Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

SetteB.it claims that the announced "Roadmap" event to the iPhone Software Development Kit (SDK) will be just that... a "Roadmap". The site believes that Apple will be unable to deliver a final version of the SDK at their March 6th event. Instead, a beta version will be released, with a final version not expected until Apple's Worldwide Developer's Conference (WWDC). The dates for this year's WWDC have not yet been announced, but typically falls in June.

SetteB.it is not a typical rumor source, but this information is consistent with earlier Page 2 rumors and direct observations we've heard from individuals who have seen early versions of the SDK, who said that it appeared to offer just the "bare essentials" at that time.

Meanwhile, UBS analysts are continuing to predict that the 3G iPhone will be released "mid-year". They also pinpoint Infineon Technologies AG as the likely supplier for the 3G communications chip.

Article Link

hueyproductions

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2007
Ugh. I was looking forward to hearing announcements of apps I could add starting next week. What does this mean, we won't have apps until June?? Do you really think there's that much of a delay???

daveschroeder

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2003
Madison, WI
People who think this should have just happened overnight have no idea just how much work goes into something like this. Making a third party software environment that is reliable, consistent, supportable, and secure takes a lot more work that the (admittedly impressive) work that the hacking/hobbyist community has done. If only I had a nickel for every time my Treo 700p crashed or was utterly hosed or unstable because of one garbage app or another. Certainly Apple could adopt the free-for-all model, but Apple prefers a, shall we say, more "refined" experience when it comes to consumer products, especially for its first foray into a major new marketplace. And that necessarily includes the iTunes selection and syncing paradigm.

The comments above (and the couple below this, and probably about 99% of the rest in this thread) typify the reaction by those who have literally no idea just how much work goes into developing such an initiative. I wouldn't go so far as to say "ignorant" or "completely unable to see the big picture beyond what new little icon they'll have on their phone", but close. Apple is taking baby steps here, and an SDK allowing third party development is a massive undertaking if you want to have an element of control over the process, and the beautiful integration people have come to expect, overall, from Apple products.

"What's going on in Cupertino?" Please. You have NO IDEA how many people are working on this, and how high a priority this is for Apple.

Kedrik

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2007
Michigan
Must be something up

There must be something coming next week, or why the 1.1.4 update which doesn't seem to do much? Even if the SDK is beta, I bet they toss out some new app. or capability to lessen the sting.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
This is great news. This gives other companies time to develop a better phone so we can all get off this Apple bandwagon!

EyeMyke

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2003
Danbury, CT
People who think this should have just happened overnight have no idea just how much work goes into something like this. Making a third party software environment that is reliable, consistent, supportable, and secure takes a lot more work that the (admittedly impressive) work that the hacking/hobbyist community has done. If only I had a nickel for every time my Treo 700p crashed or was utterly hosed or unstable because of one garbage app or another. Certainly Apple could adopt the free-for-all model, but Apple prefers a, shall we say, more "refined" experience when it comes to consumer products, especially for its first foray into a major new marketplace. And that necessarily includes the iTunes selection and syncing paradigm.

The comments above (and the couple below this) typify the reaction by those who have literally no idea just how much work goes into developing such an initiative. I wouldn't go so far as to say "ignorant" or "completely unable to see the big picture beyond what new little icon they'll have on their phone", but close. Apple is taking baby steps here, and an SDK allowing third party development is a massive undertaking if you want to have an element of control over the process, and the beautiful integration people have come to expect, overall, from Apple products.

