Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Feb 14, 2008, 12:06 AM   #1
PhaserFuzz
macrumors 6502

How can I transfer music from iPod to new PC?

Okay, I'm in a bit of a dilemma. My old PC completely crashed and I had to restore it to factory settings. So of course I lost all 40 gigs of music I had saved in my iTunes music folder. It is, however, all saved on my 3rd gen. iPod. Is there a way I can copy the music off the iPod onto the computer? I'm afraid if I plug it in, it'll automatically re sync to the new PC setup.

Thanks for any help!
PhaserFuzz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2008, 12:14 AM   #2
UltraNEO*
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to UltraNEO*
I'm not a PC user.. but I would of imagined there's a iPodfolderopener for the PC, like there is for the Mac.. Perhaps you can try checking here? or search google.

good luck!
Old Feb 14, 2008, 05:37 AM   #3
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaserFuzz View Post
Okay, I'm in a bit of a dilemma. My old PC completely crashed and I had to restore it to factory settings. So of course I lost all 40 gigs of music I had saved in my iTunes music folder. It is, however, all saved on my 3rd gen. iPod. Is there a way I can copy the music off the iPod onto the computer? I'm afraid if I plug it in, it'll automatically re sync to the new PC setup.

Thanks for any help!
Before you do anything else, in iTunes Preferences under "Syncing", check "Disable automatic syncing for all iPhones and iPods". Or just delete iTunes to be absolutely safe, you can always reinstall it. Better than taking chances.
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2008, 07:25 AM   #4
wakka092
macrumors 6502

In iTunes 7, under File > Transfer Purchases from iPod/iPhone. This only works for iTS purchases. But, for everything else, there's iDump. It's free and I got it off download.com. It's for PC and works great!
Old Feb 14, 2008, 04:17 PM   #5
rWally
macrumors regular

You can also tweak your folder settings in windows to see your hidden folders. This will allow you to explore the hidden folders on your ipod using windows explorer. If you turn on the option in itunes to copy your songs automatically to your itunes folder then all you have to do is open the song files and they'll be copied automatically into your itunes.
rWally is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2008, 05:31 PM   #6
Kilamite
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rWally View Post
You can also tweak your folder settings in windows to see your hidden folders. This will allow you to explore the hidden folders on your ipod using windows explorer. If you turn on the option in itunes to copy your songs automatically to your itunes folder then all you have to do is open the song files and they'll be copied automatically into your itunes.
By far the easiest way to do it as you don't have to install any 3rd party crap or pay for anything.
Kilamite is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2008, 03:55 AM   #7
.adam
macrumors regular

Yamipod.
.adam is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod