Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Mar 13, 2008, 12:13 AM   #1
Wharrgarbl
macrumors member

Any way to prevent sleep when closing the lid?

On my powerbook, you could close the lid, plug in a display+keyboard+mouse+power, and it would wake up and run fine with the lid shut.

1) is this possible on the MBA? (Can't test as I don't have a display)

2) can the MBA be kept awake when the lid is shut with *nothing* plugged in? (i.e. is there software or a hack to do this?)

I realize that this may have implications regarding venting/cooling and screen life, but in some situations I'd still like to be able to.

Anyone?

thanks!!

Wharrgarbl
Wharrgarbl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2008, 12:19 AM   #2
xUKHCx
Administrator emeritus

I think InsomniaX will do what you want, it works on my MB but haven't tried it on a MBA.
xUKHCx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2008, 12:23 AM   #3
Wharrgarbl
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xUKHCx View Post
I think InsomniaX will do what you want
Works perfectly!

Now my MBA is one step closer to being the world's more powerful iPod Touch.

I wonder if the Modbook guy will make a Modbook Air -- that would be a dream come true!
Wharrgarbl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2008, 12:43 AM   #4
edwardjung
macrumors newbie

careful...

I've been running InsomniaX while I have my MBA hooked up to a 24" monitor and bluetooth peripherals. Problem is that doing so drives up the heat. Hardware Monitor shows the CPU temps going up almost 10 degrees C, even when I detect monitors to shut off the monitor on the MBA.
edwardjung is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2008, 12:53 AM   #5
bov
macrumors 6502

will insomniax work for things like keeping downloads going when the lid is closed?
bov is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2008, 01:49 AM   #6
iHerzeleid
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bov View Post
will insomniax work for things like keeping downloads going when the lid is closed?
yes.
iHerzeleid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2008, 09:44 AM   #7
Terwal
macrumors regular

I think I read in a different thread that the MBA worked with the lid closed... by default ?

That once hooked to a monitor, a keyboard and a mouse: you close the lid, it seems that it goes to sleep but after ~30 seconds, if you move the mouse, you see it coming back up on the monitor.

I have to say I have not tested myself yet since I miss the cable to hook it to a monitor...
Old Mar 13, 2008, 10:35 AM   #8
Phil A.
macrumors 68040

Can confirm that the MBA works like any other recent apple notebook and will operate lid closed as long as you have an external monitor and power plugged in. I run mine tethered to my 23" ACD at my desk but normally leave the lid open so I can use the MBA screen as a desktop extension
Old Mar 13, 2008, 10:49 AM   #9
n0de
macrumors 6502

I can confirm that closing the lid, with an external display attached, does work fine.

Like the previous poster mentioned, it will go to sleep for a little bit then wake up with mouse movement.
n0de is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2008, 11:47 AM   #10
Wingnut330
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. View Post
Can confirm that the MBA works like any other recent apple notebook and will operate lid closed as long as you have an external monitor and power plugged in. I run mine tethered to my 23" ACD at my desk but normally leave the lid open so I can use the MBA screen as a desktop extension
I didn't think the MBA supported a 23" ACD. Are you having any issues with your setup?
Old Oct 6, 2010, 02:22 PM   #11
MobiusStrip
macrumors member

nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. View Post
Can confirm that the MBA works like any other recent apple notebook
I have a MacBook Pro about six months old, and it goes into sleep mode when you close the lid with an external monitor and power supply hooked up. Useless.
MobiusStrip is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air