Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Feb 20, 2008, 08:30 PM   #1
blaklaybul
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to blaklaybul
Run .exe on Mac?

Besides installing Parallels, is there any way to run a simple .exe file on a Mac?
Old Feb 20, 2008, 08:34 PM   #2
McGiord
macrumors 68040

Use Boot Camp and Windows XP or Vista, or VM ware Fusion...

FOr Older Macs use Virtual PC.
________
extreme q

Last edited by McGiord; Jan 30, 2011 at 04:12 AM.
McGiord is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2008, 08:37 PM   #3
nater.
macrumors member

You could try out CrossOver. I assume you are running an intel mac...

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/

There's the website. Check it out. I believe they have a few 30day trail or something.
nater. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2008, 08:39 PM   #4
tuxtpenguin
macrumors regular

I would second looking at Crossover. It keeps you from having to purchase a copy of Windows to install in a virtual machine.
tuxtpenguin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2008, 08:56 PM   #5
boast
macrumors 6502a

wine
boast is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2008, 09:19 PM   #6
iMacBook
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxtpenguin View Post
I would second looking at Crossover. It keeps you from having to purchase a copy of Windows to install in a virtual machine.
Thirded.

I have been using CrossOver for some time now and its gold. Works very well.

| My Twitter | My Last.fm |
White MacBook, 2.16GHz, 2GB RAM, 250GB Internal, 500GB External, 30GB Black iPod
iMacBook is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2009, 03:05 AM   #7
MiniHelp
macrumors newbie

In theory, yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxtpenguin View Post
True, CrossOver works on many applications, but not all. It can't run everything, and in my experience, it ran none at all of the things i wanted. So, if there is anything else, post that instead.
MiniHelp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2009, 04:31 AM   #8
HairaideUshima
macrumors newbie

RE:Crossover

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniHelp View Post
True, CrossOver works on many applications, but not all. It can't run everything, and in my experience, it ran none at all of the things i wanted. So, if there is anything else, post that instead.
I love crossover but, i was working fine. Then i opened it then later it kept saying shutting down and it will quit of the blue moon. Everytime i open it. Can anyone help?! please really appreiciate it thnxs a bunch.
HairaideUshima is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2009, 06:19 AM   #9
maflynn

Your options are limited to the following
emulation:
wine/crossover

Virtualization:
Parallels/VMware/Virtualbox

Native windows
BootCamp

The latter two require a copy of windows, while wine/crossover does not. Performance of wine/crossover is the worst of the three types. Games and such are best suited for bootcamp. Not all apps run under wine/crossover but most do under vmware (other then some games)
Old Aug 7, 2009, 06:47 AM   #10
JasonGough
macrumors regular

CrossOver looks pretty sweet!

I don't have much interest in running MS Office thanks to iWork, but i would be interested in running Windows Live Messenger to video chat with non iChat buddies.

It's not listed as 'officially supported' - does anyone here have experience with this?
JasonGough is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2009, 08:16 AM   #11
gumbyx84
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
Your options are limited to the following
emulation:
wine/crossover

Virtualization:
Parallels/VMware/Virtualbox

Native windows
BootCamp

The latter two require a copy of windows, while wine/crossover does not. Performance of wine/crossover is the worst of the three types. Games and such are best suited for bootcamp. Not all apps run under wine/crossover but most do under vmware (other then some games)
First off, Wine =/= Emulator. WINE actually stands for WINE Is Not an Emulator. Its is wrapper that converts Window API calls to *nix calls. If anything, its an interpreter.

Second off, WINE and Crossover Games are no where near the worst in performance. It all depends on what you are using them for. Try running Guild Wars on High in a VM and in Crossover and tell me which is worse. WINE/Crossover use native hardware, not virtual, to power the apps it runs, so it is much more powerful then a VM. The only issues with WINE/Crossover are compatibility issues hence why there is an application compatibility database on both CodeWeaver's and WINE's sites. I have tried a few games not even listed on Crossover's site and they worked fine (Example: With a little tweaking, I was able to get Megaten Online: Imagine working almost 100% in Crossover Games when it first came out, months before CodeWeaver added it to their compatibility listings).

Anyway, I agree that Crossover (costs money but has better support then WINE) is your best bet for getting Windows Binaries running on an Intel Mac. It all depends on what apps you are going to use though. I use Crossover Games for a few games I play randomly (Guild Wars, Megaten Imagine, Steam) and a Win7 VM for any non-graphic-intense apps and games that will not run in Crossover (Indie Windows Games, Homebrew tools for DS and PSP, etc.)

Depending on what you are trying to run DOSBox might be something to consider. I haven't tested it fully yet (but plan to so I can play some Decent 2; Can't find Mac PPC version anywhere), but I have heard good things about it. Heck, even read somewhere (think it was here) that someone got Windows 3.1 to run it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonGough View Post

I don't have much interest in running MS Office thanks to iWork, but i would be interested in running Windows Live Messenger to video chat with non iChat buddies.

It's not listed as 'officially supported' - does anyone here have experience with this?
Live Messenger is listed on CodeWeaver's compatibility database and WINE's AppDB as a Bronze and Silver grade app (depending on version).

BTW, If an application is not listed in CodeWeaver's compatibility database, check out WINE's. Since Crossover is just a professorially tweaked version of WINE, any apps that run in WINE should run in CrossOver. Also, any tips to make said app work in WINE should also work in CrossOver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HairaideUshima View Post
I love crossover but, i was working fine. Then i opened it then later it kept saying shutting down and it will quit of the blue moon. Everytime i open it. Can anyone help?! please really appreiciate it thnxs a bunch.
Have you upgraded to the newest version of CrossOver? I had a similar issue that was fixed after upgrading. Also, would email CodeWeaver about it. They provide free tech support for CrossOver users.

Last edited by gumbyx84; Aug 7, 2009 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Adding more info for JasonGough
gumbyx84 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2009, 04:50 AM   #12
quactaur
macrumors newbie

Crossover is fantastic for those small one off utilities that you sometmes need to run (i.e. standalone exe files); you can literally double click and run it like in windows.

Its a bit more iffy for bigger programs with dependencies, and despite what people say about crossover games, its still nowhere near as good due to driver support, but its still a faster option than virtualising/boot camp.
quactaur is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2010, 03:13 PM   #13
cpoticha
macrumors newbie

Crossover dissappointing

I can't figure out how to make Crossover work. There's virtually no documentation with the trial version, and as I know nothing of PCs don't know a C:/ drive from a hole in the ground.

I'm just trying to run some sync software that's only available for PC (Windows). My Android phone can't upgrade unless I use this sync program, and it's PC-only. When I try to run/install the software (I don't know which, since all I have is an opaque .EXE file), Crossover does...nothing. When I try to set up a 'bottle' I have no idea if it's successfully done anything.

cpoticha is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2010, 03:25 PM   #14
Winni
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonGough View Post

Huh? There's a native Microsoft Office version for Mac OS X and there also is a native Microsoft Messenger for Mac OS X...

Check this out: http://www.microsoft.com/mactopia

Besides, the best IM for Mac OS X still is Adium: http://adium.im/
And yes, it's compatible with Microsoft Messenger.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store