If it's that much of an issue, which I realize it is, SJobs should NOT have set expectations for February.

chrisgeleven

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2002
As long as a 3G phone comes out before 12/27/2008, I will be happy. That is the date my Verizon contract is fulfilled and I can switch to an iPhone.

notnek

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2007
I guess we're all going to have to set our watches with steve's. Then all of their releases will be on time if not early. :rolleyes:

DuFFy

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2007
Phila
why does this even sound possible to anyone. Steve said it would be late February for the sdk just last month. Why would he say that if it was gonna be delayed 4 months. Second. Why would a 3g phone make sense when they have to delay the sdk cuz they can't finish it in time. It seems impossible for both to be true.

hollerz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
Durham, UK

The comments above (and the couple below this, and probably about 99% of the rest in this thread) typify the reaction by those who have literally no idea just how much work goes into developing such an initiative. I wouldn't go so far as to say "ignorant" or "completely unable to see the big picture beyond what new little icon they'll have on their phone", but close. Apple is taking baby steps here, and an SDK allowing third party development is a massive undertaking if you want to have an element of control over the process, and the beautiful integration people have come to expect, overall, from Apple products.

"What's going on in Cupertino?" Please. You have NO IDEA how many people are working on this, and how high a priority this is for Apple.

That might be right, but then surely Apple would of known how much work it takes. So why tell people they'll have an SDK in developers hands by February?

Kedrik

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2007
Michigan
The mockups from Abilene Christian University of education related applications look very promising. Perhaps something along that line will be put out before the complete SDK is available? As a teacher, I'd love to use that to manage my classroom. If only to learn the kids' names each fall - just having the roll hooked up with a picture would be great.

daveschroeder

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2003
Madison, WI
If it's that much of an issue, which I realize it is, SJobs should NOT have set expectations for February.

Perhaps not. And that's why Apple doesn't really like giving deadlines in the future. I imagine he wanted to offer some sense of firmness to an area that a lot of press and analysts are keeping an eagle eye on. The only people who will care about this are the people who want to fill 45 screens on their phone with apps, and the people who click reload on MacRumors forums every 2 seconds in a thread with dozens of responses about how people are feverishly downloading the 1.1.4 firmware update in the hopes that it has Flash or iChat.

The IT and wireless press, analysts, and others won't really care much if the first release is a week late, or whether it's a beta.

Fast Shadow

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2004
Hollywood, CA
So they're having an event to announce the plan to release in June something that was promised in February? If Apple would be more realistic with their release dates in the first place, this wouldn't happen.

chrisgeleven

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2002
Well technically, they never said it would be a final SDK. They just said a SDK will be released in February.

I guess it depends how selective they are with the beta SDK. If they let anyone use it, then I think no one will care that the final one comes out later.

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2003
That's pretty much what I figured from an invitation to a "roadmap." Looking forward to solutions on the horizon that allow storing and viewing PDF and Word files (without email) along with WiFi print drivers.

seamuskrat

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
New Jersey USA
Great News

This is in fact a good sign Apple is serious.

1) A SDK is no a simple thing to put together and make it good. This means they are taking the time to do a good one.

2) A full featured SDK is better than a pared down SDK

3) Announcing at WWDC is serious stuff and shows Apple wants this platform to have legs

4) Probably shows that a vocal group changed Apple's mind or at least they were surprised by the sales of the Touch/iPhone. I think this shift that the Touch is a wifi platform may be the foundation of this SDK at Apple. This will turn out to be more than just a builder for the phone and touch, but something more. Like an SDK mobile OS system.

I think that the uproar caught Apple off guard a bit, but they quickly decided the best way to ensure success was to make this a platform and eco-system. A simple SDK kit would make a mini eco-system, but a fukll fledge mobile OS strategy does so much more. Rome was not built in a day so it takes time.

While is sucks to have the toos in beta format, I think it menas they will be robust and have a solid roadmap for the future of the platform.

ibwb

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2006
That might be right, but then surely Apple would of known how much work it takes. So why tell people they'll have an SDK in developers hands by February?

Steve never said how many developers... if some major partners have the SDK and are working with it, then the "plan" could have been delivered already.

And a "beta" release certainly counts as having it in the hands of developers. While the toys that people could hammer out over a weekend may be fun, the real utility will be when developers have some months to build serious major applications. That could never have been February.

yoman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2003
In the Bowels of the Cosmos
However it does seem hinted that new enterprise features will be added or available to the iPhone around March 6th. Maybe that could be remote locking/disabling, self destruct iPhones, etc..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.