Internet Radio for iPhone and iPod Touch - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Feb 11, 2008, 02:32 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Internet Radio for iPhone and iPod Touch

GCap Media has launched a new mobile website that provides iPhone and iPod Touch users a way to listen to live radio over the internet.

The new site launched at MusicRadio.com provides a mobile Safari optimized browsing experience that allows users to listen to live radio streamed over the internet. 5 stations are presently offered from the London based company:

Capital 95.8 - hits and new music
Xfm - interviews, rock, highlights from the Top 20
Choice FM - hip hop and R&B
Classic FM - classical music
Gold - classic hits

The service also provides users to see the last 5 tracks played and buy them through iTunes on your iPhone. In our brief testing, the service worked quite well with good quality through Wifi.

Article Link
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2008, 02:43 PM   #2
Popeye206
macrumors 68030

Excellent!

The concept here is totally cool! Now if they would just let me pause and rewind the Radio too (like TIVO).

The challenge is going to be how this is delivered... of course, you can't be walking or driving around with WiFi access to listen. But I still love this concept and think this is one of the areas that Apple needs to exploit and expand on more - doing so would take the iPod line to a new level changing the playing field once again for MP3 players.

Cool!

Last edited by Popeye206; Feb 11, 2008 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Missed a couple points! :-)
Popeye206 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2008, 02:56 PM   #3
mainstreetmark
macrumors 68020

Yeah! Really! Works great. I don't know if I'd ever use this, but it's a good demo of what can be done!

All this free bandwidth for YouTube and now Radio, yet our tiny SMS messages are (artificially) limited.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 02:58 PM   #4
maehara
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye206 View Post
I still love this concept and think this is one of the areas that Apple needs to exploit and expand on more
Yup - a central list from Apple of iPod-compatible radio streams would be a really useful app (or a good idea for someone else to do once the SDK comes out, maybe?). Not much of a fan of the stations featured, but the idea's a good one...
Old Feb 11, 2008, 03:17 PM   #5
The Phazer
macrumors 68020

Quote:
The challenge is going to be how this is delivered... of course, you can't be walking or driving around with WiFi access to listen.
It just about works on Edge too...

This about the single best innovation Gcap has done for years. I remember giving a presentation there a few years ago talking about building a site that linked to stores to buy the track you just heard as a revenue generator, and there didn't seem to be any buy-in at all, so it's come a bit out of the blue.

But a very welcome surprise.

Phazer
The Phazer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2008, 03:35 PM   #6
RevolutionOne
macrumors member

I'm glad it has XFM on it or I wouldn't have cared.

This is going to get a lot of use

iPhone - 8GB
RevolutionOne is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2008, 03:43 PM   #7
Drumjim85
macrumors 68020

Quote:
The concept here is totally cool! Now if they would just let me pause and rewind the Radio too (like TIVO).
nope, that gets into royalty battles... and how many times does the station have to pay the artist for that song play....

there are pretty strict rules on internet radio about that kinda thing... pandora.com (a great site!) talks about that some.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 03:46 PM   #8
sammywoj
macrumors newbie

Satellite Internet Radio?

Can the Sirius/XM stream be accessed on the iPhone/Touch via WiFi? I access my satellite internet radio from my home computer now. Would be nice to take it with me around the home or office. If not, is this a possibility soon?
sammywoj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2008, 03:47 PM   #9
Popeye206
macrumors 68030

You know... sometimes you just have to try it. :-) For some goofy reason when I read UK... I assumed it would not work in the US... silly me!

Anyway.. I tried it... seems to have some quirkiness to it, and one annoying feature.... when your iPhone sleeps... the connection is lost! Yikes! Still this is cool and I'll have to play some more to see if I have a setting wrong.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 04:07 PM   #10
brucebrendon
macrumors regular

Bbc

Oh if only the BBC would move away from realplayer etc for some qt. Would gain them instant easy points until their mac compatible iPlayer comes out. Simple. Easy. Ideal. Unlikely.
brucebrendon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2008, 04:25 PM   #11
madhive
macrumors newbie

Finally!
madhive is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2008, 04:38 PM   #12
deannnnn
macrumors 68000

How is this any different from FlyTunes?
Old Feb 11, 2008, 04:40 PM   #13
fart
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevolutionOne View Post
I'm glad it has XFM on it or I wouldn't have cared.

