Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barkingsheltie

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2008
Thousand Oaks
Hi,

We are buying the touch as gift for a friend who is undergoing chemotherapy. He is running 10.3 (possibly 10.2). I don't know that we can convince him to upgrade to tiger or leopard. He has a imac - 800 mhz g4.

Anyway, anyone know whether itunes supports the touch on the older version of OS X? What are the minimum requirements (its not clear at the apple store online page). Again, I assume that you can update itunes to whatever the newest flavor is - but that might be an errant assumption on my part - especially since the touch and phone have more advanced syncing needs.

Shelley

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
You need 10.3.9 for iTunes 7, 10.4.9 for the modern iPods. His computer maxes out at Tiger, but you can get old copies of Tiger for cheap off eBay or Craigslist.

TEG

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
iTunes 7.6 will run on OS X 10.3.9 or later, so you should be good as long as your friend has the 10.3.9 point update.

EDIT: Ah, didn't realize the iPods actually had an OS X requirement of their own. Odd.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
iTunes 7.6 will run on OS X 10.3.9 or later, so you should be good as long as your friend has the 10.3.9 point update.

EDIT: Ah, didn't realize the iPods actually had an OS X requirement of their own. Odd.

It has to do with the communication package used by the iPhone and iPod Touch.

TEG

barkingsheltie

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2008
Thousand Oaks
Thanks Teg,

I have a family pack tiger and since I've upgraded to leopard, Im going to send this too him.

Thanks for the help/tips.

Shelley

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.