Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion

Old Oct 25, 2003, 08:30 PM   #1
BWhaler
macrumors 68000

Cool Panther Tricks

OK, I got tired of the endless bug and problems threads, so let's share some cool tricks you've found in Panther to share knowledge and a little sunshine.

Here's some cool things I've found:

1. When you are command tabbing, you can click 'H' to hide the app selected or 'M' to minimize it.
2. With command tab held down, you can mouse click on an app to go to it. (great when you have dozens of apps open.)
3. Closing the System Preferences window now shuts down the Sys Pref "app." no more quitting afterwards in a second step.

What little gems have you found?
BWhaler is offline   0
Old Oct 25, 2003, 09:27 PM   #2
Powerbook G5
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to Powerbook G5 Send a message via Yahoo to Powerbook G5
That's pretty nifty, thanks for sharing that.
Old Oct 25, 2003, 09:36 PM   #3
cubist
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to cubist
I haven't had any, but this morning, bleary-eyed at 6AM, the office called and I had to connect to the VPN, open terminal, open RDC, open a Java app, open Mail, pretty soon there are windows all over the screen, and I said to myself, let me try this F9 thing. It worked great! What a terrific feature!
cubist is offline   0
Old Oct 25, 2003, 09:41 PM   #4
evolu
macrumors regular

Hold shift down while exposé-ing and watch the effect in slow-mo.

check out all these hints at macosxhints.com
evolu is offline   0
Old Oct 25, 2003, 09:56 PM   #5
Taavi
macrumors newbie

Also when Alt-Tabbing you can hit Q to quit the selected application. VERY useful if you have 20 or so open and need to close some. Apple put thought into this OS (not that they didn't in other ones).
Taavi is offline   0
Old Oct 25, 2003, 10:01 PM   #6
XnavxeMiyyep
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to XnavxeMiyyep Send a message via MSN to XnavxeMiyyep Send a message via Yahoo to XnavxeMiyyep
Quote:
Originally posted by Taavi
Also when Alt-Tabbing you can hit Q to quit the selected application. VERY useful if you have 20 or so open and need to close some. Apple put thought into this OS (not that they didn't in other ones).
This (and hitting H for hide), both work in Jaguar, but it does show that Apple was putting thought into the OS.
XnavxeMiyyep is offline   0
Old Oct 25, 2003, 11:16 PM   #7
akitzmil
macrumors newbie

Finder Recordable

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere, but the Finder is now recordable in the Applescript editor. It wasn't in Jaguar.
akitzmil is offline   0
Old Oct 26, 2003, 12:02 AM   #8
MatthewStorm
macrumors 6502a

Very Cool App Switcher

Hit command-tab and your application icons show up in the middle of the screen. you can tab over to whichever one you like. Very nifty.
MatthewStorm is offline   0
Old Oct 26, 2003, 01:04 AM   #9
whocares
macrumors 65816

Re: Very Cool App Switcher

Quote:
Originally posted by MatthewStorm
Hit command-tab and your application icons show up in the middle of the screen. you can tab over to whichever one you like. Very nifty.
Throw in a shift key and it tabs backwards. Again handy if loads of apps open.

-BWhaler
Great thread idea, should be a sticky. Arn?
whocares is offline   0
Old Oct 26, 2003, 02:47 AM   #10
art399
macrumors newbie

Here's a good one, once you get used to using it: In any facet of OS X that uses the text system, you can press Option-Esc and if you have something typed in it will auto-complete and give you a drop down list of choices that are matched:
a) based on what you've typed so far into that document and
b) based on the dictionary

So for instance if i type in "Opt" right now and hit the key combo Option-Esc will be at the top even though it's not in the dictionary because i used that earlier in this post.
art399 is offline   0
Old Oct 26, 2003, 09:24 AM   #11
Choppaface
macrumors 65816

Re: Cool Panther Tricks

Quote:
Originally posted by BWhaler
3. Closing the System Preferences window now shuts down the Sys Pref "app." no more quitting afterwards in a second step.
didn't apple make a big fuss when 10.0.0 was launched that all apps will now have to be quitted instead of just closed? it seems a bit contradictory
Choppaface is offline   0
Old Oct 26, 2003, 09:46 AM   #12
tati
macrumors newbie

Since the Feature or Bug thread has been given notice, I'll post these here. Some of these have been covered on other sites, so please excuse any duplication:

When in Exposé one can cycle through the available windows by pressing Tab. Very nifty. Just wish it would work with the application windown choice in Exposé a bit more consistently.

