Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Feb 19, 2008, 05:40 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

AT&T Offering Unlimited Voice Plan for $99

Announced today, Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile are offering new $99.99 unlimited voice calling plans. This allows mobile phone customers to talk as long as they want, seven days a week.
Quote:
The plans will be available to new and existing wireless subscribers for $99.99 a month for unlimited U.S. calling on all devices with no domestic roaming or long distance charges.
The $99 plans is also available to iPhone users, though you are still required to add the $20 unlimited data plan.

Article Link
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2008, 05:54 PM   #2
shadowfax
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to shadowfax
My first question is, is it still $10/mo to add a line for a family plan?
shadowfax is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2008, 06:02 PM   #3
chr1s60
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax View Post
My first question is, is it still $10/mo to add a line for a family plan?
I was thinking the same thing. Is this even an option for iPhone users on a family plan and if so how much does it cost per line?
Old Feb 19, 2008, 06:20 PM   #4
sportsfanMAW
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chr1s60 View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Is this even an option for iPhone users on a family plan and if so how much does it cost per line?
haha my thoughts exactly, Will it end up costing me a ton of $$ fora family plan or will it be $9.99 extra per line?
sportsfanMAW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2008, 06:25 PM   #5
LastZion
macrumors 6502a

sounds good, wish something like it would come to Canada
Old Feb 19, 2008, 06:35 PM   #6
yellow

That's only for a single line plan (on Verizon). Family plan unlimited is $199 for 2 lines and some charge for each line after that.
yellow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2008, 06:36 PM   #7
mwp98223
macrumors 6502

Looking at Verizon it is basically $99 per line on a family plan. At least that's how I'm reading it.
mwp98223 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2008, 07:41 PM   #8
SirOmega
macrumors 6502a

Its $99/line unlimited talk. So if you had a family plan with 3 lines it would be $99 each.

What I'm interested to know is if you can have one line on the unlimited talk plan and two other plans on the same "family talk plan" that use minutes. I mean, I suppose I could break the family talk plan apart, but its a PITA and AT&T might possibly charge contract fees.
SirOmega is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2008, 08:35 PM   #9
Starflyer
macrumors 6502a

This drops on the 22nd according to AT&T. They are still working on the logistics on the Family Talk plans.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 08:35 PM   #10
Hooka
macrumors regular

Why would you want unlimited calls on your iphone? My iphone sounds like crap and i can never get a signal, I drop call constantly, it is a complete nightmare, I live in South Florida, anyone else have this problem? Don't get me wrong it does some cool things and it's a great ipod but as a phone, come on? I drop calls on I-95, in Miami Fort Lauderdale home to 5,000,000 people.
Hooka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2008, 08:43 PM   #11
mediumofmeaning
macrumors member

at&t will never convince me they are not greedy scumbags who provide awful plans. someone please shank their ceo.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 08:52 PM   #12
MajorC
macrumors newbie

Hooka-I am in West Palm and travel daily into Broward and almost never lose a call. My earpiece volume could be better, but the connection is always full bars. Is your iphone screwed up???
MajorC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2008, 09:16 PM   #13
shadowfax
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to shadowfax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooka View Post
Why would you want unlimited calls on your iphone? My iphone sounds like crap and i can never get a signal, I drop call constantly, it is a complete nightmare, I live in South Florida, anyone else have this problem? Don't get me wrong it does some cool things and it's a great ipod but as a phone, come on? I drop calls on I-95, in Miami Fort Lauderdale home to 5,000,000 people.
Sounds like a problem with the network to me... Particularly considering the high volume of praise for the phone. Cell tower handoffs (what happens when you are driving) are often dropped when there aren't enough lines on the tower you're switching to. If you have reception issues in general, though, you should consider taking it back--get it replaced under warranty.
shadowfax is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2008, 09:47 PM   #14
Tattoo
macrumors 6502

Roaming? Long Distance? Canada? International?

Anyone know how the Unlimited Voice will affect those items?
Tattoo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2008, 09:56 PM   #15
Hooka
macrumors regular

when I walk my dog around the block I loose reception all the time. I don't get it. I bought my phone in December 2007, can I get an exchange? I've even called AT&T to tell them that the reception is awful in my neck of the woods. I have checked the coverage map and it says I'm in the best place to get full bars. I have never jail-broken or done any modding to the phone. It was also a brand new sim card. I switched from T-Mobile where I had great coverage and rarely dropped calls. oh well?
Hooka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2008, 09:59 PM   #16
MacFly123
macrumors 68020

Anyone think this will lead them to lowering the current iPhone rate plans or add more minutes? I really want them to sweeten the plans before I get iPhone 2.0, is that likely???
Old Feb 19, 2008, 10:14 PM   #17
Beligerent
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to Beligerent
Yeah great timing guys...I just walked into an AT&T store and cancelled my contract cause my iPhone was useless in Concord NH. I paid my $175.00 termination fee right there at the counter and now this.
Beligerent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2008, 10:50 PM   #18
avalys
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beligerent View Post
Yeah great timing guys...I just walked into an AT&T store and cancelled my contract cause my iPhone was useless in Concord NH. I paid my $175.00 termination fee right there at the counter and now this.
You think paying extra for unlimited minutes would solve your reception/coverage problem?
avalys is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2008, 11:10 PM   #19
ortuno2k
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
You're not alone. I live in South Florida too and my iPhone has dropped a good amount of calls, no matter who I'm talking to. And the reception indoor TOTALLY SUCKS, even inside a grocery store or something.
I'm not sure if it's AT&T or if it's the phone itself - considering taking it back to and have it checked before the warranty expires.
ortuno2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2008, 12:38 AM   #20
NewSc2
macrumors 65816

great news, unfortunately i barely use my 700 shared minutes (2 on my plan). As for network coverage, I get excellent coverage, save for a few random spots. Less than 1% of my calls ever drop or have shoddy signal.
NewSc2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2008, 12:43 AM   #21
liberty4all

Where's iPhone Push To Talk like AT&T Palm Centro?!

http://blog.treonauts.com/2008/02/att-centro-now.html

What I really want to know is, where is the iPhone's Push To Talk?! The Centro on AT&T has that, Music ID and XM Mobile...
liberty4all is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2008, 12:45 AM   #22
X86BSD
macrumors member

Send a message via Yahoo to X86BSD
Wow it seems like only yesterday...

that the telco's were raping people for dedicated digital lines (T1-T3). Now it appears they didn't learn the lesson from that and are offering unlimited voice for 99/mo?! Who in their right mind pays for these outrageously over priced plans? I have a sneaking suspicion with the SDK launching at the end of the month they know that skype, gizmo, etc are coming to the iphone and the days of raping customers per minute for voice are over. Just my theory but the writing is on the wall.

X
Old Feb 20, 2008, 01:04 AM   #23
jlanuez
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Agreed! My iPhone drops calls daily, often has no signal.
Absolutly the worst " cellphone" I've ever had. Love it for everything else it does though.

Does not even work in the airport in baggage!

BTW - we are in Tucson, AZ.
jlanuez is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2008, 01:44 AM   #24
SilvorX
macrumors 68000

Send a message via ICQ to SilvorX Send a message via AIM to SilvorX
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastZion View Post
sounds good, wish something like it would come to Canada
If only.. data prices still need to change quite a bit.

There was an internal memo sent out today by Rogers, data prices changing quite a bit, no unlimited but $15 buys 20mb, which is a big jump from 1.5mb, and unlike paying insane overage if you go over the usage, it bumps up into the next tier of data, which is up to 60mb for $30, and a maximum of up to 5GB for $100 (and each megabyte being $0.03 afterwards!). Which is insanely better than a couple cents per kilobyte in the past!

Anywho.. Unlimited minutes is not something I need, I'm paying 10 bucks for 250 min and unlimited evenings, and I'm well below that, however when I worked at Sprint I did see one or two accounts with Unlimited voice minutes for $60/month, plus unlimited texting for $0 as part of an old promo back around 2001
Old Feb 20, 2008, 02:07 AM   #25
Master Atrus
macrumors member

Dumb

I talked to at&t today and the plan is $99.99 for the first line, on a family talk it is $199.99.

Now I know it is nit-picking, but that is a penny more than having two single plans. What is with that?

Atrus

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion