Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Feb 10, 2008, 11:53 PM   #1
blubox
macrumors member

iPod Questions

I have a ipod touch and i have a few questions.

1. Will the iPod tell you if it is overheating? Does the iPod touch overheat?

2. If it does overheat what can it do to the system?

Thank you so much!
blubox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2008, 01:12 AM   #2
Krafty
macrumors 601

Quote:
1. Will the iPod tell you if it is overheating?
No.
Quote:
Does the iPod touch overheat?
Not really. The only time I ever feel it (or any) heat up is towards the connector while transferring like...1000+ songs at once.
Quote:
Well, under normal use it doesnt usually overheat, but if it does either it will crash, or shut down. It could damage the system and cause data loss, but I dont know.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 06:02 AM   #3
eXan
macrumors 601

Send a message via ICQ to eXan Send a message via AIM to eXan Send a message via Skype™ to eXan
Quote:
Originally Posted by blubox View Post

Thank you so much!
Tell me: why do you even worry about it?
Old Feb 11, 2008, 09:16 AM   #4
macman44
macrumors newbie

Why would apple design and sell for a reasonably large amount of money, a device that overheats and damages itself?
macman44 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2008, 09:37 AM   #5
meriadoc
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubox View Post

Thank you so much!

I've had an iPod Touch since Xmas, and there hasn't been a hint of overheating - I regularly watch movies on it on the train, stays cold all the way.

Meriadoc
meriadoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2008, 11:08 AM   #6
IgnatiusTheKing
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to IgnatiusTheKing Send a message via Skype™ to IgnatiusTheKing
No issues here. It has operated perfectly ever since I took it out of the box.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 12:34 PM   #7
davidy
macrumors 6502

If it's connected to a power source and left on a flat surface it will get warm, but nowhere near hot. Normally you're carrying it around or holding it so it has air circulating around it and keeping it cool. Some leather cases may enclose it and prevent air circulation but since Apple sells these they apparently don't see heat as a problem. At any rate it's better to be safe than sorry - let it have some air and you'll be okay.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 12:45 PM   #8
scotty96LSC
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgnatiusTheKing View Post
No issues here. It has operated perfectly ever since I took it out of the box.
Ditto.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 09:47 PM   #9
Jonathon662
macrumors newbie

I just got an Ipod Touch and when I was syncing my music it just quit after about 100 songs and I have like 4000 to go, so I plugged it back in and it started again from were it left off but this time I held it in my hand and it went up to 200 songs before it quit. Im guna call apple tomarrow but I think its overheating, yet it doesn't feel too hot, only around the power connecter.
What do you guys think?
Jonathon662 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2008, 07:57 AM   #10
IgnatiusTheKing
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to IgnatiusTheKing Send a message via Skype™ to IgnatiusTheKing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathon662 View Post
I just got an Ipod Touch and when I was syncing my music it just quit after about 100 songs and I have like 4000 to go, so I plugged it back in and it started again from were it left off but this time I held it in my hand and it went up to 200 songs before it quit. Im guna call apple tomarrow but I think its overheating, yet it doesn't feel too hot, only around the power connecter.
What do you guys think?
Definitely give them a call and try to find out what's going on. That certainly isn't normal behavior. You may have gotten a lemon, in which case Apple will send you a new one.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 08:04 AM   #11
Mars478
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Mars478 Send a message via MSN to Mars478 Send a message via Skype™ to Mars478
My stays cold always and i have a DLO silicon case so i dont feel it even if it did overheat
Old Mar 26, 2008, 08:15 AM   #12
4DThinker
macrumors 68020

There are cases of batteries in similar devices developing a short and generating enough heat to catch on fire. If you're sensing a sub par battery life, and the case gets hot to the touch, I'd suspect a bad battery and get it replaced as soon as possible.
Old Oct 6, 2008, 03:31 PM   #13
ZeroGFrame
macrumors newbie

Overheating when not charging...

