Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Announced today, Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile are offering new $99.99 unlimited voice calling plans. This allows mobile phone customers to talk as long as they want, seven days a week.
The plans will be available to new and existing wireless subscribers for $99.99 a month for unlimited U.S. calling on all devices with no domestic roaming or long distance charges.
The $99 plans is also available to iPhone users, though you are still required to add the $20 unlimited data plan.

Article Link

sportsfanMAW

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2006
I was thinking the same thing. Is this even an option for iPhone users on a family plan and if so how much does it cost per line?

haha my thoughts exactly, Will it end up costing me a ton of $$ fora family plan or will it be $9.99 extra per line?

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
That's only for a single line plan (on Verizon). Family plan unlimited is $199 for 2 lines and some charge for each line after that.

SirOmega

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2006
Las Vegas
Its $99/line unlimited talk. So if you had a family plan with 3 lines it would be $99 each.

What I'm interested to know is if you can have one line on the unlimited talk plan and two other plans on the same "family talk plan" that use minutes. I mean, I suppose I could break the family talk plan apart, but its a PITA and AT&T might possibly charge contract fees.

Starflyer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2003
This drops on the 22nd according to AT&T. They are still working on the logistics on the Family Talk plans.

Hooka

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Why would you want unlimited calls on your iphone? My iphone sounds like crap and i can never get a signal, I drop call constantly, it is a complete nightmare, I live in South Florida, anyone else have this problem? Don't get me wrong it does some cool things and it's a great ipod but as a phone, come on? I drop calls on I-95, in Miami Fort Lauderdale home to 5,000,000 people.

MajorC

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2003
Ft.Lauderdale
Hooka-I am in West Palm and travel daily into Broward and almost never lose a call. My earpiece volume could be better, but the connection is always full bars. Is your iphone screwed up???

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Why would you want unlimited calls on your iphone? My iphone sounds like crap and i can never get a signal, I drop call constantly, it is a complete nightmare, I live in South Florida, anyone else have this problem? Don't get me wrong it does some cool things and it's a great ipod but as a phone, come on? I drop calls on I-95, in Miami Fort Lauderdale home to 5,000,000 people.

Sounds like a problem with the network to me... Particularly considering the high volume of praise for the phone. Cell tower handoffs (what happens when you are driving) are often dropped when there aren't enough lines on the tower you're switching to. If you have reception issues in general, though, you should consider taking it back--get it replaced under warranty.

Hooka

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, FL
when I walk my dog around the block I loose reception all the time. I don't get it. I bought my phone in December 2007, can I get an exchange? I've even called AT&T to tell them that the reception is awful in my neck of the woods. I have checked the coverage map and it says I'm in the best place to get full bars. I have never jail-broken or done any modding to the phone. It was also a brand new sim card. I switched from T-Mobile where I had great coverage and rarely dropped calls. oh well?

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
Anyone think this will lead them to lowering the current iPhone rate plans or add more minutes? I really want them to sweeten the plans before I get iPhone 2.0, is that likely???

Beligerent

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2003
Concord, NH
Yeah great timing guys...I just walked into an AT&T store and cancelled my contract cause my iPhone was useless in Concord NH. I paid my $175.00 termination fee right there at the counter and now this.

avalys

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2004
Yeah great timing guys...I just walked into an AT&T store and cancelled my contract cause my iPhone was useless in Concord NH. I paid my $175.00 termination fee right there at the counter and now this.
You think paying extra for unlimited minutes would solve your reception/coverage problem?

ortuno2k

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2005
Hollywood, FL

You're not alone. I live in South Florida too and my iPhone has dropped a good amount of calls, no matter who I'm talking to. And the reception indoor TOTALLY SUCKS, even inside a grocery store or something.
I'm not sure if it's AT&T or if it's the phone itself - considering taking it back to :apple: and have it checked before the warranty expires.

NewSc2

macrumors 65816
Jun 4, 2005
New York, NY
great news, unfortunately i barely use my 700 shared minutes (2 on my plan). As for network coverage, I get excellent coverage, save for a few random spots. Less than 1% of my calls ever drop or have shoddy signal.

X86BSD

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2002
Kansas, USA
Wow it seems like only yesterday...

that the telco's were raping people for dedicated digital lines (T1-T3). Now it appears they didn't learn the lesson from that and are offering unlimited voice for 99/mo?! Who in their right mind pays for these outrageously over priced plans? I have a sneaking suspicion with the SDK launching at the end of the month they know that skype, gizmo, etc are coming to the iphone and the days of raping customers per minute for voice are over. Just my theory but the writing is on the wall.

X

jlanuez

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2006
USA

Agreed! My iPhone drops calls daily, often has no signal.
Absolutly the worst " cellphone" I've ever had. Love it for everything else it does though.

Does not even work in the airport in baggage!

BTW - we are in Tucson, AZ.

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
sounds good, wish something like it would come to Canada

If only.. data prices still need to change quite a bit.

There was an internal memo sent out today by Rogers, data prices changing quite a bit, no unlimited but $15 buys 20mb, which is a big jump from 1.5mb, and unlike paying insane overage if you go over the usage, it bumps up into the next tier of data, which is up to 60mb for $30, and a maximum of up to 5GB for $100 (and each megabyte being $0.03 afterwards!). Which is insanely better than a couple cents per kilobyte in the past!

Anywho.. Unlimited minutes is not something I need, I'm paying 10 bucks for 250 min and unlimited evenings, and I'm well below that, however when I worked at Sprint I did see one or two accounts with Unlimited voice minutes for $60/month, plus unlimited texting for $0 as part of an old promo back around 2001

Master Atrus

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2003
Dumb

I talked to at&t today and the plan is $99.99 for the first line, on a family talk it is $199.99.

Now I know it is nit-picking, but that is a penny more than having two single plans. What is with that?

Atrus

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.