Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Nov 2, 2003, 10:38 PM   #1
davebl
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to davebl
External DVD Writers......and iDVD

So I can't afford to put a superdrive in every mac I own, so I have the idea of buying one external one and sharing it with all of my macs, and yes, a dreaded pc.

Now correct me if I am wrong but the superdrive apples uses is a Pioneer DVR-A04/104. Pioneer now has out their DVR-A06/106 which is a multi-format writer.

My idea: obtain a new 106 writer, and put it in an external firewire case and use it on all my machines.

I know that Toast will work with it (or so I hope) but what about iDVD. My local Apple Sales Consultant tells me that iDVD will only recognize it if the dvd writer is a) internal and b)in a certain logical position (only on some models).

does anyone have any light that they can shed on this subject?
davebl is offline   0
Old Nov 2, 2003, 10:58 PM   #2
LethalWolfe
macrumors Demi-God

Re: External DVD Writers......and iDVD

Quote:
Originally posted by davebl
So I can't afford to put a superdrive in every mac I own, so I have the idea of buying one external one and sharing it with all of my macs, and yes, a dreaded pc.

Now correct me if I am wrong but the superdrive apples uses is a Pioneer DVR-A04/104. Pioneer now has out their DVR-A06/106 which is a multi-format writer.

My idea: obtain a new 106 writer, and put it in an external firewire case and use it on all my machines.

I know that Toast will work with it (or so I hope) but what about iDVD. My local Apple Sales Consultant tells me that iDVD will only recognize it if the dvd writer is a) internal and b)in a certain logical position (only on some models).

does anyone have any light that they can shed on this subject?
iDVD does not burn to external drives.

Lethal
LethalWolfe is offline   0
Old Nov 3, 2003, 12:02 AM   #3
LimeLite
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to LimeLite
Musty be internal, and must, at the very least, be the same model as Apple branded drives.
LimeLite is offline   0
Old Nov 3, 2003, 07:30 AM   #4
5300cs
macrumors 68000

Are the internal ones expensive in the US? I went around here looking for one, and no one had one- NO ONE. I went to literally 7 different stores and not one place had superdrives. Apparently it had something to do with all the superdrives being updated amd the stores were waiting for new shippments and/or because the G5 was out. I was going to buy an external as well, but lucked out finding a 104 on auction for around $200 (25000.)

edit: Oh yeah, I remember when I put the superdrive in my MDD PowerMac, it wouldn't open properly because the face plate was bumping up against the frame, so I pulled it (the face plate) off, and now it works fine

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers