Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Johnzon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2007
Seattle, WA
I've been getting pretty frequent kernel panics for about 8 months now (every two weeks or so.)

Running:
Mac OSX 10.4.11
Macbook 2.0 GHz
2GB ram

it happens when i quit safari (only sometimes - I usually save all my work before I quit safari, just in case) and this is consistently the backtrace readout of panic.log:

<Kernel loadable modules in backtrace (with dependencies):
com.digidesign.mbox2.driver(7.3f117)@0xa21000
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOUSBFamily(2.7.7)@0x536000
dependency: com.apple.driver.AppleUSBMergeNub(2.7.7)@0x99b000
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOAudioFamily(1.6.0b7)@0x715000>

It's the only problem my mbox2 mini gives me, so I haven't really bothered complaining to digidesign yet. I just assume it will be something they've fixed for leopard (i plan to upgrade soon.)

Any ideas/comments? :confused:

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
FYI, this thread is over 2 years old.

You have the latest drivers from digidesign though right?

Cause it is definitely the cause of the kernel panic.

Johnzon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2007
Seattle, WA
yeah I was about to go start a fresh thread over in Digital Audio. and yeah i've got the latest drivaz.

digidesign = great software (i.e. protools)

digidesign ≠ great hardware

Johnzon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2007
Seattle, WA
and yeah i've got the latest drivaz
Oops! :eek: I spoke too soon. Looks like I'm still running Pro Tools LE 7.3, and 7.4 came out recently. Is updating the app the same as updating hardware drivers? I'd rather not shell out the 49.00 to upgrade if there's a free driver... and especially if I switch to Leopard in a few months (whenever Digidesign adds 10.5 support for Pro Tools LE) ...

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
I am not sure, I am not a Digital Audio user..

But from past experience, no, updating the Software (Pro Tools) is not the same as updating the driver for a hardware device.
I'd look on their site for drivers for the hardware device and make sure I was up to date there (assuming they have separate driver installers).

Johnzon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2007
Seattle, WA
nothing.... and i even get the kernel panics when the mbox isn't plugged in, like when i take my laptop to the library on campus. quit safari, then boom. kernel.

junior

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2003
nothing.... and i even get the kernel panics when the mbox isn't plugged in, like when i take my laptop to the library on campus. quit safari, then boom. kernel.

Then I doubt it's a problem with the mbox.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
What does the kp log say when you get a kp and the mbox is not plugged in?

It could still be the driver causing the kp..

Johnzon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2007
Seattle, WA
panic log is identical after a kp, whether or not mbox is plugged in.

in order to make some progress in this thread, i'm going to make a proactive move and just upgrade to Pro Tools 7.4, cough up the 49 bucks. More info soon to follow...

junior

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2003
panic log is identical after a kp, whether or not mbox is plugged in.

in order to make some progress in this thread, i'm going to make a proactive move and just upgrade to Pro Tools 7.4, cough up the 49 bucks. More info soon to follow...

Make sure you uninstall or delete everything there is regarding degidesign or protools before you do, just to make sure the old core audio driver doesn't continue to mess up your OS.

jemalwade

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2008
I get Kernel Panics from the MBox on OS 10.5.5

I just found this thread and must say I have a brand new MACBook PRO running 10.5.5 and have installed ProTools 7.4.2 and I've been having A LOT of kernel panics and every one in the console log says it has to do with MBox drivers as you mentioned here.
And yes, it crashes when I'm not even using ProTools.
I called Digidesign and they said they knew nothing about this and that it couldn't have anything to do with their drivers, so they're obviously ignoring it.
Any ideas?

junior

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2003
I just found this thread and must say I have a brand new MACBook PRO running 10.5.5 and have installed ProTools 7.4.2 and I've been having A LOT of kernel panics and every one in the console log says it has to do with MBox drivers as you mentioned here.
And yes, it crashes when I'm not even using ProTools.
I called Digidesign and they said they knew nothing about this and that it couldn't have anything to do with their drivers, so they're obviously ignoring it.
Any ideas?

Go to the LE forum here: Digidesign User Conference
If you keep at it, they'll respond. There'll also be users there that may be able to help.

Sammio2

Cancelled
Aug 16, 2008
Finally...

I too have been having this exact problem, although not specifically when i quit safari. I have a Digidesign Mbox 2 Mini, and am running Pro tools LE v7.4.2 I have the latest updates from Digidesign and Apple. My Mac seems incredibly unstable though! I get the exact same (or very similar) kernal panic log as you guys with the...
Code:
<Kernel loadable modules in backtrace (with dependencies):
com.digidesign.mbox2.driver(7.3f117)@0xa21000
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOUSBFamily(2.7.7)@0x536000
dependency: com.apple.driver.AppleUSBMergeNub(2.7.7)@0x99b000
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOAudioFamily(1.6.0b7)@0x715000>

These panics can happen when my Mbox is not plugged in, just like you guys. And also happen regardless of whether i am running pro-tools or not. This is such a frustrating problem, stopping me from using my mac as it should be used!

If you guys do find a solution, please post it on here, as will I, if i can ever get to the bottom of this!

Many Thanks
Sam

Talsha

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2008
Hi there, I also have kernel panics that seem to be related to the use of a Digidesign Mbox 2 Mini and Pro tools LE v7.4.2. Using a new macbook white 2.4 GHz, 4GB RAM, only bought it 10 days ago and running running 10.5.5. So running the latest software versions. Disk utility says there are no problems found the disk. I always have the kernel panics after I shut down the Macbook after a pro tools session. But it doesnt always happen, lets say in 60% of the shut downs it gives an error. The screen just freezes after shut down and I have to shut down by pressing the on/off button for several secs. It doesnt seem to matter if the Mbox2mini is still connected to the macbook or not. When I restart the Macbook it asks if I want to send a report to apple, it contains always the same kernel panic :

Backtrace continues...
Kernel loadable modules in backtrace (with dependencies):
com.digidesign.mbox2.driver(7.4.2f1)@0xc7b000->0xc9cfff
dependency: com.apple.driver.AppleUSBMergeNub(3.0.7)@0x669000
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOAudioFamily(1.6.4b7)@0x8ff000
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOUSBFamily(3.1.5)@0x5e4000

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: coreaudiod

Still looking for a solution for it. Any ideas what to do next? Running out of ideas here. Planning on going to the apple store later today for help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.