Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

transam7816

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2008
i just finished downloading the PwnageTool thats avaiable here http://ipp.iphwn.org/PwnageTool_1.0.zip

picture10od7.png

Hudzilla

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2007
England
Anyone figured it out yet? is it easy to use, what d oyou have to install, does it install installer.app etc, give us opinions dammit!!!:D;)

Yoram

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2007
ipsw files

well I've got the pwnage tool, but where do I get these .ipsw files? I've searched, but maybe not enough. Can't find them. Also, will the program automatically install stuff like "installer.app"?

mhuk01

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2006
South West England
well I've got the pwnage tool, but where do I get these .ipsw files? I've searched, but maybe not enough. Can't find them. Also, will the program automatically install stuff like "installer.app"?

cant give you the link to the 2.0 iphone firmware, but head over to osx86.hu #iphone room on irc (use colloquy or another irc app) and ask for it there, someone has the link.

Yoram

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2007
ok, well have you got any links for the older versions, such as 1.1.4? Thanks for your help
UPDATE I found the link to download the official firmware images from apple
Now I would like to use the additional features of the tool, but need images of the 3.9 bootloader and the 4.6 bootloader. Can't find them anywhere on the net!

lofight

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2007
Only working for Mac users .. no Windows Pwnage yet !?

This is what 9to5mac.Com says

9to5mac.com said:
The plan (4 weeks ago) was to release a Mac tool only. This was decided because of the lack of reliable Mac filesystem tools on Windows, and the fact that the task of porting them would be too time consuming.

spamdumpster

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
Can't figure out how this works. I have the 1.2 iPod Touch software, loaded on my device. If I load it into the Pwnage Tool and click iPwner, it fails. I tried to build a custom ipsw file and load that into Pwnage and it tells me it "can't recognize version of .ipsw file"

I'm going to try to downgrade to 1.1.4, and then use the Pwnage tool to upgrade to 1.2 beta.

* EDIT: RTFM - you have to have 1.1.3 or 1.1.4 loaded onto your device before and then upgrade with the Pwnage tool. Luckily, I have iTunes 7.5 on a PC, so downgrading will be easy.

** EDIT: Doesn't seem to support 1.2 Beta, at least not for iPod Touch or at least not the beta I have. I'm now have an "pwned" version 1.1.4. But it's not jailbroken (at least there's no installer.app). The only thing that's different is that the apple logo on startup is replaced by a pineappl. I must be doing something wrong.

lofight

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2007
Can't figure out how this works. I have the 1.2 iPod Touch software, loaded on my device. If I load it into the Pwnage Tool and click iPwner, it fails. I tried to build a custom ipsw file and load that into Pwnage and it tells me it "can't recognize version of .ipsw file"

'm going to try to downgrade to 1.1.4, and then use the Pwnage tool to upgrade to 1.2 beta.

Where did you get the 1.2 (beta) ipsw?

techguy1

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2008
London
If you're a Windows user, you dont deserve it anyways :p

Just read through the 'manual' on how to use Pwnage on another forum .. OMG .. glad to stick with Windows and Ziphone. We Windows users like to keep things simple with a couple of clicks as done using Ziphone, less room for error.
Good luck with the Pwnage .. it should create a few thousand "help" postings :D

legaleye3000

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2007
2 QUESTIONS:

1. Can you downgrade back to 1.1.4 and unlock?

2. Can you use 2.0 currently unlocked? And do ALL features work? Thanks

spamdumpster

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
Ok -- so here's what I've learned so far:

You have to (1) load the ipsw file into Pwnage, (2) then build a custom OS, and (3) and here's the important part use iTunes (not Pwnage) to load the custom OS onto the device.

When I did this with the 1.1.4 ipsw file, it restored and came out jailbroken (i.e., installer.app was installed). I'm now doing the same thing with the 1.2 beta and I will report back once it's done.

spamdumpster

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
2 QUESTIONS:

1. Can you downgrade back to 1.1.4 and unlock?

2. Can you use 2.0 currently unlocked? And do ALL features work? Thanks

You can downgrade to 1.1.4, but my understanding is that you need iTunes 7.5 to downgrade. On a pc, it's easy to install older versions of iTunes, I'm not sure how to do it on a Mac.

cadujr

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2008
Windows AND ZiPhone!!!!

Just read through the 'manual' on how to use Pwnage on another forum .. OMG .. glad to stick with Windows and Ziphone. We Windows users like to keep things simple with a couple of clicks as done using Ziphone, less room for error.
Good luck with the Pwnage .. it should create a few thousand "help" postings :D

Dude, you REALLY are in the wrong path.... bad enough you are windows user but to stick with Z, the wifi terminator, iPhone...
Don't read the zillions of post all over the net about how ziphone F^&^$& ed their phones for good?
even the official dev team site tells people about it....

spamdumpster

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
Ok - using the Pwnage Tool and my instructions above, I now have an iPod Touch, running OS 2.0 (version 2.0 (5A225c) in settings>>general>> about). BUT, there's no installer.app.

So Pwnage was able to activate 2.0, but, so far, no jailbreak.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.