Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
what's going on over there in cupertino?

Jobs is counting all the money from iPod sales over the years.

The comments above (and the couple below this, and probably about 99% of the rest in this thread) typify the reaction by those who have literally no idea just how much work goes into developing such an initiative. I wouldn't go so far as to say "ignorant" or "completely unable to see the big picture beyond what new little icon they'll have on their phone", but close. Apple is taking baby steps here, and an SDK allowing third party development is a massive undertaking if you want to have an element of control over the process, and the beautiful integration people have come to expect, overall, from Apple products.

"What's going on in Cupertino?" Please. You have NO IDEA how many people are working on this, and how high a priority this is for Apple.

And you do? Calm down for goodness sake. It doesn't matter how many people are working on it. If Apple said "coming out Feb 2008" then they should deliver. If not, then they can expect a backlash of negative feedback. Promising something and not delivering on time really annoys a lot of people.

Steve Jobs should just say the year that things are due to come out, because recently, he has been lying.

jhande

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2006
Denmark
Much as I'd like to see the SDK, I hope that they'll delay till it's out of beta. I'd hate to see a Vista situation.

LiveForever

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2007
Bear in mind that this is apples FIRST mobile phone. Samsunk, Nokeeah et al have been in this for years.

Its really not bad for a first effort is it ...

In a while there will be a full range of apple iphones covering all bases.

This is the future money spinner for apple and they will exploit it to its full.

The range may be"

Basic Shuffle type iphone
Nano iphone
Classic iphone
pda tablet iphone

and beyond iphone??

Be patient- I have to as here in Australia we can't legally get them;)

Columbo X

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2007
UK
Stability first

As far as SDKs go, I'd rather a stable well thought out system that is robust and does what I want - it's annoying trying to develop against an API that is not stable (I remember early GLSL compilers in ATI / nVidia drivers didn't exactly perform according to spec. Mind you, some would say that's true even now!)

In drawing a comparison between Apple's APIs and Microsoft's, I wanted to develop an application to stream video to an OpenGL texture. On Mac OS it was easy - CoreVideo - it is well thought out and does what is says on the tin! My Windows version was not so easy. Aside from the Quicktime API for Windows, I found a low-level media plug-in architecture which ties in with DX 9, Managed DirectX and WPF. I've not done much in C# / XAML / WPF, so went for the Managed DX option. This worked a treat up to the point you closed the application. It crashed every time. A documented bug in the API explained why this occurred. What got me was that MS noted they had no intention of fixing it. Why? Well, at this point WFP was gaining momentum. at the expense it seems of Managed DX. I just feel MS don't know where they're going with their APIs sometimes. I felt more time planning where they were going with this would not have created a bunch of (in some cases partially implemented) APIs.

So, I'd rather Apple take their time to get a decent system with some longevity. Someone did mention the problem of investing time in app development only to be faced with this delay. I agree with this to some extent. I think Apple's secrecy makes it difficult to plan against future Apple/Mac OS products you want to develop, unless I guess you've paid Premium or Select Developer rates. I'd like to see some details of the API even if it is delayed beyond next week.

needthephone

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2006
sydney
I agree, they should take their time and get it right. Rome wasn't built in a day, Michelangelo knew not to rush. This is going to be with is for years to come so they have to establish a solid stable platform to build on.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
If Apple said "coming out Feb 2008" then they should deliver. If not, then they can expect a backlash of negative feedback. Promising something and not delivering on time really annoys a lot of people.
Steve Jobs should just say the year that things are due to come out, because recently, he has been lying.

They said "plan to" release in Feb. That's a huge difference in meaning from "It will come out in Feb". It's a modifier clause, saying that bar unforseen events, they'd get it out in Feb. Somethings happened, it's being sorted, they're 2 weeks behind schedule. Big calamity. I think you shouldn't slander/defame Jobs without good reason. Unless you live under a bridge...

"A lot of people" I'd be interested to hear that number, excluding mac forum members (i.e. the majority of normal iPhone users).

Calm down for goodness sake ;)

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
They said "plan to" release in Feb. That's a huge difference in meaning from "It will come out in Feb". It's a modifier clause, saying that bar unforseen events, they'd get it out in Feb. Somethings happened, it's being sorted, they're 2 weeks behind schedule. Big calamity. I think you shouldn't slander/defame Jobs without good reason. Unless you live under a bridge...

"A lot of people" I'd be interested to hear that number, excluding mac forum members (i.e. the majority of normal iPhone users).

Calm down for goodness sake ;)

I agree. I couldn't remember what Jobs said. Plan to release in Q1/Feb whatever, that's fine. I don't even have an iPhone, so I couldn't care less really. Just saying that I think with this, Leopard and a few other things, Apple is becoming a larger and larger machine and not many of us are liking it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.