Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Khurram

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
Just read this over on digg and downloaded the webkit build...holy **** this browswer flies!!!
I've been a devout firefox user forever but this is some serious speed.

i'm linking the article here and the direct download is within that article..just try it out and check out the load times, scrolling speed, and just overall snappiness!
The perfect companion to my MBA!!
please post your opinions if you try it out

link
http://blogs.computerworld.com/safar...get_crazy_fast

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
I like using the nightlies have been doing so for quite a long time now.

I use NightShift to download and install it automatically everynight. I use Lingon to launch Nightshift at a specified time.

There are nightlies of FF which apparently are fast also.

thesdx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2007
I saw the article on 9to5mac and decided to check it out. It's extremely fast! If you want to see some real specs on how fast it is, open up the new WebKit and Safari 3, and run the Slickspeed tests. Firefox comes in at 344, Safari at 155, and Webkit at 118. Pretty fast. :D

Khurram

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
So would you recommend Nightshift?
also are you using the FF version or the safari version right now..any comparisons in the two browswers that you could share?
I like using the nightlies have been doing so for quite a long time now.

I use NightShift to download and install it automatically everynight. I use Lingon to launch Nightshift at a specified time.

There are nightlies of FF which apparently are fast also.

Khurram

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
So being new to nightlies -
do they basically update the software on a nightly basis?
It seems that the firefox version is called firefix?

Aside from the amazing load times the other thing that I love is how fast the scrolling on webpages is! On firefox it was quite slow but on this webkit it flows like butter!

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
So would you recommend Nightshift?
also are you using the FF version or the safari version right now..any comparisons in the two browswers that you could share?

Well yes I would recommend it as it means I have an up to date nightly served up to me everynight.

Firefox - (Minefield) 3.0b4pre

It looks so much nicer than previous versions of Firefox and is definitely quicker however it doesn't play nice with Little Snitch so it annoys me. As such I haven't done much playing/using. It is a good update to firefox as far as I can see and does have more features than Safari. However these features aren't that compelling for me and I just love Safari (webkit).

The font that Firefox uses in this version doesn't seem to work well and I can't seem to get it to change, but then again it is a beta release so oddities are expected.

So being new to nightlies -
do they basically update the software on a nightly basis?
It seems that the firefox version is called firefix?

Aside from the amazing load times the other thing that I love is how fast the scrolling on webpages is! On firefox it was quite slow but on this webkit it flows like butter!

As the name suggests the are the nightly builds of the program and represent the work carried out that day on the project. Some times there is no update in a day or two but we can't expect them to work 7 days a week.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Thanks for the info..
just installed nightshift

With one of the releases of Nightshift there was an error with the location of the nightly that stopped it working correctly. The correct address is Preferences - Nightly Build URL - http://nightly.webkit.org/builds/latest/mac

You have to remember to run it every night by default. As I previously stated I use Lingon to schedule Nightshift to run everynight at a specific time. While a useful tool just be careful that you don't mess with anything else.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
javascript speed improvement is indeed very significant, which has been documented in webkit's blog for a while.

again, webkit probably moved lot of stuff to OSX native, which makes me wonder if the same javascript performance enhancement will be seen in konqueror.

two points.
1. reading from cache in safari/webkit still slow, why?
2. all above mentioned are javscript speeds, javascript, altho become more important recently, is only part of the webpage.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
two points.
1. reading from cache in safari/webkit still slow, why?
2. all above mentioned are javscript speeds, javascript, altho become more important recently, is only part of the webpage.

1. It is not slow for me, actually just testing it some more it is silly fast.

iarejedi

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2007
Does installing webkit also update safari itself, or do i have to use webkit itself to see the changes. Cause I sort of feel safari is a bit faster now.

Sorry if this is a dumb question but oh well..

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Safari 3.1 to Bring Performance Boosts ("Snappier")

Computerworld notes that the latest Webkit nightly builds offer considerable performance boosts over the current public Safari build (3.0.4) -- with Javascript benchmarks over 2.5x faster in some instances.

While these performace boosts in Webkit date to at least November 2007, Weintraub speculates that the optimizations will find its way into the just-beta'd Safari 3.1.

Indeed, we've managed to track down Sunspider Javascript benchmark results from the same build that Weintraub used (r30090) vs Safari 3.1 (Beta) on a Core 2 Duo 2.2GHz. The results:

Shorter times are faster.

Webkit Build r30090: 3495.8ms
Safari 3.1 Beta: 3408.0ms
Safari 3.0.4: 9302.3ms (extrapolated)

Webkit is an open source project that serves as the basis for Apple's Safari browser. Webkit's nightly builds offer end-users access to the latest (potentially unstable) Webkit updates. A number of other browsers also use Webkit and will also benefit from these improvements.

Article Link

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Definitely snappier!! Thanks Steve! :D

I've always thought it was a heavy browser compared to Firefox and Opera. Syncing iPhone bookmarks through Safari made me switch back.

Mindfield

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2003
I don't care about speed. I only care that they could make Safari more reliable. I ain't using it, because it keeps crashin'.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I suppose we'll need to temporarily suspend our rule against "Safari seems snappier" quotes post-update for this one. :D

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA
I posted the link above but you can get them from here and read about it here

edit:

webkit is basically Safari but it is the name that is given to the development project.

So, does each WebKit build eventually evolve into the next version/update of Safari?

seclusion

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2007
In the voice of our good friend Homer..

Ggrrrllll AHhhh, Snnnnnaaaappppiiiieerrr ahhhhhggggggrrrll.

cyberjunky

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2008
i thought webkit was just the rendering engine for W3C standard formats, and safari would extend the functionality into a UI. Maybe im wrong...

I thought there were other browsers built on top of WebKit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.