Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Nov 9, 2003, 11:19 AM   #1
DVDSP
macrumors regular

Hyperlinks in Mail.app?

In the new Mail.app in Panther is there any way to add Hyperlinks or make the URL clickable without resorting to Plain Text?

Anytime I send a link to an AOL account it comes through only as the address and can not be clicked on. So when I send an address to say, my grandmother, she can't click it and doesn't understand copy and paste and just gets confused. Same goes for my neighbor who uses Outlook, my URLs are not clickable and I always get a response from him saying "CAN'T CLICK THE LINK!!". Apparently, he doesn't understand copy and paste either.

By the way, Plain Text works if I send to my neighbor but not to AOL.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Old Nov 9, 2003, 01:53 PM   #2
johnnyjibbs
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to johnnyjibbs Send a message via MSN to johnnyjibbs
I can't understand why HTML support isn't built into Mail. I find it really annoying not to be able to compose messages with simple hyperlinks and the like. Even rich text doesn't always display properly on Windows machines.

It's a pity, because I love the simplicity of Mail - it's the best thing out there IMO.

One thing I have found though... If you type in the full email address or full web address (including http://), you can't click it in Mail, but it appears to get converted to a hyperlink when you send the message.
johnnyjibbs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2003, 02:14 PM   #3
TEG
macrumors 604

Send a message via ICQ to TEG Send a message via AIM to TEG Send a message via MSN to TEG Send a message via Yahoo to TEG Send a message via Skype™ to TEG
Try using the trailing slash trick. When you add a hyperlink, type is out with the http:// then at the end and one more / that should automaticaly turn it into a Hyperlink.

TEG
Old Dec 3, 2003, 06:40 PM   #4
mwjd299
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally posted by TEG
Try using the trailing slash trick. When you add a hyperlink, type is out with the http:// then at the end and one more / that should automaticaly turn it into a Hyperlink.

TEG
I am having problems inserting hyperlinks also. Sometimes links are very long and are impossible to type out. Your way does work, but Apple needs to address this problem and be able to paste hyperlinks into messages.
Have had my 20" iMac for 5 days now, Nice!!
mwjd299 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2003, 08:08 AM   #5
Ambrose Chapel
macrumors 65816

similar question

is there a way to insert a link in Mail but have the text read something other than the URL? like how we can do it here on the forums.
Ambrose Chapel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2003, 08:53 AM   #6
johnnyjibbs
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to johnnyjibbs Send a message via MSN to johnnyjibbs
That's what I originally wanted to find out. The answer appears to be no. Shame, because it would be such an easy feature to implement (like in Netscape Mail). Even Entourage can't handle it!
johnnyjibbs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2003, 10:39 AM   #7
Ambrose Chapel
macrumors 65816

yeah i used to do it all the time in netscape when i was running OS 9...guess i'm off to Apple's OS X feedback page to make a feature request...
Ambrose Chapel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2008, 07:35 AM   #8
madsh
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to madsh
Have a look under Edit->Link->Add...

As mentioned here http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...70321094439128 it is possible, all though not implemented in the most elegant way...
Old Feb 3, 2008, 09:40 AM   #9
snakedoctor
macrumors member

I dont know about AOL. However I use rich text with mail, and if I copy and paste a link into a new message and hit enter/return then it goes as a link.

Apple needs to look at how Outlook/Outlook express does it (so does Entourage). In Outlook it turns into a hyper link while composing so you KNOW right then its going as a hyper link. I am always hoping it does with mail.

Still I like Mail, so simple. Entourage is a Frankenstein of Email apps, trying to be Outlook and Apple like....miserably failing at both. But I run it for the business accounts I keep that use Exchange.
snakedoctor is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store