I actually just noticed my iPod Touch (30GB) getting unusually warm, and it's not plugged in to anything. Beginning to worry a little, as this has never happened. I stopped playing it and it seems to have cooled down. I'm sure it's totally out of warranty now (had it replaced for a bad battery once before too). Anyone else experience anything similar?
ZeroGFrame is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2008, 07:19 PM   #14
Ivan P
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to Ivan P
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroGFrame View Post
I actually just noticed my iPod Touch (30GB) getting unusually warm, and it's not plugged in to anything. Beginning to worry a little, as this has never happened. I stopped playing it and it seems to have cooled down. I'm sure it's totally out of warranty now (had it replaced for a bad battery once before too). Anyone else experience anything similar?
...30GB iPod touch...?
Ivan P is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2008, 08:05 PM   #15
mackmgg
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by macman44 View Post
Why would apple design and sell for a reasonably large amount of money, a device that overheats and damages itself?
umm... they did

the 8600mbp, and ibook that overheated and combusted (they werent apples parts, but apple chose 2 put them in, as w/ the ipod parts.)

Last edited by mackmgg; Oct 6, 2008 at 08:05 PM. Reason: refrase
mackmgg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2008, 08:22 AM   #16
ZeroGFrame
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan P View Post
...30GB iPod touch...?
32GB, sorry.
ZeroGFrame is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2008, 09:21 AM   #17
Ivan P
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to Ivan P
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackmgg View Post
umm... they did

the 8600mbp, and ibook that overheated and combusted (they werent apples parts, but apple chose 2 put them in, as w/ the ipod parts.)
And I'm sure that upon learning they were insufficient parts that Apple stopped using them in their computers.
Ivan P is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2010, 07:17 AM   #18
junkme
macrumors newbie

Well my ipod touch just got seriously hot - painful to touch, It's fried now. Just the white screen of death. 2 months out of warranty too. It happened while charging.
junkme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2011, 10:51 PM   #19
AppleAdmin
macrumors newbie

Exclamation Dead Space is overheating my ipod

Hi, I have an ipod 4g and recently installed dead space. The game runs perfectly but after a minute or so the ipod starts getting so hot that my hands hurt (SERIOUSLY!!!), any advice of how can I treat this issue or how does this affect my ipod's life. Thanks!
AppleAdmin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2011, 01:13 AM   #20
caspersoong
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krafty View Post
No.

Not really. The only time I ever feel it (or any) heat up is towards the connector while transferring like...1000+ songs at once.

Well, under normal use it doesnt usually overheat, but if it does either it will crash, or shut down. It could damage the system and cause data loss, but I dont know.
Really? I heard reports of people saying that the iPod tells them that it's overheating, just like the iPhone. Never encountered the overheating screen but...
Old Jul 26, 2011, 12:54 PM   #21
QuestorJones
macrumors newbie

I have seen the message first hand... the iPod Touch says that it is overheating and you need to let it cool down before using it (does not let you continue). However, it only ever happened one time (but repeated even after I let it cool) so I just reset it and the error went away... I did this because it was not warm at all, even when I got the message the first time.

Have not seen the message since (even under heavy usage), so my guess is that it may have been erroneous, at least in my case...however, the ipod touch definitely does a check for overheating. (at least in 2nd Gen iPod Touch)

Last edited by QuestorJones; Jul 26, 2011 at 01:26 PM.
QuestorJones is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2011, 02:53 PM   #22
rattler
macrumors member

If it does overheat, it will tell you that it is too hot and to turn it off, but you shouldn't have any problems with that. When playing CPU-intensive games such as Infinity Blade or Real Racing 2, my iPod touch (4th gen) can get pretty warm, especially if I have a case on it, but it never gets really "hot". Just make sure the heat can dissipate (i.e, don't leave it on your bed/pillow and make sure there's plenty of air circulation)
rattler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2011, 09:11 PM   #23
irishtike
macrumors member

i have a ipt 4 and yes, it will get warm when you use it alot. though if it overheats from use then you have an issue. i have seen the overheated screen once and that was when i left the ipod in a car for around 10 minutes, i pressed the lock button and it said, "ipod temperature is to hot, please wait" or something along those lines, any way if that pops then just wait till it cools enough to use.
irishtike is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2011, 11:31 PM   #24
wngster
macrumors member

if you feel it getting hot then ether take the case off(if u have one) and set it cool off
wngster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:05 AM   #25
Jadenkrebs
macrumors newbie

Can somebody watch you through your FaceTime camera. If so how do I know?
Jadenkrebs is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch