Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

woolyback

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 14, 2008
England
Been toying with buying an Apple TV, but have a question that I can't find a 100% answer for...I have a UK iTunes account so appreciate rentals aren't available yet, but is there any intent to allow you to buy films via iTunes ?

i.e. I know you can rent one for $x, and it disappears after you've watched it, but is there a facility available (or will there be) whereby you just buy the film (an dthen own/can keep it as per a DVD? Or would I just continue going to HMV, buying the DVD and importing it into iTunes ? :confused:

speakerwizard

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2006
London
films both rent and buy should be coming later in the year though all studios are for rent, i think its only disney and their partners that are selling so far.

MikieMikie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Newton, MA
Been toying with buying an Apple TV, but have a question that I can't find a 100% answer for...I have a UK iTunes account so appreciate rentals aren't available yet, but is there any intent to allow you to buy films via iTunes ?

i.e. I know you can rent one for $x, and it disappears after you've watched it, but is there a facility available (or will there be) whereby you just buy the film (an dthen own/can keep it as per a DVD? Or would I just continue going to HMV, buying the DVD and importing it into iTunes ? :confused:

As of right now, there are no HD movies available for purchase, anywhere on the ITMS. The only HD content available is for rental.

SD movies are available for purchase.

As for The Steve's intent on opening these purchases up to the rest of the world, no one knows. If you are interested, there are threads here which describe in detail how you can obtain a US iTunes gift card, and use that to purchase SD movies, music, etc.

speakerwizard

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2006
London
"there are threads here which describe in detail how you can obtain a US iTunes gift card"

i like this method for renting but i dont feel comfortable buying content in case apple were to ever clamp down on foreign usage etc, would be a waste of money.

MikieMikie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Newton, MA
"there are threads here which describe in detail how you can obtain a US iTunes gift card"

i like this method for renting but i dont feel comfortable buying content in case apple were to ever clamp down on foreign usage etc, would be a waste of money.

I appreciate your concerns. I would just point out that if cracking down were something The Steve wanted to do, it would have happened long ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.