No need any longer for Command-Shift-Tab to go backwards in the pop-up menu. Just use Command-` (the key just above Tab). Much easier.

In a new Finder windown, double-clicking the bar that separates the side-bar from the rest will collapse the side bar completely.
tati is offline   0
Old Oct 26, 2003, 10:07 AM   #13
encro
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to encro Send a message via MSN to encro Send a message via Skype™ to encro
Quote:
Originally posted by art399
Here's a good one, once you get used to using it: In any facet of OS X that uses the text system, you can press Option-Esc and if you have something typed in it will auto-complete
or the F5 key.
encro is offline   0
Old Oct 26, 2003, 12:57 PM   #14
whocares
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally posted by tati

No need any longer for Command-Shift-Tab to go backwards in the pop-up menu. Just use Command-` (the key just above Tab). Much easier.
That don't work on a French keyboard iBook
whocares is offline   0
Old Oct 26, 2003, 08:51 PM   #15
Superdrive
macrumors 6502a

The shift key effect on animations has been taken away from Finder windows when opening or closing. The nice thing is it works with Expose (keyboard only, not hotcorners), changing between system preferences, and still minimizing.
Superdrive is offline   0
Old Oct 26, 2003, 09:15 PM   #16
j33pd0g
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to j33pd0g
Quote:
Here's a good one, once you get used to using it: In any facet of OS X that uses the text system, you can press Option-Esc and if you have something typed in it will auto-complete and give you a drop down list of choices that are matched:
a) based on what you've typed so far into that document and
b) based on the dictionary

So for instance if i type in "Opt" right now and hit the key combo Option-Esc will be at the top even though it's not in the dictionary because i used that earlier in this post.
Hey this is a cool tip. But how is this useful? So I get this list of words by pressing option + esc (or F5), what good is it if I can't insert these words into what I'm typing? repeat things such as long tricky last names would be nice to auto insert but how? What am I missing. I've tried enter, return, arrow key, copy and paste, double click.
Old Oct 26, 2003, 11:54 PM   #17
art399
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by j33pd0g
Hey this is a cool tip. But how is this useful? So I get this list of words by pressing option + esc (or F5), what good is it if I can't insert these words into what I'm typing? repeat things such as long tricky last names would be nice to auto insert but how? What am I missing. I've tried enter, return, arrow key, copy and paste, double click.
TAB
art399 is offline   0
Old Oct 27, 2003, 12:18 AM   #18
Bunzi2k4
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Bunzi2k4
Re: Re: Very Cool App Switcher

Quote:
Originally posted by whocares
Throw in a shift key and it tabs backwards. Again handy if loads of apps open.

-BWhaler
Great thread idea, should be a sticky. Arn?

lol that is tight!!!!!!
Old Oct 27, 2003, 12:50 AM   #19
alset
macrumors 65816

Re: Re: Cool Panther Tricks

Quote:
Originally posted by Choppaface
didn't apple make a big fuss when 10.0.0 was launched that all apps will now have to be quitted instead of just closed? it seems a bit contradictory
Actually, that's how is was in OS 9, too.

Dan
Old Oct 27, 2003, 01:37 AM   #20
LimeLite
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to LimeLite
I need to reiterate what someone said because it appears to have gone unnoticed, but the command-tab tricks to switch programs, quit, or hide apps were all available in the past. The only thing that's changes is that there is a bigger graphical representation in the middle of the screen instead of just looking at the dock. Windows has this too I believe. Glad it's on OS X now too.
LimeLite is offline   0
Old Oct 27, 2003, 07:03 AM   #21
j33pd0g
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to j33pd0g
Quote:
TAB
Tab didn't work.

Last edited by j33pd0g; Oct 27, 2003 at 08:38 AM.
j33pd0g is offline   0
Old Oct 27, 2003, 07:23 AM   #22
alset
macrumors 65816

osxhints.com has posted a "pre-dawn" edition of new hints. There are several not mentioned here. Check it out!

Dan

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion