Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Nov 7, 2003, 02:33 PM   #1
eric_n_dfw
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to eric_n_dfw Send a message via MSN to eric_n_dfw Send a message via Yahoo to eric_n_dfw Send a message via Skype™ to eric_n_dfw
Dual monitors with Quartz Extreme and 2 cards

Is anyone out there running a dual display Mac with an AGP 2x, Quartz Extreme and a PCI video card for the 2nd monitor.

Just wondering how well the UI feels with one monitor getting QE acceleration and the other not.
eric_n_dfw is offline   0
Old Nov 7, 2003, 03:30 PM   #2
arn
macrumors god

Send a message via AIM to arn
It feels fine.

No real issues and not real noticable _except_ with Expose. Expose is not really very usable with one screen non-QE and the other QE.

I've ordered a card to get dual QE for my quicksilver as a result.

But for day to day stuff otherwise, it's fine.

arn
arn is offline   0
Old Nov 7, 2003, 03:54 PM   #3
eric_n_dfw
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to eric_n_dfw Send a message via MSN to eric_n_dfw Send a message via Yahoo to eric_n_dfw Send a message via Skype™ to eric_n_dfw
Cool.

I've got a Radeon 8500 at home so both monitors get QE but here at work, my G4 500 has the original AGP Rage 128 card and a PCI Rage 128 card. My company won't buy me another video card since the only reason I have a Mac is because it would be collecting dust otherwise.

<rant>(Never mind it's doing a better job for my Java development than my Win2K machine!) </rant>

So I'm thinking about pikcing up a cheap Radeon AGP card for $40 on eBay - it's not a dual monitor one though. I can buy a dual monitor nVidia card there for about $70 too. The question then is, is $30 extra bucks (plus an ADC-->VGA adapter) worth it for both displays to be QE accelerated?
eric_n_dfw is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers