Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SilentLoner

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
I have a 1.1.4 16gb iPhone with wifi and push yahoo email on it had it off charge at 11.30 GMT its now 19 46 and I have used it for around 15 20 minutes surfing, couple of emails and a load of texts. About 5 or 7, two minutes calls. IRS now down battery wise by 25% so its at 75% full.

gadgetdad

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
On my iPhone
I too have noticed less battery life in the 3 days I have had 1.1.4. I even turned off checking email every 15 minutes. Its now only on demand.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
What's the best way to test this?

Charge to MAX then play iPod while asleep and in Airplane Mode? I can't be without my iPhone for 24 hours...

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I'm a heavy texter (100+/day, luckily most on the AT&T network) and I've noticed no difference in battery perfomance since the update. I always lock the phone immediately after hitting send and i'm usually around 50 or 60 percent at the end of the day.

I'm glad I'm not having this problem. Have any of those experiencing this tried restoring back to 1.1.3 to see if the problems goes away?

Forgot to mention that my WiFi is constantly on, brightness is at 75% and automatic email check is turned off since I use Yahoo push.

polishmacuser

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2007
Los Angeles
i think my battery is better
usage: 3:32 minutes
Standby: 1 day 19 hours
and almost 1/3 of the battery used so its pretty good and i was on the internet checked mail and play over 40 minutes of music too :)

Smith288

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
I have noticed a huge drop in battery life since 1.1.4. I thought perhaps it was my jailbreak so im going to try how it is reverting back to factory without the jailbreak

drumcat

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
Otautahi, Aotearoa
Not sure, but...

I have had my phone drop into "charge me" shut offs. A power cycle, and suddenly, it's back to the half-power it was.

My guess is that there's a math problem in whatever is calculating remaining battery life. Something isn't measuring it properly, and the software is reacting based on that. Since it's a firmware introduction, it's likely that however they were calculating it has changed, and for the worse.

I could think of a hundred permutations on the cause, but I can say that it is indeed a 1.1.4 introduction. Raise that bug, folks.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
I have had my phone drop into "charge me" shut offs. A power cycle, and suddenly, it's back to the half-power it was.

My guess is that there's a math problem in whatever is calculating remaining battery life. Something isn't measuring it properly, and the software is reacting based on that. Since it's a firmware introduction, it's likely that however they were calculating it has changed, and for the worse.

I could think of a hundred permutations on the cause, but I can say that it is indeed a 1.1.4 introduction. Raise that bug, folks.
But not everyone is experiencing this problem.

My phone now has 2 days 19 hours standby
5 hours 40 minutes usage and the battery is still half full.

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
i took my iphone off the charger last night at full charge...i use my iphone as an alarm clock as well and it was already at 75% this morning after snoozing a few times. email checking off, wifi off. i certainly don't remember losing this much battery life under 1.1.3.

MM07

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
Add me to this list as well.

I used to get almost four days in between charges. I do have airplane mode on for 7 hours a day while I'm at work.

I would get maybe 3 days + 12 hours standby and 4+ hours usage.

Also, for me Edge is slower and overall my phone is a little sluggish.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
Since 1.1.4, I just had the best battery life I have ever had on my iPhone. 4 days, 10 hours with 8 hours, 20 minutes usage. I finally put it on the charger last night, it hadn't been on the charger since Tuesday.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
I don't konw if it's my 16 GB phone or 1.1.4, but my battery life is just miserable compared to my old 8 GB phone.

lithman

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2008
My battery life is WAY worse.

I used to wake up at 6:30 and not charge my phone until 10:30 at night. After talking on it during the day, web browsing, email checking.. it would still be at like 75-80% life.

Now it drains life like nothing. After checking emails in the morning I'm already down to like 85%. Now my normal day ends at like 30% battery life. If I ever went a night or forgot my charger I probably wouldn't make it to the next morning.

~Phi

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2007
chicago
With 1.1.4 my battery indicator definitely seems messed up. I'll hit the 20% mark after 2.5 - 3 hours of usage and then it will last another 2 plus hours before it dies.

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
Very interesting on the observations for this thread

For my iPhone, the average stats are approx 3-4 hours of use and I recharge every other night and I still have approx 40% charge left. Bluetooth and WiFi are on 24 hours a day. Email is manual check. My first phone had a battery issue in that it would only hold a charge for 8 hours. Replaced that in July of last year and have not had a change in battery life since. I have upgraded with every update and do NOT run a hacked phone.

I do drain my phone to dead every six weeks and do a full overnight recharge.
I also turn my phone completely OFF for about 3 min every night before going to bed.

I had two incidents where the battery drained in less then a day but after troubleshooting, found that a program was stuck in operation after I had shut it down. By turning the phone off every night, this ensures that nothing is stuck in the running mode while I sleep.

IMO...the software updates have "nothing" to do with battery life. The user either has a bad battery (which is known), an application is running in the background (example...flytunes will continue to run if you do not close the window) or the user is simply using his iPhone more then he used to because of a new feature, app or whatever.

Hope this helps some, good luck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.