Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Apr 5, 2008, 08:06 AM   #1
Alorain
macrumors newbie

Software alternative to Adobe Indesign?

Hello folks, I was wondering in all my ignorance, if there was another program available for mac that preformed a similar function to that of Adobe Indesign CS3? I have heard of a program called Swift Publisher, but that does not seem to suit my needs fully. Pages also seems to be a tad too simple for what I intend it to be. So, to restate, is there a program which performs a similar function to that of Adobe Indesign? THanks!
Old Apr 5, 2008, 08:43 AM   #2
tersono
macrumors 68000

To get that level of power, InDesign or Quark (ugh!) is the only real choice. However, if your needs aren't for the full-on pro dtp, but just something that does enough for simple newsletters and average small office/home use then there's a few alternatives - take a look at:

Multiad Creator Desktop - this is a cut-down version of a full-on pro application, and amazing value for money.

Stone Design Create - this is one of those apps that tries to do everything - vector illustration, dtp and web design. Some people swear by it.

iCalamus - descended from an early DTP app for the Amiga and Atari ST. I used it way back when on the Atari, but haven't tried it lately.

Scribus - Open source and therefore free. Powerful, but with some significant gotchas - it's dependent on XWindows and there's only PPC Mac binaries available at present. Worth a look if money is really tight, but otherwise I'd skip it.

There are a handful of others too - most notable of the rest is ReadySetGo, which is a real old-time Mac DTP, but it's starting to look a tad expensive. Personally (and as an Indesign CS3 user), if I was going to go for any of the above, it would be Multiad Creator Desktop - not least because there's an easy upgrade path to the full version (which is an excellent piece of software) should it be needed. A close second would be Stone's Create, which takes a bit of getting used to, but works well. If you're likely to need Illustrator-like functions as well, Create makes a lot of sense.

Hope this helps!
Old Apr 5, 2008, 09:09 AM   #3
Alorain
macrumors newbie

Thanks! That was really helpful. I agree with your opinion on Quark.... UGH^6
Old May 31, 2009, 10:48 AM   #4
CrackedButter
macrumors 68040

Having found this link via google, I would like to add that Scribus is now a universal binary.
Old May 31, 2009, 07:49 PM   #5
yooperguy
macrumors newbie

I am a fan of Pagestream, which I have used for years. Just this week I purchased and downloaded the version for OS X. Although this version is currently beta, my frustration in trying lesser substitutes drove me to taking a chance on it. So far, I am delighted with it.
yooperguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store