This is going to get a lot of use

XFM!!!! THE HOME OF KARL PILKINGTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
fart is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2008, 06:32 PM   #14
rediffusion
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fart View Post
XFM!!!! THE HOME OF KARL PILKINGTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
yep, he's a genius
rediffusion is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2008, 06:55 PM   #15
breath of apple
macrumors member

Great!

Streaming radio - excellent idea!
Old Feb 11, 2008, 07:41 PM   #16
California
macrumors 68040

I just would like an AM radio player for my iPod or iPhone. Is that possible?
California is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2008, 07:50 PM   #17
Wolf103FM
macrumors regular

I'ved been running Tversity media server on my windows box, along with uxm and usirius to allow mw to listen to live XM and Sirius satellite radio at work on my touch, where I can't get the satellite signals. as well as many radio stations I have manually added to the library
Wolf103FM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2008, 08:01 PM   #18
Fender321
macrumors member

This works perfectly for me over Edge (Atlanta, GA)! I've been hoping for something like this for a long time. Let's hope for more stations in time.
Fender321 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2008, 09:16 PM   #19
Popeye206
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumjim85 View Post
nope, that gets into royalty battles... and how many times does the station have to pay the artist for that song play....
there are pretty strict rules on internet radio about that kinda thing... pandora.com (a great site!) talks about that some.
Well... then they are going to get into royalty battles... this service does allow you to pause and rewind. Just Like I was asking for.

Honestly, I don't see what the issue is... I understand the royalty issue, but recording TV and Radio has been out there for years... how is pausing and rewinding any different than that?
Old Feb 11, 2008, 09:20 PM   #20
Popeye206
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender321 View Post
This works perfectly for me over Edge (Atlanta, GA)! I've been hoping for something like this for a long time. Let's hope for more stations in time.
Hummm... I really can't get it to work all that well... even on my WiFi... when the iPhone sleeps... I'll loose the feed for the station... so I assume I'm loosing my internet connection when the iPhone sleeps... do I have a setting wrong somewhere???

Looking for some answers if anyone has any suggestions.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 10:17 PM   #21
Ronnoco
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Hummm... I really can't get it to work all that well... even on my WiFi... when the iPhone sleeps... I'll loose the feed for the station... so I assume I'm loosing my internet connection when the iPhone sleeps... do I have a setting wrong somewhere???

Looking for some answers if anyone has any suggestions.
Mine did that a couple of times as well but now it is working perfectly even while it is in sleep mode...perhaps there are still a few quirks to work out which is to be exoected...all in all a brilliant new function IMO...Cheers to GCap!
Ronnoco is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2008, 10:34 PM   #22
fpnc
macrumors 68000

Promising but drops connection every minute or so

I was able to get this to work over both WiFi and EDGE, but it seems to last only about a minute and then the playback stops. I suspect it has something to do with power management on the iPhone and it could simply be that the iPhone isn't designed to hold an internet stream indefinitely. Also, the sound quality was somewhat suspect. If my results are typical I don't think I could use it to listen to music, maybe talk radio and news but not music.
fpnc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2008, 12:33 AM   #23
Fender321
macrumors member

I played it for about 20 minutes on edge, in sleep mode, before it stopped.

It appears as though the "streaming" is done by having the iPhone download a huge file (4 hours long) that the server is writing on the fly.

This means the iphone is likely caching the file as it downloads. Perhaps it's stopping once the phone runs out of memory, because I doubt it has any idea to delete the file as it goes.
Fender321 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2008, 03:18 AM   #24
Am3822
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucebrendon View Post
Oh if only the BBC would move away from realplayer etc for some qt. Would gain them instant easy points until their mac compatible iPlayer comes out. Simple. Easy. Ideal. Unlikely.
How about using their 'embedded' player (the one that pops up from their website)? Will it work on the ipod touch?

EDIT: obviously, the realplayer plug-in is required, and until RealMedia comes up with one compatible with the touch's architecture and/or the helix people do the same (and also manage to install it successfully), there's no chance of it happening.

Last edited by Am3822; Feb 12, 2008 at 03:21 AM. Reason: silly me.
Am3822 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2008, 08:52 AM   #25
Wyvernspirit
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Wyvernspirit
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainstreetmark View Post
Yeah! Really! Works great. I don't know if I'd ever use this, but it's a good demo of what can be done!

All this free bandwidth for YouTube and now Radio, yet our tiny SMS messages are (artificially) limited.
I'm sure you could get your SMS' for free if you allow for advertising on each message and message creator/sender.
iPad (3rd Gen), iPhone (4,3G S⃣, and Classic) ($SOLD$)
Wyvernspirit is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion