Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NeoMayhem

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2003
My indicator bar seems to drop faster at first, but the total use time is no worse then before.

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
so this seems odd, right?

usage: 1 hour, 34 minutes
standby: 20 hours, 39 minutes

wifi off.
auto email checking off.

i have about 35% remaining.

anything i'm doing wrong?

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
Brightness?

below 50% and automatic brightness also on.

the thing is, i'd have no problems taking mine back to apple for a replacement (it's only a few weeks old), but i put on an invisible skin and don't want to go through that again! :)

LastZion

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2006
I've noticed a big difference in mine since 1.1.3.
For those that notice improvements are you on 3.9 BL? I didn't downgrade my BL, I just used Ziphone to restore and upgrade.

I have about 2:30 usage and 9:44 Standby and I am at 1/2, wifi off for 1/2 of that.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
For those that notice improvements are you on 3.9 BL? I didn't downgrade my BL, I just used Ziphone to restore and upgrade.

I have about 2:30 usage and 9:44 Standby and I am at 1/2, wifi off for 1/2 of that.

I have three phones. The two that are not unlocked or jailbroken in any way have the best battery life on 1.1.4. One of them had usage of just over 8 hours and 4 days 10 hours standby, the other had 6 hours usage and 3 days 8 hours standby. The phone that is unlocked, I don't even use as a phone though it has a GoPhone sim in it, it's just used for FlyTunes mostly and stays in the dock.

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003

I have three phones. The two that are not unlocked or jailbroken in any way have the best battery life on 1.1.4. One of them had usage of just over 8 hours and 4 days 10 hours standby, the other had 6 hours usage and 3 days 8 hours standby. The phone that is unlocked, I don't even use as a phone though it has a GoPhone sim in it, it's just used for FlyTunes mostly and stays in the dock.
these usage and standby times make me envious. when i get back from the east coast i'll take mine in for an exchange...

Shap

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2008
Funny I was just coming here to make a post to see if anyone else was having this issue.

My battery life since updating has been very short. I've been having to keep it on the charger twice as much as usual lately. Also seem like it isn't charging as fast, but that could just be me.

Hope they figure this out cause for a while there the battery was lasting forever, now its needing constant charging.

akeem923

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2008
I have had my phone drop into "charge me" shut offs. A power cycle, and suddenly, it's back to the half-power it was.

My guess is that there's a math problem in whatever is calculating remaining battery life. Something isn't measuring it properly, and the software is reacting based on that. Since it's a firmware introduction, it's likely that however they were calculating it has changed, and for the worse.

I could think of a hundred permutations on the cause, but I can say that it is indeed a 1.1.4 introduction. Raise that bug, folks.

I experienced that alot!!! could it be a bad battery? should i exchange?

hvlien

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2006
Add me to the list of users who has experienced a huge drop in battery life after upgrading to 1.1.4. In fact, the phone itself is acting very weird, like not being able to stay connected to my wireless network and the time was off, even though it was set to sync with network time.

My battery life has gone from about 2.5 days down to less than 15 hours yesterday. I took it off the charger before work yesterday (around 7:30) and the battery died around 11:00ish last night. Battery life dropped to about 33% this evening after work. I'm hoping it's a bug with the software and a restore will fix things.

I'm just hoping the battery doesn't take a crap out of nowhere like my macBook and no longer hold a charge. I bought the phone at launch and I use the phone maybe 3 days a week, so I know it's well within Apple's document "charge/recharge" cycles.

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
restoring now...will see if that does anything (doubt it, but worth the try)...

UPDATE: the restore might have worked. 8 hours later and it looks like i still have close to a full charge...previously, it lost about 30% overnight. will post another update later today...

viveroparvo

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2008
Worse battery life here too! It used to go days without charging, and now I'm charging it every day.

Help us Apple :(

LastZion

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2006
restoring now...will see if that does anything (doubt it, but worth the try)...

UPDATE: the restore might have worked. 8 hours later and it looks like i still have close to a full charge...previously, it lost about 30% overnight. will post another update later today...

Keep us posted on what happens after you reinstall some apps, assuming you have an ul/jb phone.

Mine seems better today, after reading posts about doing a restart to clear running programs.

