Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gazfocus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 3, 2008
Liverpool, UK
I have just got round to updating my Apple TV and everytime I try to log in to my iTunes account, it says that either the Apple ID or Password is incorrect, although I can still log in on my PC.

I am in the UK and my iTunes account is a US one funded by iTunes Gift Cards.

Is there any way to resolve this?

gazfocus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 3, 2008
Liverpool, UK
I have just tried logging on with my UK iTunes account too and that didn't work either. Also, YouTube doesn't work. It comes up "There is a problem communicating with YouTube. Try again later."

I'm leaning towards thinking it's a network issue, but it finds my iTunes on my computer ok, and it downloaded the update no problem.

Any thoughts?

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
I have just tried logging on with my UK iTunes account too and that didn't work either. Also, YouTube doesn't work. It comes up "There is a problem communicating with YouTube. Try again later."

I'm leaning towards thinking it's a network issue, but it finds my iTunes on my computer ok, and it downloaded the update no problem.

Any thoughts?

Check for a software update again, what notice do you get?

gazfocus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 3, 2008
Liverpool, UK
I'm wondering if it's a fault with my AppleTV because it wouldn't connect to YouTube before I updated either. It was a refurb AppleTV...Do you think this is possible?

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Is your iTunes account using an AOL email address? There are major issues with the Apple TV and AOL accounts and addresses. Not sure what the fix is either.

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
Is your iTunes account using an AOL email address? There are major issues with the Apple TV and AOL accounts and addresses. Not sure what the fix is either.

If its an AOL account here is Apples help for that:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=307459

Solution
AOL accounts are not able to be used on Apple TV. If you need to sign in to the iTunes Store with an AOL account on your Apple TV, your AOL account will need to be converted to an Apple ID. iTunes Store Support can do this conversion for you. To reach them, follow these steps:

Go to the iTunes Store Support page and fill out the form at the bottom of the page. If you see a "Contact Us" button instead of a form, click it and then follow these steps:

In the Category section, choose Account or Billing.
In the Sub-Category section, choose I can't sign-in with my AOL account.
Ignore the Info field that appears on the right, and explain your situation in the "Ask Your Question Here" field at the bottom.
Click the Send button to send your request to iTunes Store Support.

megfilmworks

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2007
Sherman Oaks
I had the same problem after upgrading. Before the upgrade my apple user name (which is an aol.com email) worked fine.
After the upgrade I got the prompt username invalid or something like that.
I went to iTunes, and opened an account with my .mac email. It took just a few screens to verify info and credit card (maybe 1-2 mins).
After that the Apple TV accepted my .mac email no problem.
I think it is related to the aol.com email.

ByronSurfer

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2008
Not a tech fault; You're Locked Out!

The problem with Apple TV not accessing the iTunes store seems to be Apple locking out non-US users from its US iTunes store.

You can only use that store if you have a credit card with a US billing address.

Other users seem to revert to their own-country stores which seem not to offer movies at all -- probably because Apple has not bothered or not resolved copyright issues in making the movies available to other copyright jurisdictions.

So all the hype about Apple TV upgrades offering movie downloads seems to be completely false if you live anywhere but within the USA.

Set your Itunes store to your own country on Apple TV or iTunes and you will see that the movie menu options disappear, so this is not unintended but allowed for in the programming.

It's enough to make you... :mad::mad::mad:

gazfocus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 3, 2008
Liverpool, UK

My account doesn't use an AOL email address. It uses a hotmail account.

The problem with Apple TV not accessing the iTunes store seems to be Apple locking out non-US users from its US iTunes store.

You can only use that store if you have a credit card with a US billing address.

Other users seem to revert to their own-country stores which seem not to offer movies at all -- probably because Apple has not bothered or not resolved copyright issues in making the movies available to other copyright jurisdictions.

So all the hype about Apple TV upgrades offering movie downloads seems to be completely false if you live anywhere but within the USA.

Set your Itunes store to your own country on Apple TV or iTunes and you will see that the movie menu options disappear, so this is not unintended but allowed for in the programming.

