Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rogerthat

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2007
I just started using Skype and use a Plantronics USB headset/microphone. It works pretty well calling a phone but has a really annoying side tone when calling another computer.
My problem, though, is that since I started using the headset, just a few days ago, my built in microphone and speaker and the ability to plug in just a headset and listen have vanished. Also, the volume icon in the menu bar has disappeared. If I go to System preferences, there is only plantronics in the menu. I've tried restarting with no change. It used to work just fine...where might it have gone?

mackindergarten

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2008
Hi!

Try to repair disk permissions using Disk Utility (/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.app). I had some trouble with the sound on my Powerbook, too. Repairing Disk Permissions solved it.

Hope this works.

/Rupert

rogerthat

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2007
Thanks

I have to go to work now, but I'll try that this evening when I get back. I hadn't thought of that.
Thanks,
Rog

rogerthat

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2007
It's baaaack!

Rupert,
Don't know why or how...had to restart for another issue...tried to run disk permissions and it hung up so I stopped after a few...but somewhere along the line the speakers and microphone appeared in the preferences again. I do thank you for the help, mate.
Rog

mackindergarten

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2008
You're welcome! A lot of time, repairing disk permissions seems to do some magic to your Mac.

I'm happy, it worked for you.

/Rupert

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.