Is there an app like a activity monitor to show what programs are active?

snapper07

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
I'm the same I used to be able to go a whole day with no need to charge with it getting the 20% warning at night on a day of heavy usage.
Now on a normal day it gets to about 3pm and it starts to look like it needs a charge and the other day I was using a lot of edge browsing and by 12 I got a 20% battery warning!
I charge it up every night so it gets topped up every 24 hours!
Not sure why it has started to eat power can't work out how a software update could make it do this!!

akeem923

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2008
update:

7 hours 28 minutes usage time
1 day and 8 hours standby time

3/4 full on the battery

i did have a problem with the battery about two days ago, but now seems to be doing well. is this a good indication of a good battery, or should i still return the iphone. because before it would be half full i would sleep it, then wake it up it will show charge battery screen? suggestions

iSamurai

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2007
ɹǝpun uʍop 'ǝuɐqsı&#
battery depleted yesterday, left to charge with charger overnight.

this morning, made a call about 20 seconds, took 5 pictures, played 1 song with the speaker (btw it was leona lewis - bleeding love - and that song is now stuck in your head), switched on and off about 10 times. friend played with cover flow for about 20 seconds.

battery now (21:35) still displays full block, but i think tomorrow it will display 1 pixel less :p

my phone stats:
on silent
auto lock 1 minute
jailbroken, installer with hardly anything installed - try to keep it clean
SSH off
edge on
wifi on

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
Keep us posted on what happens after you reinstall some apps, assuming you have an ul/jb phone.

Mine seems better today, after reading posts about doing a restart to clear running programs.

Is there an app like a activity monitor to show what programs are active?

my phone is not jb/ul. i'm waiting for the sdk announcement to decide whether to jb it or not...i'm leaning toward jb.

UPDATE: usage 1 hour 12 minutes, standby 10 hours 43 minutes
- battery icon looks full. at this time previous to the reset i would have been about 50%. things are looking good...i think i can cancel my apple store genius bar appointment for tomorrow morning ;)

Shap

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2008
update:

7 hours 28 minutes usage time
1 day and 8 hours standby time

3/4 full on the battery

i did have a problem with the battery about two days ago, but now seems to be doing well. is this a good indication of a good battery, or should i still return the iphone. because before it would be half full i would sleep it, then wake it up it will show charge battery screen? suggestions

7 hour 28 minute usage time and you say you have 3/4 full battery?? If that's the case than I'm having MAJOR battery issues. I'm pretty much connecting this thing to the charge throughout the day as much as possible so it doesn't die when i'm on the road later. I have a hard time believing those numbers. Not that i'm saying your bs, but from what I'm getting those are a ten fold over mine. I'll do a full charge now an post stats once I get the 20% battery life warning.

akeem923

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2008
7 hour 28 minute usage time and you say you have 3/4 full battery?? If that's the case than I'm having MAJOR battery issues. I'm pretty much connecting this thing to the charge throughout the day as much as possible so it doesn't die when i'm on the road later. I have a hard time believing those numbers. Not that i'm saying your bs, but from what I'm getting those are a ten fold over mine. I'll do a full charge now an post stats once I get the 20% battery life warning.

not even BSin you. right now it is at:

damn! I just went to wake it up from sleep and it is showing the "charge battery" icon. I think i am going to take it to the apple store tomorrow for a replacement. it did that with no warning of low battery.

Shap

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2008
not even BSin you. right now it is at:

damn! I just went to wake it up from sleep and it is showing the "charge battery" icon. I think i am going to take it to the apple store tomorrow for a replacement. it did that with no warning of low battery.

Uhh I was saying you had GREAT battery life, not bad. I dont think there is any way possible I could use the phone for 7+ hours talk time and 21 hours standby and have 3/4 battery left.

Maybe your indicator was off, you need to have it fully recharged before it resets the usage count, or reset it manually.

akeem923

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2008
i did a home and sleep reset and it came back to being 50% full. I think its a issue with the battery. sometimes it shows charge battery icon, when it is not empty. has anyone else experienced that?

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
For me, I would say the same, if not better battery life. I have been hearing battery worsen claims here since day 1 of the first 1.0.1 update (or whatever the first update was)? Anyway, It may be true, but on a phone to phone basis, and mine seems to be doing quite well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.