Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brad.c

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2004
50.813669°, -2.474796°
Does that mean it'll be even "snappier" when 10.5.2 ships?

Snort.

Okay, I'm using it now. Would I need to go to a java-intensive site to see a noticeable performance improvement?

djgamble

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006

ksgant

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
Chicago
How about they actually DO something with Google...since they announced all this buddy-buddy stuff like a year ago with someone from Google coming out on stage and talking up how they're friends.

What I'm getting at is having something like Google Tool-bar built into Safari...or at least have it as an option. This is one of the main reasons why I still use Firefox and not Safari is because of Google Tool-bar.

Like instantly searching for images...or news....or search a site. Other aspects of Google Toolbar are right there in Safari like spell checking and form-filling...but just a search bar with Google isn't enough. And it doesn't even open up a fresh tab, just opens up right over the page your on.

That's another thing I love about Firefox, you can set it to always...and I mean ALWAYS open a tab instead of a new window. With Safari you have to Option-click or whatever if you want to make sure something opens in a new tab....if not it pops up a new Safari window. I hate that. I want one window and multiple tabs on my browser....and if some link wants to open a new window, it's automagically just taken to a new tab. Safari needs this...or again, at least the option.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
1. It is not slow for me, actually just testing it some more it is silly fast.

when you click back/forward button, both firefox and opera read from cache, the page load normally finished in 1 sec, while safari/webkit seems still try to load something from internet, result in the slowness. You didn't have this problem?

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
when you click back/forward button, both firefox and opera read from cache, the page load normally finished in 1 sec, while safari/webkit seems still try to load something from internet, result in the slowness. You didn't have this problem?

On this forum going back does as you describe (it is hardly slow though) but going forwards is lickety split. Going between this forum and another site it is all from cache and blazing, going between different sites it is blazing. So perhaps the way Webkit deals with VBulletin forums is different to firefox/opera but it seems to only be limited to this forum and going back.

Note: By blazing I mean fractions of seconds, too fast to guess.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
is this whole story about javascript? or this article also has some other speed boost of webkit regarding page loading, picture decoding, etc?

"Snappier" can't be only javscript related, can it?

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
is this whole story about javascript? or this article also has some other speed boost of webkit regarding page loading, picture decoding, etc?

"Snappier" can't be only javscript related, can it?

Check out the blog. And perhaps try out the latest build. I'm surprised you haven't done so already mr browser man.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
Check out the blog. And perhaps try out the latest build. I'm surprised you haven't done so already mr browser man.

I read there already, thats why I asked since I couldn't find detailed info.

I did tried safari/webkit from time to time, I tried it about 1 week ago, most recently, as you know, there are too many things it doesn't fit me well. So far, those ms speed advantages aren't significant enough to overcome those inconveniences to me.;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.