It's enough to make you... :mad::mad::mad:

So why doesn't my UK account work either? And why does YouTube not work? There are people from the UK in another thread that have signed in to the US accounts fine :(

VideoFreek

Contributor
May 12, 2007
Philly

Do you have some factual knowledge about this change, or are you just speculating? Plenty of other non-US members are reporting on this forum that their "US" accounts funded solely by US iTMS Cards are working just fine with :apple:TV rentals.

Apple have been very upfront about the fact that rentals are currently for US customers only. Steve Jobs mentioned in his MWSF keynote that this service will be extended to other countries later this year.

VideoFreek

Contributor
May 12, 2007
Philly
I have just got round to updating my Apple TV and everytime I try to log in to my iTunes account, it says that either the Apple ID or Password is incorrect, although I can still log in on my PC.
I hate to bring up something so basic, but AppleIDs and passwords are case-sensitive. Are you 100% sure you're entering them correctly?

gazfocus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 3, 2008
Liverpool, UK
I hate to bring up something so basic, but AppleIDs and passwords are case-sensitive. Are you 100% sure you're entering them correctly?

yeah, i always make all usernames and passwords in lower case. Thanks for the suggestion though.

One thing that may be worth noting is that I can watch film trailers and TV Show Previews so I must be getting the network connection but it just will not sign me in :(

gazfocus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 3, 2008
Liverpool, UK
Emailed Apple regarding this and this is the reply I got back:

Hello Gareth!
Many other customer's are experiencing this too. Apple is currently working hard toward a resolution for this issue you've reported. You will receive an email after the matter has been investigated and further information is available for me and for you. Thank you for your patience and understanding Gareth! Apple wants your iTunes experience to be as enjoyable as possible. I'll be in touch soon! Have yourself a good night!

Take care of yourself!!
Courtney
iTunes Customer Support

Carlos E

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
NYC
If its an AOL account here is Apples help for that:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=307459

Solution
AOL accounts are not able to be used on Apple TV. If you need to sign in to the iTunes Store with an AOL account on your Apple TV, your AOL account will need to be converted to an Apple ID. iTunes Store Support can do this conversion for you. To reach them, follow these steps:

Go to the iTunes Store Support page and fill out the form at the bottom of the page. If you see a "Contact Us" button instead of a form, click it and then follow these steps:

In the Category section, choose Account or Billing.
In the Sub-Category section, choose I can't sign-in with my AOL account.
Ignore the Info field that appears on the right, and explain your situation in the "Ask Your Question Here" field at the bottom.
Click the Send button to send your request to iTunes Store Support.
This fix does not work.

pjo63

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2008
I was able to resolve this with power cycle

I had this problem last night when I went to play
a previously rented movie -- some error about not
being able to authorize my ATV with iTunes Store.

I tried everything I could think of with no success at which time
I resorted to pulling the power plug.

After the ATV when through a full power reset I was able
to enter my iTunes password and it finally went through.

gazfocus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 3, 2008
Liverpool, UK
Does anyone know if this has been resolved as I still cannot log into iTunes with either of my iTunes accounts (one is a UK one using a hotmail email and one is a US one using my web domain email)..

sp44

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2006
I have the same problem. Refurb AppleTV, can't connect with my username password, works fine on PC. Will try power cycle. Great start for my AppleTv experience. :(

tibbo2k

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2008
On a slightly different (but still thread relevant) note...

Is it possible for the Apple TV unit to connect to a home network and stream media from a pc running iTunes WITHOUT an iTunes account?

The reason I ask is I'm looking into being able to stream media throughout the house and I quite fancy the Apple TV as the front end system due to the unique 'frontrow' interface. I might just be being fussy but most of the media HDD's out there have terrible GUI, I just like things to look all nice and slick.

As I don't have an iTunes account but still use iTunes to collaborate my media, will the Apple TV still do the job I want it to do? I'm not overly bothered about the online rentals as Blockbuster isn't actually that far away and part of the whole 'movie rental' experience is flicking through the display boxes and reading the blurbs on the back (Ok, so I'm a bit old school like that).

If this will work for me, is there anywhere you lovely people know of that I can buy three Apple TV units as a bulk order? ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.