive film which will turn red once water touches it.

bjett92

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
Indy, IN
Supposedly, the water-sensitive things in phones can sometimes change colors with high humidity where there is a lot of water vapor. You could always try that.

millap

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2007
United Kingdom
If this happens to anyone else in the future, and you opt to try and dry it out, I would recommend a couple of things before you begin.

1. Take the phone apart.

2. Disconnect the battery.

3. Buy a bottle of deionised water from a garage and rinse the phone in this first. You need to wash away any contaminants that might cause corrosion and lead to possible problems in the future.

4. Allow to dry naturally for 3-4 days. NEVER apply direct heat to try and speed things up.

I have done this myself a few times on various phones (but not an iPhone) and have had success every time.

FunkyJunk

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2007
Leesburg, VA, USA
Try this at your own risk...

I read somewhere recently that submerging the phone in alcohol (the medicinal kind) helps to remove the water from the phone, and that once you take it out and let the alcohol dry, the phone will have all moisture removed from it. Supposedly samed someone's iPhone this way.

Again, try at your own risk though. This is heresay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.